What's the weather out there? (Words only)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Without using any numbers (thermometer, barometer, hygrometer, anemometer, udometer, disdrometer, ceilometer or transmissometer readings), describe the weather.

Right now, it is raining. There is the very rare flash of lightning but the rain comes in and out. The rainy clouds are coming from the south, which seems to be a new pattern over the last couple years. The pattern has no name, so we call it a monsoon or the "Nebraska Hurricane."

Watches were issued for Wetaskiwin and Camrose for tornados and the water on the river is rising, raising flood warnings as the Lower Fort Edmonton Trail is shut down.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A tornado was reported by White Buffalo Lake, a couple hours south of Edmonton.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, but not cold. There's barely a breeze, and the sky has a diffuse layer of cloud, making it look white - there are patches of gray in there, but (on the whole) it feels like being inside a bad late-90s FPS where money ran out before everything was added in.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Do I have to go outside for this? Or can I just describe what's out the window as I sit and stare - and call this working?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever stuck your face in a hot oven?

I feel the same when I walk outside.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
the wind blew all night, actually howled. my summer weight pajamas were limp and sweaty even before sunrise. i need to water my garden because today is going to be another windy, hot bastard.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sunny, breezy and cool.

Of course this is Massachusetts, it won't last long

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
As the sun crests the eastern trees, the Arizona sun wraps itself around my head like some smothering animal. It speaks to me, too: this will be a nasty hot day. Beware. My feet are so parched and calloused they itch, despite slathering them with lotion last night. It is daily work to keep the humidifiers in my guitar case filled with distilled water, and now I know why the guitar maker enclosed a letter with the guitar hinting that Arizona's desert might not be the best climate for a guitarist. Yet for the winters here, I will accept the burden of summer, today's burden, today's life-wicking heat.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sunny, windy and very cold!!

Last night the temp dropped to below freezing. We're expecting another icy night tonight.
cold.gif

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The sky looks like the inside of a pearl. The air is silky with moisture. When it begins to rain in earnest, however, it kicks up a smell like sun-baked dust.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The sky looks like the inside of a pearl. The air is silky with moisture. When it begins to rain in earnest, however, it kicks up a smell like sun-baked dust.

The name of that smell is "petrichor." I am not making this up.

Here today the sky is painfully blue and it is hot and very windy.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Fairly Biblical (I'm glad I don't live in Wales today!) and has been all the last week.

This is because British weather always knows when a) it's a bank holiday and b) important sporting events are due to occur.

Even our weather is contrary for the sake of it!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If the weather wasn't contrary, people would talk about it so much...

The completely nutty weather system which seems to exist solely for the purpose of tormenting Britain has given us so many useful words and phrases that it can be seen as a positive. YMMV, of course. :D

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
There's a big thunderstorm just a few minutes from my house, but nothing here. We can hear the thunder and it's gotten storm-dark. We may get to miss this one, but Edina MN is getting hit hard.