Sisters who betrayed their brother

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for somewhere in history, literature, or mythology where a sister betrays a brother. I've done some searching but can't really find anything and nothing in my memory jumps out at me. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Bonus points if the sister's name is somewhat common and not that unique.

Thanks,

Matt

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Hmm, the Greek myths probably have something buried in there, as all the Olympians are siblings and tend to stab each other in the back left and right.

I'll let you know if anything specific jumps to mind.

Are you looking for a story where the brother is a total innocent or one where he might've (at least in part) had it coming to him?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles the sister of the bad guy betrays him. Sorry, can't remember her name. Not sure if this would work for you because the sister's betrayal is considered a good thing. (Well, her awful brother doesn't consider it a good thing.)

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for somewhere in history, literature, or mythology where a sister betrays a brother. I've done some searching but can't really find anything and nothing in my memory jumps out at me. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Bonus points if the sister's name is somewhat common and not that unique.

Thanks,

Matt

In Lillian Hellman's brilliant play, "The Little Foxes," (film version, Bette Davis) the evil main character does her entire family wrong, and I believe at least one is her brother. I'm also trying to remember my Greek plays and myths, and can't think of an example right now. Often in :TheWave::PartySmil:TheWave: ancient Greek plays, the men do each other in or mistreat the ladies. Sorry!

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
It's widely assumed that Cleopatra poisoned her brother, Ptolemy XIV (also her husband). She also had a long history of conflict with her other brother, Ptolemy VIII, who she was also married to for a time.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
These are some great suggestions. In response to Katrina: It doesn't matter too much, but It would be better if the brother was an innocent.

Thinking about it a little more. It doesn't have to actually be a sister who betrays a brother but maybe a innocent brother with a fairly evil sister.

Thanks all.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I find it somewhat fascinating that while this situation is common enough in the real world, in the world of story sisters tend to either be faithful to the end or betray other sisters.

Some stories make Morgan (Morgana, Morgan le Fay) of Arthurian legend good, but in many Morgana is definitely the evil sister out to ruin Arthur.

Ah, Ferris Beuller's sister was out to get him, too.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Agrippina and Livilla, Caligula.

Commodus. Those roman emperors and families are terrific at this sort of thing.