PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 [congrats to España!]

mirandashell
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Anybody watching?

Hard to predict this year who will win it.

mirandashell
06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Good game so far between Italy and Spain. Much better than yesterday's pile of dull.

mirandashell
06-11-2012, 12:09 AM
How is that not a penalty? You arse, referee!

waylander
06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I have money on France to beat England

mirandashell
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Don't blame you. I would too if it didn't make me feel like a traitor.

Izhitsa
06-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Don't blame you. I would too if it didn't make me feel like a traitor.

Eh, best of luck to your side for today's match!

waylander
06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Half-time 1-1
Pretty even game without many chances being generated.
Still think France will win though

waylander
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Final result 1-1.
Got to be happy with that. Didn't create many chances though

rugcat
06-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Games so far have been less than stellar. Not a single outstanding game from any team, imo.

Immensely disappointed by the stodgy (and losing) play of the Dutch. England look competent but quite ordinary.

Pretty much a toss up at this stage, though I think Spain has the most talent. But all it will take is for a team to get hot at the right time, and that could be almost anyone.

waylander
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Germany look like they are ticking over nicely. Should have conceded early on to the Dutch, but were impressive once they scored. Likely finalists, I think.

regdog
06-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Italy 1 Croatia 1
77 minutes

mirandashell
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
This is turning into a good game. Especially since Croatia scored.

The first Russian game was a very good one to watch. Some flowing play.

mirandashell
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh dear......

regdog
06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Italy 1 Croatia 1 final

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Lor that Ireland game was depressing. Fed up now. Going to bed.

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 12:54 AM
But well done to the fans for their spirit. They deserve a better team!

Deathby
06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
It has been an okay Euros so far.

Priene
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I couldn't watch Ireland-Spain. Too grisly.

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Tell me about it!

Priene
06-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Tell me about it!

If England get as far as playing Germany I'm going to skip the match and go straight to heavy drinking.

Priene
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
The Swedes have already printed up tomorrow's front page (http://i.imgur.com/OiJAZ.jpg).

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Huge storm over the stadium for the Ukraine game. Forked lightening right over it so they've called it off temporarily. Next inspection at 6pm

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
The Swedes have already printed up tomorrow's front page (http://i.imgur.com/OiJAZ.jpg).

That might be a good thing. The gods of football don't like that kind of braggage!

Izhitsa
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Huge storm over the stadium for the Ukraine game. Forked lightening right over it so they've called it off temporarily. Next inspection at 6pm

And the Ukrainians rue the fact that the officials did give the go-ahead after all.

mirandashell
06-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah, that was a shame. And it means we need to win tonight.

Izhitsa
06-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah, that was a shame. And it means we need to win tonight.
Looks like Theo Walcott has won this one. :D

mirandashell
06-16-2012, 12:55 AM
That might be a good thing. The gods of football don't like that kind of braggage!

Told ya!

rugcat
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Spain is looking very strong. (Of course, their opponent was Ireland -- sorry, but what can I say?)

France is playing well, but I remain unconvinced.

England showed some real spark for the first time in a long time, and some fine play as well. Sweden also played well, i thought. Very entertaining game. With Rooney returning to the England side against Ukraine, I'm expecting them to go through.

Portugal is still a wild card. They can beat anyone on a particular day, but I don't see their staying power.

I refuse to accept Germany winning it all.

Priene
06-16-2012, 06:03 PM

I think I first started accepting that one in 1974. The Germans always have a good chance:

They're a strong nation.
They don't arse around.
And UEFA is in their back pocket.

It's a powerful combination.

Izhitsa
06-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Wel-l-l-l-l... We're out -- with a whimper.

Priene
06-17-2012, 01:45 PM

That was an epic disaster by the Russians. It was like watching England.

mirandashell
06-17-2012, 07:13 PM

What the hell happened? Your lot were brilliant in the first game. It was like watching a completely different team.

Have to admit, I watched the last 15 mins with my mouth open in amazement.

