PDA

View Full Version : Should an author ask to see contract during The Call?

Joyous
06-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi,
If an agent calls offering representation, is it a good idea to ask to see the actual contract before saying "yes" over the phone? Can a contract be emailed for the author to download, sign and snail mail back?

And if a few other agents are reading, (each knows it's a multiple) should the author let the agent making the first offer know that he/she wants to be courteous and notify the others reading the ms., and then he/she will call the first agent back? It just seems that the right thing to do is to let each person reading the ms have an equal chance to offer representation.

Thank you for your guidance on this.

Siri Kirpal
06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes, any good agent will understand that you have to contact all other agents reading fulls before you can say "Yes."

And I personally wouldn't sign with an agent without seeing their contract. I probably say something like, "Sounds good! Could I please see your contract?"

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Joyous
06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes, any good agent will understand that you have to contact all other agents reading fulls before you can say "Yes."

And I personally wouldn't sign with an agent without seeing their contract. I probably say something like, "Sounds good! Could I please see your contract?"

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thank you Siri Kirpal,:Hug2:
I was thinking the same thing but wondered what others think. I like your way of phrasing it gently, "Sounds good! Could I please see your contract?" That seems polite, professional, friendly and very "common sensical!"
Yours,:TheWave::PartySmil:TheWave::PartySmil
Joyous

Parametric
06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
"Thanks for your offer of representation! I'm really excited. I'd like to take a few days to check in with the other agents reading my work before I make a final decision. Please send me a copy of the contract so I can look it over as well. I'll aim to get back to you by the end of the week. Thanks again!"

:)

thothguard51
06-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Agents are not offended by question like this, but I would make it the last question asked. Remember, there is no legal and binding deal until a contract is signed and returned to the agent...

Agents will snail mail or e-mail you the contract. You sign it and keep one copy for you. You send the other copy back to the agent and he/she will get started. Sometimes there are other conditions that imply, like revised copies, etc.

Joyous
06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
"Thanks for your offer of representation! I'm really excited. I'd like to take a few days to check in with the other agents reading my work before I make a final decision. Please send me a copy of the contract so I can look it over as well. I'll aim to get back to you by the end of the week. Thanks again!"

:)

Parametric, you are brave! :snoopy:I'd be inclined to say

"May I take half a nanno second:hooray: to email the other agents while you email me the contract?"

Wow, "get back to you by the end of the week?" :Jump: I will pray for that kind of sensible self esteem!
Bless you for your reply and best wishes to you.:e2cloud9:
Joyous

Joyous
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Agents are not offended by question like this, but I would make it the last question asked. Remember, there is no legal and binding deal until a contract is signed and returned to the agent...

Agents will snail mail or e-mail you the contract. You sign it and keep one copy for you. You send the other copy back to the agent and he/she will get started. Sometimes there are other conditions that imply, like revised copies, etc.

thothguard51, This is good to know! I feel as if there are so many questions to ask that I will sound naive. Thank you for you help!:TheWave:
Joyous

heyjude
06-09-2012, 10:55 PM
The others have given good advice. My agent emailed the contract for me to look at. I told him that I needed a week to contact other agents who were reading and to talk to a few of his other clients.

Agents expect all that. And it sounds like congratulations are in order!

Old Hack
06-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Parametric is right. And most agents will expect you to want to take a week or ten days to work out where you are. It's not a problem.

BenPanced
06-10-2012, 02:47 AM
If you are feeling pressure that you have to sign RIGHT NOW, you need to reconsider the offer and possibly walk away.

MKrys
06-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Absolutely, ask for a week or so to let the other agents who have your ms know about your offer. And yes, you can ask to see the contract. I did both of these things during The Call and no one was offended. It's normal procedure, methinks :)

Congrats!

Elizabeth Holloway
06-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I just wanted to jump in and say that I agree with everyone else.

During "the call", I told my agent that I was very pleased with her offer of representation (woo!), but that I had the manuscript out with a few other agents. I told her I needed to give the other agents a chance to read my work (which is proper etiquette and is expected. But how can they read it if you don't give them time to do so?) and told her I would get back to her within 10 days (which is not bravery, it's business). I also asked if she could get me in touch with a few of her current clients so I could get an idea of how she works, which she did. In the meantime, she emailed me the contract and I read over it.

Here's the deal. If she loves your work and offers, she'll continue to love your work and will NOT be offended if you are a professional and weigh your options. And if she is offended, do you really want her to represent you in a professional capacity? Remember, you are hiring them. Not the other way around.

And who knows, you may end up with more than one offering agent, which puts you in a very good position, indeed.

Good luck!