• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Venus transition

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score

retromovie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen it? It was raining overhere, so I was unlucky.
You're joking, I'm in England. Cloud rules. Don't even bother noting when such things will be because of it :(

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I was fortunate to see the transit (well, about an hour's worth of it) through several telescopes at the Oregon Observatory in Sun River, OR. They had white-light filters (mirrors), which produced a yellowish, or expected color view; hydrogen filters, which produced a blue image; and calcium filters, producing a red image. The clouds cleared up about 6:00 PM PDT, so the sun was rather low in the sky, and atmospheric distortion made the images vibrate. Very stunning. In addition to Venus, we could see about ten sunspots.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I saw it! Part of it, at least. I had eclipse glasses. You can actually see it without magnification. Really neat! Crazy to think this won't happen again while we're all alive. Unless they come up with some sort of re-life or rejuvenation procedure.

Hmmm...

Thanks for the link, leahzero!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
My nephew is an astro-physicist who teaches at Columbia university, he got it all on video- so cool.