PDA

View Full Version : Time to Part Ways



austin58
01-04-2006, 09:49 PM
It is apparent that I should part ways with my current agent (WGA signatory). The question is should I let the agent go before trying to find a new one or keep this one until I hopefully find a new one. And, if I do keep this one for now, should I make any reference to the fact that I am currently repped when sending queries out to prospective agents?

Andrew Zack
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
My personal policy is that I don't rep anyone who isn't already separated from their prior agent.

blackbird
01-09-2006, 12:13 AM
It might depend on if you signed a contract of exclusivity with that agent. If you did, see if there is a clause that enables you to back out with written notice (most agent contracts have such a clause). If not, you may need to wait until the term of your contract is nearly up. Most agent contracts are for a year. I would say wait until about a month or so until the contract will expire, and begin shopping. By the time you have another interested agent, your contract will be up.


If you aren't under contract, then you're free to leave at any time with written notice.

I have read some other threads in this forum that said it also depends on how much your current agent has actually done on your behalf. The less they've accomplished for you, the more right you have to start shopping elsewhere, regardless of whether the contract has run out or not.

maestrowork
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I think you can "look" while you're still with your current agent, but you definitely should part ways with your agent BEFORE you sign another contract.

aruna
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's a quote from Julian Friedmann's book How to Make Money Scriptwriting. Julian is aprominent script and literary agent in the UK.


How do you fire your agent? Easy. Look at the agreement youhave signed. If there is a 30-day notice period then write a letter giving the agent notice. If you do not have a written agreement, then write to him or her informing them that you are withdrawing from them the right to represent you. You can make this immediate but it wil be better all round if you make it thirty days, allowing the agent to get any answers and offers from submissions already made.
You then have the right to accept or reject such offers....

he goes on for a while, and then:



Should you get a new agent before you fire theold one? You can certainly start talking to new agents before youbreak the news to your existing one.. Ij our experience, agents treat such conversations in confidence.....