PDA

View Full Version : Siegfried Sassoon Quotes on Mametz Wood (help, please)

Fallen
06-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't suppose there is anyone here who has any quotes from Sassoon on his service at Mametz Wood...? I know it's asking a lot, but I have nothing on this poet and can't google him for any quotes on this particular battle.

My MC is working with Christopher Williams' oil on canvas: Charge at Mametz Wood' and is trying to balance duel symbolism (the determination and commitment of the Welsh v futility, massacre and confusion).

I know Sassoon served at the first battle (7th-12th 1916), and that he deals with the likes of Owens when it come to his portrayals. A quote for the second part of the argument (futility, massacre etc) would be ideal. Well, if it's in the public domain.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this (and big reps as usual)

alleycat
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Could you use something from that one about the "rank stench of the bodies" (something like that). I don't think it mentions a particular battle, but a quote from it might still work.

Fallen
06-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Given any other situation, it could, yes, AC.

It's just that my MC is a trainee curator of Art and Paintings, with an exhibition on Welsh War Art of the Somme. I need to show he's done his literature history homework too. So something relating to a poet who had served (edit, and written about) that battle would have more impact from his pov.

:)

alleycat
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Something by Robert Graves? He has one where Mametz Woods is mentioned. I'm not sure whether he was actually there or not.

Fallen
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Ooh, I'll go take a look.

alleycat
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I don't remember the title.

Fallen
06-10-2012, 05:18 PM
It looks like he was detailed to go out and help bury the dead of the Welsh 38th, which would tie in lovely. Just got to go find some quotes.

alleycat
06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I found this.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-dead-boche/

Fallen
06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Letter to S.S. from Mametz Woods RG -- bloody brilliant, AC. :)

Fallen
06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Actually, yours is in ref to Mametz Wood too. He wrote it after he'd walked the field. Brilliant, much better than Letters to S.S.

Fallen
06-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I've just located this link too:

http://www.famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/siegfried_sassoon/poems

Apart from reminding me why I don't read war poems, can I ask if it's safe to assume these poems of Sassoon and Graves are in the public domain now?