PDA

View Full Version : I need fishing help

still alive
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi, Fisherpeople (I think that's PC enough! :))

In 1922-23, I have a hobo and I wondered if he could use a piece of Monel wire attached to a bamboo pole with a military medal, a cork bobber, and a hook on the end to fish?

The bamboo would be something temporary--even a small limb would do I suppose, but the wire "line" and the rest would be something he carried in his pocket.

Would it work or would I be laughed out of existence?

Thanks.
Renee http://reneegoudeau.webs.com

Jamesaritchie
06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
With that kind of line and pole, I don't think a military medal would help at all. Just have him dig up a worm, or catch a bug.

still alive
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
James, I was thinking that I could have him use string not wire, and unfortunately I need the medal as a sinker (is that right?) and also as a clue--or a red herring.

As you can see I don't fish! I absolutely need the hook and the medal. Use a worm enough without the sinker? Gotta use the medal--any suggestions, please.

Also he's fishing in LA (without the periods!) rivers and bayous but would have an "all-purpose" fishing line since he's an itinerant farm hand.

heyjude
06-10-2012, 10:09 PM
This looks like a job for Story Research and Experts!

Hang on to your hats while I carry you hence. Thence? Toward...

I'm moving this thread. :)

PorterStarrByrd
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
You might have him using the medal to make his hook and bait heavy enought to cast out into an area where fish are. I (Don't mean casting wth a reel. just sort of a throw or swing.) No need for the cork. A small piece of wood would work just as well. Most people don't carry corks with them, but if he has one from a wine or whiskey bottle he could use it.

I made a similar rig (with a branch) for a know it all idiot friend who showed up at the river for some stream fishing (trout) with no gear at all. I found a discarded weight used for balancing a tire on the ground, stripped some line from my reel for him to use and gave him a hook. It wasn't pretty but he caught small trout.

Your character might as easily find some discarded tangled line on the bank and been inspired to try his luck. Nobody would laugh at him if he caught dinner. Prior to that, a few might, if they knew nothing about fishing.

still alive
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Thank you, Jenn for moving this--not only where it belongs--but where I could find it.

Porter, I really don't need him actually fishing. Just having the stuff to fish with--unlike your friend! ;) Probably a cork in 1922 during Prohibition would've been hard to find! So if I need to, I'll borrow your piece of wood. Thanks

PorterStarrByrd
06-11-2012, 12:13 AM
One more thought ...

In the twenties it would not have been uncommon for a guy to have pocket fishing equipment. It would be two parallel sides (like sticks) from four to six inches long held apart by two or three inch sticks. Around and around that would be wound fishing line with a hook and weight at the end. The line would be unwraped and thrown into the water and when a fish was on the line was 'reeled' in by rewrapping it onto the stick assembly end over end.

The common name I knew mine by, in the fifties and sixties, was 'hand line'. You might find a picture on Google images, but I haven't looked.

still alive
06-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Great, Porter, thank you! May I use it? I has both the medal/sinker and hook that I need!

PS. I checked Google and sure enough there was a pic! Good thing, because I thought the string wound around the two longer pieces! And it looked like twine for the string.

PorterStarrByrd
06-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Go for it ...

GeorgeJames
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Back in 1920/23 lines were mostly made of cord, the trace only made of cat gut (looks somewhat like clear nylon lines but only long enough for a trace.) The rig you are talking about is called a "Kellie rig" if I remember correctly. That's a pole with the line tied roughly to the tip of the pole and maybe wrapped a few times around the tip. The idea was when you lifted the pole with a fish on you would land it on the bank/beach in the one movement instead of winding it in. Much like you see with old Tuna Boat fishing. As far as using a medal re weight nothing wrong there. Perhaps you could use the medal like a lure by attaching hook to it. Regarding cork (Float) so long as big enough to counteract weight of medal. As a matter of interest pole rods are in use today and are anything up to 10 yards long concertinaed in sections you pull out with just line from the tip and use of a float then the trace and hook/s. Very popular in Japan.
If your MC is fishing on the bank of a creek then as suggested get him to turn over a tree limb or rock and find a grub/ frog/moth/centipede or the likes for bait. It makes your job easier writing. Most creek fish go for natural foods. So pole, twine, cork, medal/hook/ bait.

Regards
GJ

PorterStarrByrd
06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
By the way

Wether it be metal, monofilimant (which wasn't available for you guy) or cloth, a fisherman always calls it line. It is never string or twine. Your guy probably has cloth line.

GeorgeJames
06-12-2012, 05:29 AM
By the way

Wether it be metal, monofilimant (which wasn't available for you guy) or cloth, a fisherman always calls it line. It is never string or twine. Your guy probably has cloth line.

The mention of twine was a very likely item a Hobo might have in his pocket that he could use as a line. When I was a kid I used to catch small fish in ponds with cotton and a bent pin tied to end and bread for bait. However I would never call a length of cotton a fishing line.

GJ

still alive
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Many thanks, George. Whether or not I use cotton line or twine, I like the bent pin for a hobo. Or maybe a rusty hook--that would give me another thing to create tension.

I'm just kinda floundering (sorry! ;)) around building my wip, and right now every detail helps.

Also I like your website!
Renee

blacbird
06-13-2012, 06:21 AM
So does every fisherman I know.

caw

GeorgeJames
06-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Many thanks, George. Whether or not I use cotton line or twine, I like the bent pin for a hobo. Or maybe a rusty hook--that would give me another thing to create tension.

I'm just kinda floundering (sorry! ;)) around building my wip, and right now every detail helps.

Also I like your website!
Renee

Thanks re Web Site.
I'm a pure amateur when it comes to designing Web Sites. However professionally it costs and right now like a lot of writers I'm watching my pennies. LOL

GJ

AncientEagle
07-03-2012, 02:21 AM
As a youngster, I fished with the kind of home made rigs being discussed here, including the bent pin and bread for bait. I have also fished, and caught small fish, without a cork ("bobber" or "float") at all. Not as much fun as with a cork, or piece of dry wood, or anything that will hold the weight of the hook and weight in the water. But it will work, as you simply let the hook and weight sink to the depth you want it and then hold the pole so the line has no slack. You'll feel it when the fish hits.