PDA

View Full Version : how in 1922 to type dried blood?

still alive
06-12-2012, 12:35 AM
You all were so great about helping me with fishing, I'm back. This time to ask about how dried blood was typed.

I used blood typing in my first novel but it was of a live human. For my wip, I need to know how they did it for dried blood. That it could be done, Google told me, but only that the method was discovered in 1907 in Austria, I think.

I'm sure there must be some way of re-liquifying the blood w/o thinning it too much, but how?

I guess I should warn all of you that I'm a fanatic on knowing "how". Also pretty much of a stickler for facts. Even if I don't use them directly, I feel I have to know the answer in order to write about it.

So your answers are truly appreciated.
Renee

still alive
06-12-2012, 01:25 AM
After trying to understand antigens, and antibodies and Lattes ABO, red blood cells and blood serum, I decided to KISS...

And just say they typed the dried blood since it was possible to do.

So unless that's too wrong, thanks anyway.

icerose
06-12-2012, 04:40 AM
These two articles will give you everything you need. Good luck. :)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/forensics/serology/3.html

http://www.nlada.org/forensics/for_lib/Documents/1124741447.71/425lect13.htm

still alive
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Thank you for the articles, icerose! Sure cleared up what I'd read before. And gave me a better understanding that also just added depth to the character who is one of the accused!

He's a med intern and he could decide to try to help clear himself--just as a side "action." Or whatever it's called, to add some density to the plot.

Renee

frimble3
06-12-2012, 11:29 PM
A lot probably depends on where in 1922 your story is set. With no computers, and no instant communications, law enforcement in a small town is less likely to be up on all the latest theories and techniques than a big-city force.
Good move, making your accused character a medical intern, it makes it plausible that he might be keeping up on the latest ideas and have access to medical journals.