Izhitsa
06-18-2012, 12:14 AM
What the hell happened? Your lot were brilliant in the first game. It was like watching a completely different team.

Have to admit, I watched the last 15 mins with my mouth open in amazement.

The bastids were thinking of the quarter-finals, I suppose.

waylander
06-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Holland are out, looked good for 20 mins then fell apart.
Germany march on.

mirandashell
06-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Always the same with Holland. Can't play as a team no matter who the manager is.

I reckon they will all be getting seperate planes home.

Paul
06-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Spain is looking very strong. (Of course, their opponent was Ireland -- sorry, but what can I say?)

France is playing well, but I remain unconvinced.

England showed some real spark for the first time in a long time, and some fine play as well. Sweden also played well, i thought. Very entertaining game. With Rooney returning to the England side against Ukraine, I'm expecting them to go through.

Portugal is still a wild card. They can beat anyone on a particular day, but I don't see their staying power.

:D

Paul
06-18-2012, 02:37 AM
But well done to the fans for their spirit. They deserve a better team!

or less beer! lol. Yes, great to see that spirit in the face of outrageous fortune. really. outrageous. Still Spain were truly beautiful to watch - despite the damage inflicted.

rugcat
06-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Holland are out, looked good for 20 mins then fell apart.
Germany march on.Holland played pedestrian football for almost the entire three games. One of my favorite teams, but they richly deserved going home.

Portugal looked very strong, but it's hard to say how much of that was due to Holland's abysmal defending. There were times when the Portuguese strikers were speeding toward goal and there wasn't a Dutch defender even in the TV picture.

And if you let Ronaldo stand in front of goal with the ball for five seconds . . well.

Germany marches on, indeed. They had much the better of the game.

But strangely enough, they could easily been eliminated instead of winning the group. If the Danes had won, they would have gone through with Portugal.

And at 1-1, the Danish striker was pulled down in the box -- to me, an obvious penalty. So the Danes should have gone up 2-1, and the defender could have easily been red carded. Then Germany has 10 men and the Danes go into a bunker defense.

I don't know why the ref didn't call it. The defender was behind the striker, in front of the goal with the ball, and the defender grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him down. That was a clear penalty in my book.

Priene
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't know why the ref didn't call it. The defender was behind the striker, in front of the goal with the ball, and the defender grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him down. That was a clear penalty in my book.

As they say in the House of Commons, 'I refer the Member to the answer I gave some time ago':

And UEFA is in their back pocket.

There were three officials around that incident, and none apparently saw what was plain to the the rest of the continent.

mirandashell
06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
I've just been told that if Italy win 3 nil and Croatia win 1 nil, Spain would be out.

Which is a bit mad....

mirandashell
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Anyone know why the Irish are wearing black armbands?

Mr Flibble
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Anniversary of the Loughinisland shootings (the victims were watching a football match at the time if memory serves ETA: They were watching Ireland v Italy....).

mirandashell
06-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks IRU. I couldn't find any mention of why on the tinternet and I missed the first few minutes. Turned over just in time for kick-off

mirandashell
06-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Actually, that's a tad creepy. That it's on the same day, I mean. That was a great game in 94 as well.

mirandashell
06-19-2012, 12:32 AM
I am not liking this referee at all.

Paul
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
my poor head. well that's nuff footie for me

Priene
06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Eng-lund Roo-ney here we go here we go here we go who's the bastard in the black your ground's too big for you...

Just getting in the mood for tonight, like. Anyone noticed Alan Shearer's new 'do makes him look like Jean-Luc Picard?

Paul
06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Eng-lund Roo-ney here we go here we go here we go who's the bastard in the black your ground's too big for you...

Just getting in the mood for tonight, like. Anyone noticed Alan Shearer's new 'do makes him look like Jean-Luc Picard?

more aerodynamic. England could go all the way in this tourney.

Priene
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
more aerodynamic. England could go all the way in this tourney.

All the way through customs tomorrow morning, most likely. Although if they go there in two banks of four they might not have enough forward motion to get through the departures desk.

