Worth mentioning a growing website to my agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUwriting

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm totally new to this, so please smack me if this is stupid.

I have an agent for my book and we've just started the submission process. I haven't heard from him yet (I've read this can take up to 6 months so I'm trying to be patient!)

Anyway, a successful Irish author contacted me in January and asked me to help him build a discussion community based on the topic that both of our books cover (mine is nothing like his - fiction vs non fiction - but both on the topic of psychopathy). So we built it, and the numbers have been climbing nicely ever since. We're currently at 12,000 unique visitors per month (and next month will grow more). Not anything incredible, but definitely a decent audience! And the forums are very active as well.

The author told me that if my book were to ever get published, I could absolutely advertise it on the website. The user base there is really loyal and most of them have all bought his book.

Is it worth bugging my agent and mentioning this? Would it even be something an agent would bring up to a publisher? I know they are very busy, and I don't want to come across as an idiot - the idealist in me tends to do that a lot :)

Thanks!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
There's no harm in mentioning it, but it's going to be irrelevant until your book actually sells to a publisher.

It's a truism of sales that a great marketing campaign makes a weak product fail faster.

An editor only cares about whether your book is good, not whether you have the capacity to advertise it. Until s/he is sure you have a great product, s/he will have zero interest in your proposed marketing campaign.

FUwriting

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both!

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Is it worth bugging my agent and mentioning this? Would it even be something an agent would bring up to a publisher? I know they are very busy, and I don't want to come across as an idiot - the idealist in me tends to do that a lot

A ready-made potential readership of 12,000? And that just includes the folks who happened to find your website, which may represent about 1% of the potential readership.

You should definitely keep that a secret.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
It would be good information for your agent to put on the TIP sheet (the title information page). Publishers like to know that you can help promote and market your own work and 12,000 unique visitors per month is worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.