PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Funny Objects - Humor SF/F - $0.05 per word

alexshvartsman
06-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Full guidelines are available here:

http://www.alexshvartsman.com/ufo

Highlights:

UFO Publishing is soliciting short story submissions for “Unidentified Funny Objects” — An Anthology of Humorous Science Fiction & Fantasy.

We’re looking for speculative stories with a strong humor element. Think Resnick and Sheckley, Fredric Brown and Douglas Adams. We welcome quality flash fiction and non-traditional narratives. Take chances, try something new, just make sure that your story is funny.

Puns and stories that are little more than vehicles for delivering a punch line at the end aren’t likely to win us over.

LENGTH: 500-4000 words.

PAYMENT: $0.05 per word + contributor copy. Payment will be made upon acceptance. Our preferred method of payment is via PayPal, but you may request a check.

FORMAT: RTF or DOC. Standard Manuscript Format (http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html) or something close to it (We won’t take points off if you prefer Courier to Times New Roman or some such).

SEND TO: E-mail submissions as an attachment to: ufopublishing@gmail.com

Format the subject line as follows: Submission: Story Title by Awesome Author

POLICIES & RESPONSE TIME: No reprints, multiple or simultaneous submissions please. We will respond to all subs within 30 days. If you don’t hear by then please check your spam folder, then query at the same e-mail address with the word QUERY in the title of the e-mail.

SUBMISSION WINDOW: July 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012.

RIGHTS SOUGHT: First Worldwide print and electronic English Language rights. Exclusivity for 6 months from date of release. Non-exclusive rights to keep the anthology in print across different publishing platforms afterward.

punahougirl84
06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi Alex! It was great to meet you at Balticon in the writer's workshop. I appreciated the feedback you gave me. You (along with Jody Lynn Nye) have inspired me to attempt humorous sf. I'll have to work on a story to submit.

"The Dragon Ships of Tycho" was an enjoyable read. Especially the ending.

Good luck with this project!

Lee B-D

alexshvartsman
06-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Alex! It was great to meet you at Balticon in the writer's workshop. I appreciated the feedback you gave me. You (along with Jody Lynn Nye) have inspired me to attempt humorous sf. I'll have to work on a story to submit.

"The Dragon Ships of Tycho" was an enjoyable read. Especially the ending.

Good luck with this project!

Lee B-D

Dear Lee,

Thanks very much, I'm very glad you liked "Dragon Ships" and especially pleased I was able to help in some small way during the workshop! BaltiCon was a blast and I will try very hard to go again next year (balancing day job and family to find the time isn't easy).

If an inspiration strikes, I hope you'll submit your humor story to UFO :)

DB Curtiss
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info Alex. I'll see what I can dig up.

Laurathewriter
06-14-2012, 10:27 PM
This sounds like fun - off to write :)

A priest, a rabbi, and two robots walked into a bar. The third robot ducked.

alexshvartsman
06-15-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm all caught up with SFWA and invited author submissions so far, so those of you who already have your stories ready can go ahead and send them to me now instead of waiting for July 1.

alexshvartsman
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I posted submission statistics from the first 100 stories reviewed at UFO. Might be of interest for those who are considering submitting:

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/06/21/anthology-update-submission-statistics-and-art/

Laurathewriter
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm all caught up with SFWA and invited author submissions so far, so those of you who already have your stories ready can go ahead and send them to me now instead of waiting for July 1.

Great!

alexshvartsman
06-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Check out the awesome cover art created by Dixon Leavitt:

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/06/30/introducing-ufo-cover-art/

J. Tanner
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
POLICIES & RESPONSE TIME: No reprints, multiple or simultaneous submissions please. We will respond to all subs within 30 days. If you don’t hear by then please check your spam folder, then query at the same e-mail address with the word QUERY in the title of the e-mail.

Holy smokes. For me, it was measured in hours rather than days. Fastest response I've ever received. Thanks for the opportunity and the incredibly quick turnaround even though the story wasn't to your tastes.

alexshvartsman
07-01-2012, 12:06 AM
JT: Thanks for submitting! I suspect the failing in being able to appreciate the story was mine, as it went over my head.

I've been able to respond to most submissions in under 12 hours. Not sure what the volume will be starting tomorrow, when the anthology *officially* opens to subs, but I hope to maintain as quick a pace as I can.

Manuel Royal
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Alex, I'll definitely be sending you something. Hope it doesn't suck.

Laurathewriter
07-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Holy smokes. For me, it was measured in hours rather than days. Fastest response I've ever received. Thanks for the opportunity and the incredibly quick turnaround even though the story wasn't to your tastes.

Yeah, my little spaceman Carl crash landed within a few hours of submission. Best not to linger, and thanks to the prompt I've got a short I can tweak for submission elsewhere.

Should be a fun anthology. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

alexshvartsman
07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
J. and Laura: Sorry about the R's. The volume we're getting right now is insane (still keeping up with 24 hour responses, but not sure for how much longer) and the quality overall is really great, too. I have to pass on a lot of really solid stories so I can take the brilliant ones.

I hope you won't be disappointed in the final product. I'm really thrilled with some of the stuff I have so far, and the range of stories is quite wide.

For those who haven't submitted yet, please MAKE YOUR STORIES FUNNY. The most common reason for round 1 rejection is that a story is light and somewhat humorous, but not actually funny.

Laurathewriter
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
J. and Laura: Sorry about the R's. The volume we're getting right now is insane (still keeping up with 24 hour responses, but not sure for how much longer) and the quality overall is really great, too. I have to pass on a lot of really solid stories so I can take the brilliant ones.

I hope you won't be disappointed in the final product. I'm really thrilled with some of the stuff I have so far, and the range of stories is quite wide.

For those who haven't submitted yet, please MAKE YOUR STORIES FUNNY. The most common reason for round 1 rejection is that a story is light and somewhat humorous, but not actually funny.

No, no regrets - every rejection is a learning experience. And it turns out that humor is much more difficult to write than I ever imagined.

Looking forward to some laugh out loud reads in the anthology :)

J. Tanner
07-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah, no apology necessary. Humor adds an additional subjective element beyond the norm and I knew contemporary fantasy would be a longshot anyway compared to SF. If something misses your funny-bone that's that.

I really enjoyed one of the example stories your guidelines pointed to so I sort of came out ahead even without a sale.

alexshvartsman
07-20-2012, 07:24 AM
For those interested, I posted submission statistics (a regular update) but also some thoughts on the sort of stuff we're getting too much of, and what we aren't seeing enough of in the submission queue:

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/07/19/anthology-submissions-update-the-fourth-hundred/

alexshvartsman
08-03-2012, 02:09 AM
To help launch our Kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776571295/unidentified-funny-objects-anthology-of-humor-sf-a), we posted a FREE complete story by Jake Kerr. Check it out, so you can figure out the level of wacky that flies with this editor :)

http://www.ufopub.com/twitter

alexshvartsman
08-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Just a heads up: We're in the final week of reading submissions. If you have a story you would like to be considered for UFO, please be sure to submit it NO LATER than 11:59pm EST on August 31.

Though I'd prefer sooner. Don't want to get horribly flooded on the very last day.

To date we have reviewed over 800 submissions, bought 18 stories and are holding 21 more in the final round of consideration.