Bittersweet News + Making the Best of It

Good Apollo

Good morning, Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
This post is directed at every writer who's currently browsing the accomplishments forum and wondering when their break will come. Let me share my short story with you (no, not my fictional one).

I'm 19 years old. I've been writing and re-writing since before I could walk. I finished my first "true" novel after about six months of work in December of 2011, and queried it soon after. Mostly rejections, but one agent was kind enough to request a full MS after a 30 page review, and I submitted the MS in April. A few days ago, I got an e-mail asking if I would be available for a phone conference. I was ecstatic.

Now mind you, everyone told me that it was going to be a call for a contract or some other form of good news. I kept my expectations low and my mind open. Indeed, he called me saying he had regrettable news - two of the agents out of the six within his group said that it had several minor errors that would take professional eyes to catch, and as such, it had to be declined.

However, and this is where you ought to listen most, he did say that the writing was superb, characters were excellent, and he found my writing to be the most mature and developed in MS form that he had seen in years. This blew me away. I was so happy to hear compliments from an established agency. He then went on to say that it was such a small margin of passing up my MS, that when I came to about 80% completion of my current WIP (by summer's end, I told him), that he would like an exclusive MS review and shot to take on the project. I happily agreed.

To wrap it up, he informed me that if he took on my second MS, they could revisit the idea of my first MS for possible editing by their agency's editing services (it was against their policy to charge writers for any services, which I found even better of them).

All in all, what I'm saying is this - do not let negativity drag you down. Pay attention to the good things that you find in your writing journey, and don't pass off small victories as defeat.

As Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

Take note, friends. This quote does not mention killing the very persistent. :)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I am very glad to see a young person such as yourself with so much maturity and determination. I certainly didn't have that at 19. I have just received an offer on my second novel and I'm 50! Like you, I've been writing my whole life but never took it seriously until a few years ago. My first novel took about five years to write (while working full time, going to school, raising a child with my wife, etc.) and another year to find a publisher. So even at my age (I'm a very young 50), it can still happen. Keep it up and good luck!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you want help with the low order stuff such as grammar and punctuation, whitesmoke is an excellent program for that. Grammarly is another. Both of them are much cheaper than paying an editor and you can use them many times over.

And congratulations on the exclusive request. That's very exciting.

Good Apollo

Good morning, Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
If you want help with the low order stuff such as grammar and punctuation, whitesmoke is an excellent program for that. Grammarly is another. Both of them are much cheaper than paying an editor and you can use them many times over.

And congratulations on the exclusive request. That's very exciting.

Thank you! I'll be giving those programs a try. I think most of the errors he mentioned were in consistency of minor plot details - one of the examples he gave was characters smelling gasoline from a diesel engine (the engine's specific type was mentioned a chapter later). But grammar, I'm sure, had its own set of small issues.

Much appreciated!

I am very glad to see a young person such as yourself with so much maturity and determination. I certainly didn't have that at 19. I have just received an offer on my second novel and I'm 50! Like you, I've been writing my whole life but never took it seriously until a few years ago. My first novel took about five years to write (while working full time, going to school, raising a child with my wife, etc.) and another year to find a publisher. So even at my age (I'm a very young 50), it can still happen. Keep it up and good luck!

Congratulations to you! That's awesome to hear. I'm glad things are working out for your book, and hopefully you find the insanity to write another manuscript down the line, too. Hehe.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
You're doing amazingly well if you're 19, have two manuscripts under your belt, and are getting so much interest out of a respectable agency.

Keep at it. You're doing something right.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
That's FANTASTIC Good Apollo!!!!!

:Clap: CONGRATS nonetheless :hooray:

I'll say this is a talented group of youngsters coming up *toot* *toot*!

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Oh congratulations :) That's awesome news!

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
Great to see another young bro getting some literary love! I'm 23, got my first publishing deal at 20! Stick with it, to hell with the haters, and come back and show them all!

Well done, congrats!

fl6b2.gif