MFA Application Advice Needed!

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers,

I'm looking into applying for MFA programs this fall, and I am really concerned with the recommendation letter requirement. As a "mature" applicant (I got my B.A. in 2004), I just don't know who to go to for my three rec letters. My creative writing professors from college will probably not remember me (it was not my major), and I haven't been involved in any writing programs post-college -- I've just been working and paying the bills.

What little advice I've found on the topic discourages asking your boss for a letter, and apart from a few writer friends (friends are also not ideal as rec letter writers, for obvious reasons), I'm at a loss.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and if so, how did you handle the rec letter requirement? Most places ask for a minimum (!!!) of three letters. Help!

Deleted member 42

My creative writing professors from college will probably not remember me (it was not my major), and I haven't been involved in any writing programs post-college -- I've just been working and paying the bills.!

Have you got any of your old work you can send them? Write them an email, and enclose the work as a reminder.

I get letters from students I had twenty years ago, looking for a ref, and often, I can remember them from their papers.

Also: we keep notes on students as part of the grade books, and we keep our grade books.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I was maturer than thou ;) when going for my MFA, and I got three recs from writers at a writing workshop. Find small personal ones, local community education courses through parks/rec departments, a six-week summer course at a community college (I'm talking about the US here; translate to meaningful terms for your own nation, if different). Huge weekend-long writing conference where you're one of 100 clamoring for attention won't do. You need a little bit of a time and a low student: teacher ratio. You probably have until Feb 1 or so to get most of this together (again USA dates), so you have time to make those contacts.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Have you got any of your old work you can send them? Write them an email, and enclose the work as a reminder.

I get letters from students I had twenty years ago, looking for a ref, and often, I can remember them from their papers.

Also: we keep notes on students as part of the grade books, and we keep our grade books.

This is good to know -- I wouldn't have thought a professor would remember me from so long ago, but I will give contacting one of my teachers a shot! He wrote me recommendation letters when I was just graduated (though I ended up not entering any programs at the time), maybe he'll remember those, too. ;)

Thank you for the advice!

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I was maturer than thou ;) when going for my MFA, and I got three recs from writers at a writing workshop. Find small personal ones, local community education courses through parks/rec departments, a six-week summer course at a community college (I'm talking about the US here; translate to meaningful terms for your own nation, if different). Huge weekend-long writing conference where you're one of 100 clamoring for attention won't do. You need a little bit of a time and a low student: teacher ratio. You probably have until Feb 1 or so to get most of this together (again USA dates), so you have time to make those contacts.

Yes, most programs I'm looking at have an Oct.-Jan. admissions window (I'm in the States), so hopefully I'll be able to get involved in some workshops in time. Thank you for the good advice. :)

Deleted member 42

This is good to know -- I wouldn't have thought a professor would remember me from so long ago, but I will give contacting one of my teachers a shot! He wrote me recommendation letters when I was just graduated (though I ended up not entering any programs at the time), maybe he'll remember those, too. ;)

Thank you for the advice!

Likely he'll have digital copies of those letters, and can simply refresh them.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Also, it's fine if one of your letters if from a straight-job boss. Make sure s/he talks about "team playing" and "work ethic" and "communication skills" because that all matters.