Mr Flibble
06-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Okay, now I remember why I don't watch footy. More excitement in a game of pass the parcel (which it resembled) than in that half

waylander
06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Ugly, but ultimately effective.
Good result Sweden

mirandashell
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
So now it's Italy.

Have to admit, I'm not enjoying the way we play either. But it is effective. The team are a lot less headless chicken than they have been in the past. And anything is an improvement over the last World Cup.

Still, one game at a time

Saavedra
06-21-2012, 12:10 AM
As you might expect from my avatar, I'm a supporter of Spanish football. They've done well so far, though, to be fair, the Croatian squad really could have pulled off an upset if Casillas hadn't been on-point two or three times.

La furia roja will have to be ready for France. The French looked lifeless against a spirited Swedish side, but that might have been due to having nothing, really, at stake; they will for this next match, though, and I hope Spain doesn't play down to them, let them linger around on a nil-nil scoreline with ten minutes remaining.

waylander
06-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Germany march on. Still looking like the best side in the competition.

mirandashell
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Hmm.... I don't know. Greece were pretty bad.

crunchyblanket
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Germany march on. Still looking like the best side in the competition.

Agreed. They're astonishingly consistent, which is more than you can say for the current world champs.

England v Italy should be interesting, to say the least. And the source of much marital strife in the crunchyblanket household...

mirandashell
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Seems the French have taken on the Italian idea of how to play Spain. I think the Spanish are going to find it harder and harder to play the good teams.

mirandashell
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Oh dear... commentator's curse!

Robbie
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Spain killing France with their usual death by a thousand passes....
Who says u need strikers to win a match?

crunchyblanket
06-24-2012, 12:59 AM
My god, Spain are dull to watch at the moment. And I wouldn't have called that a penalty, personally....

Robbie
06-24-2012, 01:10 AM
crunchyblanket - you look a lot like Gillian Anderson :D

mirandashell
06-24-2012, 01:12 AM
My god, Spain are dull to watch at the moment. And I wouldn't have called that a penalty, personally....

That was tedious, wasn't it? I was expecting a much better game

Robbie
06-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah was poor - France were dire in fairness...lookin forward to watchin Engerland tomo....have a feelin they can do an Italian job....just a sneaky one, mind...

mirandashell
06-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Shh.... the gods of football might be listening.

Robbie
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
ROnaldo is the God of footie in this tournament...he may well beat Spain by his very self :D

Saavedra
06-24-2012, 01:45 AM
ROnaldo is the God of footie in this tournament...he may well beat Spain by his very self :D

I wouldn't go that far. For either statement.

He all but vanished against Germany and lost. Struggled mightily against Denmark -- if not for the last-minute goal by a reserve player Portugal might not even be in the semifinals.

Holland wet the bed this entire tournament, going 0-3 against the group. For the quarterfinals, let us be honest: the Czech Republic were playing with house money just being there. That isn't to take away from the fact he has turned it on the past two matches, but take into account the difference in quality between those squads and Spain, the defending champion.

I have a measure of bias here, of course; I love Spain and I support Barcelona: Ronaldo is the enemy, a selfish prima donna who can score but rarely elects to take the backseat to any of his teammates. When he can't get near the goal he becomes frustrated and lazy.

If Spain clamps down on defense like they're capable of doing and employ the tiki-taka passes, Ronaldo will be useless on the pitch because of those shortcomings of character. If he weren't a vulture by the net he'd be utterly unremarkable as-is.

That said, it should be a close match. I'm excited to watch.

mirandashell
06-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Two ends of the spectrum there......

Robbie
06-24-2012, 02:16 AM
^^Soory but Ronaldo ran riot against Holland, who were World cup finalists don't forget. And scored a savage goal against the Czech as well as hitting the post twice. He's the player of the tournament so far, mate. He has broken goal scoring records left right and centre. He's a machine. You're a Barca fan so you're biased. I'm support neither Barca nor Real so am just being objective.
Spain looked really tired towards the end of tonights match - all those guys have played 60+ games for their clubs this season.
"When he can't get near the goal he gets frustrated" what?? he scored over 60 goals last season in all comps - when does he not get near the goal? Also - he's not a striker....remeber he socred 42 goals for Man U in 2008 playing on the WING - THE WING!

mirandashell
06-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Anyone got any popcorn?

