PDA

View Full Version : Rizzoli and Isles

Gilroy Cullen
06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay, after an extensive search, I found no thread that focused on this show.

Which seemed weird since I saw references to it on 20 other threads. :>

So ... Jane and Mara.

What are people thinking of the show?

veinglory
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I find both main characters irritating and the plots highly contrived. But that's just me.

Gravity
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Me, I like it. But then I'm a bear of little brain...

dragonangel517
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I love it. Angie Harmon is one of my girl crushes. I bought the first book in the series, but haven't read it yet.

gothicangel
06-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I find both main characters irritating and the plots highly contrived. But that's just me.

I've only read one or two of the books, but I seem to remember thinking this.

I assume this has only aired in the US so far?

Celia Cyanide
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I keep hearing about this show. What is it? What's it even about? Angie Harmon annoys me every time she shows up on SVU, but I'm still curious about this show.

KellyAssauer
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM

'Highly contrived' is being way too polite... and I want to see strong female main characters in a real world drama... but I can't watch this.

JQTrotter
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I keep hearing about this show. What is it? What's it even about? Angie Harmon annoys me every time she shows up on SVU, but I'm still curious about this show.

It's on TNT, they claim is was the highest rating show last summer. Though, personally, I can't believe it. It's pretty much you garden variety cop show just with female lead characters instead of male.

Angie Harmon plays Jane Rizzoli. She is a tom-boy, youngest ever to make detective, gruff girl that doesn't think she's pretty even though she obviously is and works for the Boston PD. She comes from a pretty stereotypical Italian Boston family. She has an overbearing mom and three brothers.

Sasha Alexander plays Maura Isles. She is a medical examiner, from a rich family (her mom has a weirdly British accent even though she worked as a professor at Harvard) and Jane's BFF. She's like Adrian Monk from USA's hit detective show, which means brilliant but socially awkward. Except around men, she's not at all. Oh, and she's a fashion diva. To top that off, she's also adopted and her dad turns out to be (spoiler alter) some Irish crime boss to add in ridiculous, unrealistic, drama.

I think the show really play on a lesbian audience, which isn't bad at all, where Maura is the girly-girl and Jane is the butch-girl (aka stereotypes). They mistakenly "fall asleep" in bed together at least once, pretend to be dating so Jane can get rid of a guy, have an entire episode dedicated to Jane pretending to be a lesbian to solve a crime (going on dates, and letting a girl kiss her seductively on the neck), then people constantly say things like "oh you two are together-together." Hitting on that over and over again, even though both girls are straight and have boyfriends off and on throughout the show.

This can work in some shows, if done well. Sherlock (BBC's Sherlock) does something similar when people are always mistaking John Watson and Sherlock Holmes as being "together" but they not only live together but Sherlock says in the first episode he isn't into woman. Plus, it's really only the public mistaking their relationship. They never fall asleep in the same bed together by a cute "mistake". Granted, Sherlock is probably more of an asexual person but there's at least that chance that Sherlock would prefer a man over a woman. Which means that John and Sherlock could be a possibility, when Jane and Maura are both strictly straight -- as they always say.

The supporting characters are stereotypes. Detective Frost is a "fresh" young black detective. Detective Korsak is the veteran detective that's old fashion.

Also, to give Jane a "dramatic" back story she has a serial killer nemesis that escapes from jail at least once (I think twice) and kidnaps her at least twice (maybe three times).

You can tell I'm not a huge fan of the show. I'm all for leading, strong, females but I like unique characters that aren't stereotypes. I don't think this is a fresh take on the whole cop drama done-a-million-times-already thing. And even I'm a fan of Angie Harmon. She was one of my favorite ADAs in the original Law & Order but Jane Rizzoli isn't really a compelling character.

Celia Cyanide
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
So, it's like Xena, but with cops!

Ari Meermans
06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm a fan of Tess Gerritsen's books and, when I heard about the show, I was excited. I read about it online and disappointment descended with a kerthunk. I don't usually care about the differences in physical types between the actors portraying characters and the book descriptions of the characters as long as the actor gets the essence of the character. But, in this case, the reversal of the physical types mattered because in the books Jane and Maura are, to a large degree, defined by their types. In the books Jane is small, feisty, and quick-tempered. Part of her personality is the tendency to over-compensate for her lack of physical stature. That, of course, leads to some great scenes where she gets herself in a bind. Maura, on the other hand, is described as a tall, reserved brunette (hair almost black and cut somewhat in a Cleopatra-type style, IIRC) and is known as "The Queen of the Dead", a nickname she hates. I just can't reconcile Harmon and Alexander in their respective roles with the characters in the books. YMMV

JQTrotter
06-16-2012, 12:50 AM
So, it's like Xena, but with cops!

