What to wear to lunch with publisher

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I've been invited to lunch with my about-to-be publisher, sort of a celebration and to discuss marketing. It's a small publisher, Midwest, but in a sophisticated area of a large city. The setting is an upscale cafe. I have no agent and am getting conflicting advice on how to dress:

1) Professionally, like a job interview: suit, pumps, with lots of black or tan. Maybe scale down to slacks, but very Brooks Brothers to avoid offending anyone.
2) Stylishly, like I am a creative commodity. Maybe still wear a relaxed jacket over a fashionable outfit. I work in fashion so that isn't too hard. Not too wild, but not stuffy either.

In photos and videos online, my publisher is fashionable but ranges from suits to capris. My normal style is fun, casual shirt-dresses or colorful shift-dresses at work, jeans at home. Both are not appropriate for this. I figure the worst thing I can do is overdress. On the other hand, I want to show respect for the publisher by dressing up a bit. And I don't want to offend anyone or "miss" on her sense of fashion.

I'm probably crazy for asking here, but any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!

Lucie

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
well, congrats, first of all. These are the problems to have, right?

Blazer over conservative (probably black) pants but with some creative splash, like a scarf (if scarfs are at all in) or an interesting big piece of jewelry (if those are in style--I'm an idiot about style, but you sound like you aren't) or a fascinatingly patterned silk blouse. I think that's what I'd go with.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ha! I cannot advise, because my friends and my eldest daughter have been staging a prolonged what-not-to-wear intervention for when I go meet my editor later in the year.

A friend is taking me shopping at J. Crew. I'm so clueless, I thought that was camping clothes. (Apparent LL Bean and J. Crew were taking up the same spot in my brain.)

But have fun! You'll look great, because you care to.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Black. Because that's what writers wear. Black on black with black accessories.

Or, you know - whatever feels comfortable. Can I just say here that in my experience, publishers dress pretty - oh, what's the word, pretty ... damn! It's on the tip of my tongue - pretty...

Nup. I'll have to PM you. If I remember it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A big smile.

You'll be fabulous no matter what you wear. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've always work whatever I would wear if I'm going to a halfway decent restaurant, which, for me, means roughly the same thing I wear when going to McDonald's. As long as they let me in the place, I figure I'm dressed just fine.

The last thing I want is an agent or editor who judges me on what I'm wearing. If I'm in a state where it's allowed, I always carry a firearm. Which means not in New York, but means yes here, and in most other states.

Anyway, generally speaking, if an agent or editor doesn't like blue jeans, boots, and a flannel or western cut shirt, they ain't gonna like the way I'm dressed.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Can't speak to the midwest, but most NYC publishing types wear what I'd call "business casual" if they are over 40, "cute and simple" if they are under 40. Quirky is cool, if that's your natural style... but really, neat, simple and comfortable are fine. Clothes that make you feel happy!

Nobody in NYC publishing dresses what I'd call "fancy" or "formal" except at an evening event. And makeup would definitely be daytime subdued.

You'll be sitting most of the time. So personally, I'd probably go either a cute daytime dress, or a plainish solid or tweed slacks or a skirt with a cute top, or a simple top with one cool piece of jewelry.

(I usually wear either a cashmere sweater, or high-quality plain long-sleeved t-shirt with a pearl necklace, and tweed pants and cute flats. OR, a daytime dress and a cardigan and flats.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably not the best person to comment since I usually wear jeans to all my meetings in my day job, however, I would suggest something smart but comfortable. Don't go overboard, but don't turn up scruffy either.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good advice y'all. Thank you so much.

I see I need to run conservative, but not preppy/stuffy. James, you crack me up. Obviously, you are not a woman meeting with another woman. Jennifer, rainsmom, shaldna and lorna, thanks, I'll find something ... conservative, casual, with a touch of quirky since that fits the restaurant. And mccardey, I'll wear something black in there. Haven't layered black-on-black since London when my hair was blue (about 1987). I don't think this publisher is much into the Cure :)

Thanks for the good wishes, heyjude, perks and everyone. This IS a good problem to have. Still I'm nervous, of course. I suppose anything will look better if I don't drool sauce over myself. Hope to make a real announcement very soon.

You guys are better than tiramisu!

Lucie

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, wait just a minute here. You just said something terrifying. I'm supposed to pay attention to what I wear when I meet with other women? Because why the heck didn't anyone tell me that!?

*runs off to evaluate entire fashion sense*

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I was terrified at being thought better than tirarmisu! too much to live up to!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Now that you've gotten sensible advice, I say rent a Wonder Woman costume. Okay, just wear a bikini. No no no, wear your clothes in-side out, OR put your underwear on the outside of your clothes. Maybe dress like a giant inkwell-and-pen.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
HA! I think maybe Underdog would be most appropriate. The TV dog, not the movie one. Good thing I didn't eat the tiramisu, I wouldn't have FIT into my Underdog costume. Kaitie, do you think she'll notice if my cape is 2 inches too long?

Gotta love you all,

Lucie
glad that I got my nerves out of the way today

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I would just prefer to wear comfortable clothing- nice and casual but NOT my grubs I wear around the house or hiking or something.

I think you should dress however you feel most comfortable in the situation.

Congratulations, by the way! :)

Last edited:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Second the congratulations!

And I can speak for small indie publishing houses in the midwest. We wore jeans to work, and when meeting with one of our authors (so fun!) we would maybe step it up to business casual. :)

So don't fret. Dress for the restaurant, err on the side of slightly nice if that makes you feel more comfortable. And remember, your publisher is just as excited about your book as you are, and that's the only part where they'll care what something looks like.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks so much, y'all! The lunch went fabulously, about an hour and 45 minutes of chatting and planning. She arrived in jeans and a nice blouse, JSSchley was right! I ended up wearing a sheath dress...

...and signing the contract with them.

YAY! Plans are for the book to be out before the holidays, launching their new mystery imprint, The SWARM at Buzz Books, USA.

Y'all are wonderful.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
oppps, I is too late. Still, for your next meeting, nothing says confidence like a mini skirt and go-go boots.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, y'all! The lunch went fabulously, about an hour and 45 minutes of chatting and planning. She arrived in jeans and a nice blouse, JSSchley was right! I ended up wearing a sheath dress...

YAY! Plans are for the book to be out before the holidays, launching their new mystery imprint, The SWARM at Buzz Books, USA.

Y'all are wonderful.

:hooray:

So were you comfortable in the sheath dress? Was it the right thing?

If not, I like thoth's suggestion of mini and go go boots. :rolleyes:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic news. Delighted it all went well.

Y'all are wonderful.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
You're gonna be nervous, so you'll likely sweat.

Not if you have this stuff: http://www.boots.com/en/Sure-Women-...rant-Deodorant-Cream-Clean-Fresh-45ml_870336/

Seriously, I sweat like billy-o normally, but this stuff is the shizz! A colleague at work recommended it and I laughed, but honestly, it's amazing.

I don't want to sound like an ad, but, if your nervy like me and prone to sweating, it's brilliant.

Other than that, I second what folks said about taking the restaurant into consideration too - some places are fancier than others.