helicopter question

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I did try googling this, but I guess I wasn't asking the question right.

If you turn off the engine of a helicopter, is there some problem with restarting it quickly, within five minutes, say? Or is it as easy to do this as on a gas-engine car?

Thanks.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
The starting sequence will depend on the type of engine - number of engines - model of ship. But there's generally no problem with restarting an engine quickly. What does your story need? When you say 'turned off' - do you mean IN FLIGHT? Or say, after a landing? There is a shut down procedure - again depending on aircraft - that takes a bit of time.

We would need more context to give you a clear answer.

What era? Contemporary, some past era?

What type of helicopter?

Why is the engine OFF?

How quickly do you need it to be up and running again?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Contemporary story, USA. Haven't gotten around to picking a model yet, but I need four seats, so if you have a suggestion, I'll take it. It's privately owned, not police or military, commercial use. No, thank heavens, the engine is not shut down in flight. It's a quick rescue, but when he sets it down, he doesn't know how quick. He powers off As it turns out, it's only five or six minutes to effect the rescue. Had he but known ;) it was going to take that little time, he would have left it on. If the shut down and restart take more time than that, it'll be useful for me to know. They can all sit there and panic about the delay, which is good. (for me the writer, not for them.)

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
A Robinson R44 is one of the most inexpensive and ubiquitous private helicopters out there. It is also about the only modern, still in production, helicopters that uses a reciprocating engine (like in your car). Most all other helicopters use turbine engines.

Shutting off the engine can happen in seconds. Close the throttle and it's done. But, that might cause damage. For turbine engines, there is a mandatory cool-down period for the engine to be run at idle. It's usually two minutes. For the reciprocating engine, there is probably normally a cool down period too, but I'm not familiar with that.

Even if the engine is shut down, the rotors will continue to spin down for another minute or two.

Start up is more prolonged because of the preflight checks and sequences. It can happen really quick if the pilot is good and is taking shortcuts, but that always runs the risk of missing something important.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
So you need for the 'rescue' to take place faster than the pilot had anticipated? This indicates that they are unaware of conditions on the ground? You want the pilot to set the ship down, thinking the 'rescue party' - will be on the ground long enough to warrant shutting down, conserving fuel?

Then - all of a sudden, out of the blue - the people they came to rescue - somehow show up and hop on board, - pursued by 'the bad guys/aliens/monsters'?

"Quick take off before they get here/they find us/ the bomb blows !"

"Oh, crap, I just shut everything down, it will be XX minutes, before we can take off!"

That's what you're looking for?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
The way I have it now, they set down, he flips his switches, the rescue is effected quickly. Rescued people are on board. And yes, the "aliens" demand that he'd better get airborne, toute suite. He starts her right back up (I've watched videos of this on youtube of various helicopters' procedures now, so I have a sense of what he'd be doing. Click, click, check warning lights, push, rrrrrrrrr), and they fly off.

So my original question is, can this be done in five or six minutes? I don't want the engine to stall out or refuse to start because he has tried too soon. He knows his machine. If he knows he has to wait five extra minutes, okay, I can write that in and turn it to my writerly advantage. If he can just go, that's everyone's preference, considering the "aliens" are coming. And mine.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
It's doable in that time frame and it shouldn't cause any issues. Just do the flippy switch things and make it sound plausible.

There could be longer term damage from doing such a thing, and it could cause issues with the engine at some point if it gets too hot during the start phase, but that's really not an issue in an emergency. The equipment will take a lot of abuse over the short term and keep working just fine.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
thanks very very much. It gets wrecked fifteen minutes later (danged "aliens"!) so his boss (if he has one) will never get to yell at him for engine damage.