Saavedra
06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
^^Soory but Ronaldo ran riot against Holland, who were World cup finalists don't forget. And scored a savage goal against the Czech as well as hitting the post twice. He's the player of the tournament so far, mate. He has broken goal scoring records left right and centre. He's a machine. You're a Barca fan so you're biased. I'm support neither Barca nor Real so am just being objective.
Spain looked really tired towards the end of tonights match - all those guys have played 60+ games for their clubs this season.
"When he can't get near the goal he gets frustrated" what?? he scored over 60 goals last season in all comps - when does he not get near the goal? Also - he's not a striker....remeber he socred 42 goals for Man U in 2008 playing on the WING - THE WING!

Oh yes, Ronaldo steamrolled Holland. I don't think that was in dispute here . . . but the Oranje were the whipping boys of the group. Do you believe, with clear objectivity, that they played the Euro 2012 with their World Cup-caliber brilliance?

That's my argument for that. Likewise for the Czechs, who, apart from their goalkeeper, are nowhere near Portugal in terms of talent.

As for my comment about him becoming frustrated, perhaps I worded it wrongly. When he's not putting the ball in the net like he expects himself to he gets that way, which is understandable; when he nailed the post twice against the Czech Republic, for instance, or when he's met at the box and has to defer the ball. His body language changes -- he looks near tears at times (and that's not poking fun at him) -- and he sort of trots about on the very wing you mentioned.

So, if having two solid matches qualifies him as man of the Euro, then hey, so be it. I think Ibrahimović had the best showing thus far; he was everywhere for Sweden. Let's not forget Mario Gomez, either, who stands equal with Ronaldo in goals scored for the tournament.

Look, he's a fantastic scorer. I can't deny that; some of his shots are just stunning, like that one back-heel goal in club play. But is Ronaldo a complete player? I don't think he is. When he's on the pitch for Real Madrid he can get away with it because the club is elite; it's deeper than the Portuguese national team. To beat Spain in this tournament he'll have to better play a complete game -- not just to full time, but on every facet: passing, scoring, setting up his teammates for open shots, et cetera.

I'm trying to look past my bias, which I admitted I have, and I don't see anyone but Germany derailing Spain from the repeat. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and we'll see Wednesday.

Either way, it looks like it might be the match of the Euro 2012.

Paul
06-24-2012, 03:40 AM
Spain V Germany final , without a doubt.

Very tough to call, but Spain by a whisker.

waylander
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
France were really poor.
England/Italy too close to call - open for one player to have a great match and win it, and both sides have players well capable of turning it on - Balotelli anyone?
I still expect Spain/Germany to be the final

mirandashell
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Oh lor this is nerve-racking!

We're giving them far too much room in midfield. When we've got the ball, they're all over us. When they've got it, we're backing away. WTF?

But we've survived til half-time.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Right, extra time.

Bloody hell, we've rode our luck. Fingers crossed.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Oh god. Penalties.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I fucking hate penalties.

Izhitsa
06-25-2012, 01:27 AM
And England loses on penalties -- again...

Robbie
06-25-2012, 01:34 AM
England were shite :/

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 01:37 AM
Well, to be fair, it wouldn't have been right if we had put Italy out. They were way better than us.

But even so, penalties are a horrible way to lose a game.

And I will be supporting them against Germany.

And remember, a lot of people thought England wouldn't even get out of their group before the competition started.

Robbie
06-25-2012, 01:44 AM
^nah, you're wrong. Player for player England are better than Italy. England are just shit as a team (as in the sum of their parts) - have been since I can remember. Italians are no great shakes - Germany will hammer them.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Fraid I can't agree with you there, mate. They outplayed us tonight.

Robbie
06-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah i know they did - I'm saying England as a team are shite but I'm also saying that they shouldn't be that bad cos they have world class players. Do u understand me?

