Editing Oppurtunity

kohung

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have received a chance to help in Editing a couple of books being translated from Chinese. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences in Editing and the ups and downs that naturally will be coming with these projects.
This opportunity will be helping out a sort of Non-Profit out of Mainland China. I have done some of these things before and it can be very taxing, but rewarding.

Thanx in advance
Mike

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
kohung said:
Hello All,
I have received a chance to help in Editing a couple of books being translated from Chinese. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences in Editing and the ups and downs that naturally will be coming with these projects.
This oppurtunity will be helping out a sort of Non-Profit out of Mainland China. I have done some of these things before and it can be very taxing, but rewarding.

Thanx in advance
Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you translating the books, or editing the books already being translated? Are you the copyeditor, the production editor, the managing editor, or the proofreader? Have you ever edited a book before? If you could be more specific about what you want to know it would help us to help you.
Just as an aside, it's probably a good idea to make sure you're spelling words like "opportunity" correctly if you intend to be an editor. I don't mean to sound like a crab, but editors need to have great spelling and punctuation skills.

kohung

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the typo.
So far, I know the job would be proofreading, editing and re-writing works already translated into English. So, I was looking for any thoughts on what the challenges might be in taking on a project like this.
Thanx for replying Nomad.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
kohung said:
Sorry for the typo.
So far, I know the job would be proofreading, editing and re-writing works already translated into English. So, I was looking for any thoughts on what the challenges might be in taking on a project like this.
Thanx for replying Nomad.

I think you should definitely plan to spend twice as much time on the project as anyone tells you it's going to take. Editing and/or rewriting a work intended for a different cultural audience than the one the book was originally written to address will require more than just fixing a few word choices. Good luck!!