Ha, exactly! That would have been an easier way to explain it :)

NewKidOldKid
06-16-2012, 05:03 AM
I actually like the show. I think it's funny in a cute sort of way. I don't take it seriously like I do shows like Criminal Mind. Rizzoli and Isles is more about the fun interaction and the quirky characters than about the plot.

That said, I would never read the books that inspired the series, because I hate funny police/crime books, so I don't know. I really like Angie Harmon, so maybe that's part of the reason I like the show.

Kitty Pryde
06-16-2012, 05:15 AM
I think the show really play on a lesbian audience, which isn't bad at all, where Maura is the girly-girl and Jane is the butch-girl (aka stereotypes). They mistakenly "fall asleep" in bed together at least once, pretend to be dating so Jane can get rid of a guy, have an entire episode dedicated to Jane pretending to be a lesbian to solve a crime (going on dates, and letting a girl kiss her seductively on the neck), then people constantly say things like "oh you two are together-together." Hitting on that over and over again, even though both girls are straight and have boyfriends off and on throughout the show.

Bingo! And here's the thing: this is the only show on tv with lesbian protagonists. THE ONLY SHOW. Even if they can only hint at it on cable. That's pretty much the only reason I like it--it's the only time I can see two women flirting/fighting/negotiating their relationship on tv or in movies.

They always end up in the same place after one of them has a date--together at a bar. When Maura has to deal with her awful overbearing mother, Rizolli speaks up to defend her (which friends don't do). When Maura is in distress, Rizolli does super intimate stuff like put her hand on the small of her back. Friends don't do that either. And yeah, it's sad that Pretend Lesbians are the only lesbians I can see on tv, but I'll take what I can get.

Beyond that, I think the show is just good silly fun. And Angie Harmon is super duper smokin' hot.

Ari Meermans
06-16-2012, 05:25 AM
If the characters' interaction is fun and quirky, then the show is no more like Tess Gerritsen's books than "Bones" is like Kathy Reichs' Tempe Brennan books. IMO, both book series compare reasonably well with Robert Crais' Joe Pike/Elvis Cole series.

Celia Cyanide
06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Bingo! And here's the thing: this is the only show on tv with lesbian protagonists. THE ONLY SHOW. Even if they can only hint at it on cable.

What happened to The L Word?

JQTrotter
06-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Bingo! And here's the thing: this is the only show on tv with lesbian protagonists. THE ONLY SHOW. Even if they can only hint at it on cable. That's pretty much the only reason I like it--it's the only time I can see two women flirting/fighting/negotiating their relationship on tv or in movies.

Maybe it's the only cable TV show that hints towards it, but there is the L Word like Celia Cyandie said.

They always end up in the same place after one of them has a date--together at a bar. When Maura has to deal with her awful overbearing mother, Rizolli speaks up to defend her (which friends don't do). When Maura is in distress, Rizolli does super intimate stuff like put her hand on the small of her back. Friends don't do that either.

I agree friends usually don't put their hands on the small of their friends back. That is an intimate trait. But I disagree with the "friends don't speak up to defend friends that have overbearing mothers". Sure they do. My best friend in middle school and high school had a completely overbearing mother, and I spent a good amount of my time stand up for her to her mother because she couldn't. Her mother would tell her she wasn't pretty and looked like her brother, I'd tell her she has a killer body and was pretty. We're still friends to this day.

Being able to help friends like that, to me, is the definition of friendship. It's also a good thing for your boyfriend/girlfriend to do, but any good boyfriend/girlfriend is a great friend, too.

Bingo! And here's the thing: this is the only show on tv with lesbian protagonists. THE ONLY SHOW. Even if they can only hint at it on cable.

I wish this part wasn't true. I'd like to see a show, on cable, that could jut come out and be proud of having lesbian or gay protagonists. It's too bad they're too scared to do so :(

Kitty Pryde
06-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Maybe it's the only cable TV show that hints towards it, but there is the L Word like Celia Cyandie said.

The L-Word went off the air three years ago. And yes, I watched every episode. It had all its own flaws, but yeah. The L-Word is so last decade :) Exes and Ohs is long gone. The "Police Women" series on TLC is moderately lezzy, but those gals spend most of their time arresting/reassuring intoxicated hookers, which isn't great interpersonal drama :D