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Hmm.. I'm not sure England have that many world class players. Are you saying all of them are world class? Cos I certainly don't agree there. I wouldn't say that out of the 14 to play tonight, more than 6 are world class. And Rooney wasn't match fit so that cuts it down to 5

Robbie
06-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Ah the defence and keeper are all class....most of the team are, apart from Milner and Walcott and Carroll. They are such a frustrating team to watch. Redknapp was the man for the job. Pity they didn't have Lamps either for this tournament :/

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 02:04 AM
I'll agree with you on the frustration!

Have to say, I've been really impressed with Lescott. He's defended like a lion.

waylander
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Thought Carroll did OK

Italy were better by a wide margin, would have been a travesty if we'd gone through. We created maybe 3 chances all match

crunchyblanket
06-25-2012, 02:44 AM
crunchyblanket - you look a lot like Gillian Anderson :D

If only I really did!

The better team won tonight. We fell apart in the second half. Ashley Young was shocking, and I cringed when Carroll was brought on...Welbeck and Rooney work well together, and Carroll's 'bull/china shop' approach just didn't hold water against the Azzuri. I have a feeling Italy will get it handed to them by ze Germans, though. Particularly if their finishing is as bad as it was tonight. Still, at least Mr Crunchy is a happy coniglio.

(As for world class players - let's be totally realistic, Rooney's really all we've got. We've got some players who are top notch on their day but lack consistenct.)

Paul
06-25-2012, 03:23 AM
the Spain / Germany final should be very very exciting. Italy deserved the win, i knew, KNEW Cole would bottle it, he was falling apart in the last 30 mins.

Priene
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Most England players are far from world class. I'll give you Ashley Cole. Gerrard and Terry, though aging. Rooney at club level, but never at international level. A couple of others are promising, but the likes of Young, Milner, Johnson, Wellbeck, and Carroll are journeymen. Well, journeymen-millionaires.

Hodgson did the best with what he had, but last night was England getting exposed for what they are: defensive and unimaginative. Thank God it wasn't the Germans. I haven't lived down the last fiasco against them.

waylander
06-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Thank God it wasn't the Germans. I haven't lived down the last fiasco against them.

Seconded.
Wouldn't have wanted to watch us against Germany on Thursday, would have been humiliating

Priene
06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Seconded.
Wouldn't have wanted to watch us against Germany on Thursday, would have been humiliating

My wife is German. That hoof-boing-boing-whack-back-of-the-net goal in South Africa still haunts my dreams.

aruna
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't watch football -- bored stiff by it -- but I do follow the results.

All I know, living in Germany, is that everyone is saying that Germany hasn't won against Italy since 1995 or something like that.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

ETA: just came on TV: Germany hsa never won against Italy in a European or World Cup.

Guess there could always be a first time.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Most England players are far from world class. I'll give you Ashley Cole. Gerrard and Terry, though aging. Rooney at club level, but never at international level. A couple of others are promising, but the likes of Young, Milner, Johnson, Wellbeck, and Carroll are journeymen. Well, journeymen-millionaires.

I wouldn't give you Ashley Cole. But then, I've never rated him. He gets caught out of position far too often to be a world class defender. Gerrard and Terry, yes.

I'm not sure about Danny Wellbeck. He's young still. He could develop into something really good. Last night, he worked hard and was here, there and everywhere. Which was part of the problem. What he needs is the lessons taught by experience. When to go and when to stay. When to bomb forward and when to come back. He got a bit headless chicken last night. But like I said, he's got time.

Priene
06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
ETA: just came on TV: Germany hsa never won against Italy in a European or World Cup.

That's nothing. Outside Wembley, England have never beaten a major football nation in a tournament. Never never never not ever. You'd think we'd occasionally run into someone having a 'mare, but nope, it's going to be quarter finals, spawn a nil-nil by packing the defence and fluffing penalties every single tournament from now until the sun expands into a red giant.

