Publicity: what to expect?

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with a major publishing house in Canada for my first novel. The advance was small, but the enthusiasm of the publisher and senior editor (who both met with me before making an offer) was high. I've read that first novels (and low advances) are indicative of little publicity. Is that true?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
illiterwrite said:
I just signed with a major publishing house in Canada for my first novel. The advance was small, but the enthusiasm of the publisher and senior editor (who both met with me before making an offer) was high. I've read that first novels (and low advances) are indicative of little publicity. Is that true?

I think it completely depends on the publisher and the book. Ask them what they plan to do to market your book, and/or what their marketing and publicity budget is. That's all I can tell you without knowing the publisher and what they usually do for publicity. Congrats on your contract! Keep us posted.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
congrats on the deal! Who knows, maybe the smaller advance means they are going to devote more money to marketing. Only your publisher can tell you.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm having lunch with my editor tomorrow, so maybe I'll ask. I'm still a little intimidated by the whole thing.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
illiterwrite said:
Thanks! I'm having lunch with my editor tomorrow, so maybe I'll ask. I'm still a little intimidated by the whole thing.

oooo...lunch! write back and tell us what y'all had to eat. And what you found out about the publicity! :D