Arizona Lawyers are Offically Allowed to Use Pen Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Arizona lawyers get OK to use pen names

PHOENIX - The next murder mystery you read could have been written by an Arizona attorney. But you won't know it.

In a formal legal opinion, the Ethics Committee of the State Bar of Arizona has approved lawyers' using pen names when they are doing things unrelated to the practice of law.

Yeah, I know Arizona's a bit weird, but I never realized this was an issue until today. Better safe that sorry, I guess.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You mean they actually had to get permission to do the same thing everyone else in the country, including the president, is already allowed to do?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
What I got from the article was that there is a written rule against using a name* other than the one under which you are licensed when doing something related to lawyering (such as a woman practicing law under her married name rather than her maiden name if that's the one she's licensed under). A lawyer/author asked the committee to give a formal opinion on the situation of pennames for novels, and they said using fake names for nonlegal activities is fine as long as it's not for an improper purpose.

EAT: *Not specifically using a fake name, but making misleading communication about yourself or your services.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
You mean they weren't already? Weird. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.