I wouldn't give you Ashley Cole. But then, I've never rated him. He gets caught out of position far too often to be a world class defender. Gerrard and Terry, yes.

In my defence, I was silently comparing him with Phil Neville...

I'm not sure about Danny Wellbeck. He's young still. He could develop into something really good. Last night, he worked hard and was here, there and everywhere. Which was part of the problem. What he needs is the lessons taught by experience.

I have a theory that players like Welbeck look better than they are because they play alongside talented foreigners at club level. Beam them into the England team and they suddenly look lost. That wee Arsenal winger who never does anything is another one. But Welbeck was better than Rooney last night, who should be dropped forever. Ten year of opportunities and he's never shown he's good enough. Maybe he's actually not.

My favourite moment last night was when Carroll started going after Pirlo and suddenly Italy's midfield looked unsettled. We had an eight man defence and the centre forward was dropping back as holding midfielder. Has anyone ever won a tournament with an 8-1-1 formation? (Maybe Serie A every year from 1970 to 2005)

robeiae
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Hodgson did the best with what he had, but last night was England getting exposed for what they are: defensive and unimaginative. Thank God it wasn't the Germans. I haven't lived down the last fiasco against them.Yep.

Tournament to tournament, England often does far better than it should on paper. This is a good example. There's a book: Soccernomics: Why England Loses, why Germany and Brazil Win, and why the US, Japan, Australia, Turkey-- and Even Iraq-- are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport. (http://books.google.com/books/about/Soccernomics.html?id=hOMMbE8xBt4C) Worth the read, very interesting.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Not sure I could take seriously anyone who calls it 'soccer'.......

robeiae
06-25-2012, 07:12 PM

The author is British. That version is the one for Americans.

Here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-England-Lose-phenomena-explained/dp/0007354088/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1340637117&sr=8-8

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh dear... I forgot the :brit

Really Rob, you should know me by now!

robeiae
06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
When it comes to football, brits have no sense of humor. Everyone knows that.

Priene
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
When it comes to football, brits have no sense of humor. Everyone knows that.

You obviously never read the football chants thread we had going a few months ago.

robeiae
06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
No, I read it.

:D

Paul
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Hodgson did the best with what he had, but last night was England getting exposed for what they are: defensive and unimaginative. Thank God it wasn't the Germans. I haven't lived down the last fiasco against them.

Seconded.
Had to laugh at Lineker's comment at the end.' if there's anything good to take from this - at least we weren't beaten by the Germans'

ah, the old emotions....are best. lol.

Priene
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Think I'm fed up with football now. Let's talk about Wimbledon. I reckon that Andy Murray's a dead cert this year.

mirandashell
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Think I'm fed up with football now. Let's talk about Wimbledon. I reckon that Andy Murray's a dead cert this year.

Now that is funny!

colealpaugh
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Ha, have played/coached for 42 years ... no choice but to call it that here :) My own father still doesn't trust me since quitting the "football" team to play "soccer" when I was but a tyke. His tough luck. At least Mom took me to watch Pele and Beckenbauer. And has loved me without many conditions.

12 hrs. 40 min. to a match for the memories!

Priene
06-27-2012, 01:02 PM
At least Mom took me to watch Pele and Beckenbauer.

That's nothing. I used to watch 'Disco' Dale Gordon and Greg Downs at the height of their, erm, powers.

mirandashell
06-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Trevor Francis and Kenny Burns from my local team. Never went to an England game. Not until I was in my late thirties. Saw the last Brasil v England game at the old Wembly

Priene
06-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Trevor Francis and Kenny Burns from my local team. Never went to an England game. Not until I was in my late thirties. Saw the last Brasil v England game at the old Wembly

Jumpers for goalposts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs), isn't it, mmmm?

mirandashell
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
LOL!

Saavedra
06-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Regular time between Spain and Portugal was awful. There goes my prediction that it'd be match of the whole Euro 2012 tournament. But when extra time came, the Spaniards turned it on and looked spry.

Cesc Fàbregas, you beautiful man, thank you.

