Bunheads (ABC Family)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for the new television show, BUNHEADS. It is produced by the same woman who did Gilmore Girls.

The premiere occurred US EST June 11 9-10pm and is about a Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries a guy and moves to his town. :)

So far it seems to have a definite Gilmore Girl vibe...

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I was hoping someone would start a thread!

I enjoyed it. I've missed Gilmore Girls and love the throwbacks. Was that Gypsy in the dress store? It's great to see Emily Bishop dancing too. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

CassiaDean

Brains?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.CassiaDean.wordpress.com
I loved the first episode, it definitely does have the Gilmore Girls vibe, but it's more modern. I hate to say it, but a lot of the Gilmore Girls cast irritated me by the end, so I'm loving seeing a new group with a similar feel and its own storyline. The ending was quite a shocker for me!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first episode the other day. I really liked it. Loved Gilmore Girls. But I almost felt like the main actress comes up a bit short when compared to Lauren Graham.

I'm hoping she grows on me a bit.

I'll be watching the rest of the season.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Sutton Foster (the actress playing the mc) is a Broadway star so I agree - she felt a little stifled in the role...but I think she has really great potential. :)

SaronaNalia

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Gilmore Girls and I like shows that involve dance. It's hard to judge after just one episode, but I have high hopes for this show.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching the episode. It was ok. Loved the part with the dog. But I thought the rest was a bit predictable. Like we knew where it was going to go, but it just took such a long time to get there.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I enjoyed the 1st episode more than the 2nd. I also wish **SPOILER** Hubble hadn't died so quickly. I felt like we hardly knew his character. **SPOILER**

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the spoiler. I normally hate the "coma" route in stories, but in this case, I think it would have worked better.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
"I think I know why Sylvia Plath killed herself - she was trying to hang a curtain rod."

"My grandfather clock has a hole in it - like Michael hid a gun in there when he killed..."
"Wait, someone shot someone?"
"Yeah. In The Godfather."

:roll:

I love the snark in this show!

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm weirdly turned off by the name of this show :/
I get that it has something to do with ballet but still ...
So it's worth watching?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the name, but I've enjoyed what I've seen of the show.

Of course I keep forgetting to set my DVR so I keep missing it since I'm never home Monday nights. Ugh.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy it for what it's worth. To me, it's a mix of Gilmore Girls-esque conversation crossed with ballet.

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
Stiger: Glad I'm not the only one bothered by the title!

I enjoy it for what it's worth. To me, it's a mix of Gilmore Girls-esque conversation crossed with ballet.

Sounds like something I'd love, then. I'll check it out tonight

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I'm enjoying it, and it's impossible NOT to compare to Gilmore Girls. I agree that in this case, a coma would have been WAY better - and I never thought I'd say that about a TV character!

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this show (haven't watched last night's episode yet). I like that while it's fun on the surface, it has a deeper undercurrent and the theme of failure running through with the mother giving up her dancing career to have a child (who is now dead), the main character not making it big as a dancer despite having the talent (and is now probably too old to), and Boo, who desperately wants to be a dancer but does not have the right body (or the talent?) for it.

I'm interested to see where it's going. The dialogue is so similar to Gilmore Girls, almost distractingly so! I guess if you do something well, keep doing the same thing!

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
I.love.Bunheads!!

And I won't lie that it's mostly because of Amy and how she writes but also because of the inclusion of GG characters! It's like heaven!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized that Rico (the restaurant owner, I guess?) is Logan's father from GG!

amblack

Stop, drop, and revolt!
Registered
Reaction score
I watch the show every week, but with this and Pretty Little Liars, I have no idea why or how I get sucked into these shows.

When I was in ballet, we did call ballet nuts "bun heads". Today a lot of girls aren' required to wear buns to dance class, but when I was younger, we most definitely had to.