Also: who on the Portuguese side decided Ronaldo would take the fifth penalty kick? Terrible strategy.

Kewii
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Also: who on the Portuguese side decided Ronaldo would take the fifth penalty kick? Terrible strategy.

Agreed with that.

Bit of an upset yesterday. I really thought Germany would easily outplay Italy.

I'm cheering for Spain in the finals.

Priene
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
I find Spain impressive but horribly boring. Italy have been the stars of this tournament.

mirandashell
06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm cheering for Italy.

And seeing as everytime they have a financial scandal in Serie A, the national team win a competition.... I wouldn't bet against them!

Saavedra
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I find Spain impressive but horribly boring. Italy have been the stars of this tournament.

There are many people who think Spain's boring on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong: I see why you'd think so. Tiki-taka. Dominance of time of possession. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all that good stuff -- they play a beautiful game, in my opinion. What strikes some as boring is that, because of Spain's long streak of international brilliance (as well as club-level brilliance, seeing as the majority of the team plays for either Real Madrid or Barcelona), their opponents have become rather wait-and-see . . . rather reactive, really.

They let Spain control the tempo and hope against hope that someone makes even a slight miscalculation on a pass or in defense that'll provide a flash-in-the-pan spark to score. But Spain's very, very technical, and rarely afford their opponent that opportunity.

If they don't have to do a damn thing and have the advantage more or less handed to them due to the above reason, then why should they press to be more exciting?

When opponents actively attack Spain . . . now that's how to get the men in red moving. They looked tired against Portugal until extra time came around, at which point they really started gunning for Patricio in the net. The pressure was on then.

With a chance to repeat as Euro champion -- and against a confident Italy, who'll go for the throat -- I imagine the pace will be more to your liking.

Priene
06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
If they don't have to do a damn thing and have the advantage more or less handed to them due to the above reason, then why should they press to be more exciting?

Because football is about entertainment, and the greatest sides should be great entertainers. Spain aren't. It's all about domination and winning, and if they have to bore the pants off everyone while the opposition goes chasing shadows in midfield, that's what they do. That's why probably 80% of neutrals are going to want Italy to win. Spain are the better side, but Italy have made football fun again.

Saavedra
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Because football is about entertainment, and the greatest sides should be great entertainers. Spain aren't. It's all about domination and winning, and if they have to bore the pants off everyone while the opposition goes chasing shadows in midfield, that's what they do. That's why probably 80% of neutrals are going to want Italy to win. Spain are the better side, but Italy have made football fun again.

I don't have anything to disagree with here, but bear in mind perspective -- of the fans versus of the athletes.

Priene
06-29-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't have anything to disagree with here, but bear in mind perspective -- of the fans versus of the athletes.

If England had played incredibly dull football -which they did - and got to the final, I'd be...well, pretty happy right now. But they didn't, and I'm glad they didn't, because England's tactics made Spain's look like the Netherlands' c1974.

rugcat
06-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Also: who on the Portuguese side decided Ronaldo would take the fifth penalty kick? Terrible strategy.Perhaps that was Ronaldo. If it came down to the final kick, he wanted to be the one who took it, to revel in the moment as if he, single handedly, (or footedly) won the game for Portugal. That fits in with his character -- preening, petulant, desperate to be recognized as the best player in the world. (Sorry, bud, not while Messi's alive.)

Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player with unbelievable skills. I'd guess he works incessantly to improve his game and fitness, even in off season. But his character leaves something to be desired, to say the least.
Because football is about entertainment, and the greatest sides should be great entertainers. Spain aren't. It's all about domination and winning, and if they have to bore the pants off everyone while the opposition goes chasing shadows in midfield, that's what they do. That's why probably 80% of neutrals are going to want Italy to win. Spain are the better side, but Italy have made football fun again. Having played much of my life, coached, and even reffed a few games (what a horrible experience) I love Spain's game. Don't find it boring at all. Sure, much of the time they're simply passing to the open man -- but have you ever wondered why there always seems to be a man wide open? They are masters.

That said, I think Portugal exposed a weakness. Other teams have laid back, given the Spanish all the time in the world, waiting to intercept the final pass toward goal and institute counter attack.

Portugal pressured them at every opportunity, even high on the pitch. Spain certainly did not look as fluid and confident and sharp as they had in previous games. Of course, you need skilled players to do that, and you need the ability to hold the ball once you get it.

But was Spain having an off day, or was it due to the Portuguese pressure?

I think if Italy takes a lesson from that and applies constant pressure, they have a good chance. If they lay back and absorb pressure, like Italian teams in the past have done so often, I think they'll lose.

Priene
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I love Spain's game. Don't find it boring at all. Sure, much of the time they're simply passing to the open man -- but have you ever wondered why there always seems to be a man wide open? They are masters.

I didn't say I didn't understand Spain's tactics. I do. I didn't say they weren't masters. They are. I said they were tedious, which they are. Last time they played Italy, they picked a 4-6-0 formation.

crunchyblanket
06-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Forza Italia. I'm tired of Spain's style - football is a contact sport, and too much passing back and forth is just plain tedious, IMO.

Paul
07-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Shocked Germany lost to Italy - but then, so were they.

Impossible to call the final. Be good for Italian football in Italy win, and Spain already have two titles, so....

I'll cheer for Italy.

Phew. Glad that's decided.

crunchyblanket
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I went to see Garbage play instead. Mr Crunchy is very glad he came along instead of watching the final.

Priene
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Italy got mullered. Didn't help that their players kept limping off, though.

BrumBall
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM

You may recognise my signature :D

mirandashell
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Keep right on to the end of the road........

mirandashell
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Italy got mullered. Didn't help that their players kept limping off, though.

I was thinking at 2-nil down that Italy could still rescue it but once they were down to 10 men, there was no way it was gonna happen.

Bad luck, Italy.

aruna
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I actually watched this game! My landlady invited me to come up to watch it with them, with wine and cheese. We were all supporting Italy -- I, because I was there for a week earlier in the month, and they, because their son-in-law is Italian. So a bit disappointing.

I just loved it at the end when the kids came out to play. I just love seeing dads with young children.

Saavedra
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I spent yesterday with my girlfriend and so had to record the final. I did my best to avoid all social media and such and came into watching it today without a clue to who had won . . . and I must say: I'm a happy guy.

Certainly no one'll complain about Spain's boring tactics for the final.

Bad luck befell Italy, unfortunately. You have to admire their grit, though, for chasing down the ball half an hour into fielding just ten men. I just wish Balotelli acted maturely. At full time he stormed off, shouldering people on his way to the locker room. I understand his frustration, but I'm not sure he shook hands with Spain at all.

Así es la vida.

Wonderful tournament throughout. Glad to watch the champions repeat and make history.

rugcat
07-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Certainly no one'll complain about Spain's boring tactics for the final.No, they won't. Italy had some play, but honestly, the Spanish combination play was brilliant, direct, and always with purpose. Two very fine goals in the first half.

It really is a shame that Italy had to finish with ten men -- made the last half hour or so anticlimactic, to be sure.

But there can be no doubt that the best team won -- which in football, is not always the case. But that's one of the things that makes games so interesting.

Priene
07-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Great news! England are the fourth best team (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18703497) in the world. We're better than France, we're better than Holland, we're better than Portugal and, yes, we're better than Italy. And we're better than Scotland.

Only one of the above statements is actually true, but this is FIFA we're talking about.

mirandashell
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
WTF?

Priene
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
WTF?

We're better than WTF as well, but only when Rooney is suspended.

BrumBall
07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
England are ranked highly because, although they never win anything, they rarely lose games either. They are a consistent 'quarter finals, lose on penalties to a good team' team. A lot of the other teams around us don't have that consistency. Italy, for example, finished bottom of a World Cup group involving New Zealand then got to the final of Euro 2012. Portugal had some bad results in qualifying and France and Holland are notoriously inconsistent. So, if these nations want to get above us, they need to stop losing silly ranking points by losing games they should win more consistently.