PDA

View Full Version : she's practically bald

tiny
01-04-2006, 08:33 AM
warning - shallow waters ahead...

So the daughter of my boss, who I am rather close to (the daughter, not my boss) is going to cosmotology school. I tried very hard to get her to go to college, but she's one of those unbelievably beautiful girls who think they are stupid.

Anyway, she's been messing with her hair for about six, maybe eight months now. She's got this incredible color (her natural color that is) that she has totally destroyed, along with her long hair. It's so short, and getting shorter because she's dyed it so many times it's breaking off.

I go into work tonight and she asks me if she can do my hair sometime. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm kinda attached to my hair (not at all like my fingernails). Think she'll buy my regular guy would be hurt if I went to someone else?

-chris

mkcbunny
01-04-2006, 09:14 AM
I would try it. If your regular guy is someone you've been going to for a while, and especially if he's pricey, just tell her that he'd be very hurt, and that you don't want him to lose business. Maybe even lie that he's suffering in the economy because people can't afford stylists. Hey, when I got laid off, I stopped going. It was just too much money.

My husband once went to a dental school for a tooth extraction when he was in college, because he had no insurance. I won't describe how bad it was, but I'm no fan of student work when it comes to the human body.

ETA: If she ruins your hair, though, your boss will owe you. :)

poetinahat
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Any chance of slipping the truth in there, nicely, somewhere? Every time I try a tactful excuse, there's a counter-reason, and I have to come up with another one. Eventually I have to come clean.

Or, there's just the "No, thanks, but it's kind of you to offer" -- with no reason offered.

tiny
01-04-2006, 10:03 AM
What's really terrible is I laughed. So, I guess the damage is done. Maybe it's that I feel guitly now. I'm just wondering how guilty. Guilty enough to walk around with some weird beauty school haircut?

poetinahat
01-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Hmmm. How do you look in hats?

tiny
01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Hmmm. How do you look in hats?

I wear'em, beanies and ball caps, but with my hair hanging out, all cascady. Interesting note, I was telling the kids I teach karate to that I was thinking of shaving my head so my tattoo would show (no, I don't have a tattoo on my head).

Maybe I should just view this as a reason to get one.

poetinahat
01-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Hair's a long time growing back. Can you even just say, "I like my hair the way it is"... (on my head)?

If she does screw it up, is she likely to think she's done a great job, or will she keep wanting to do "just a little more" to fix it up?

Yikes.

You'll show us the results, won't you?

tiny
01-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I know, this is six years in the making (I had really short hair, remember my website picture) and down to the middle of my back. I think she figures that since I have so much that she couldn't possible screw up enough and have it make a difference.

I have visions of finding out the exact horrifing shape of my head...

poetinahat
01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Careful -- misery loves company, and maybe she just needs someone else to suffer with....

mkcbunny
01-04-2006, 10:51 AM
You could tell her it took you six years to grow your hair out, and you're nervous about making it any shorter.

samgail
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
tt, put down the guilt and step away from the beauty school student....

Carole
01-04-2006, 03:36 PM
My niece cut my hair once. Once. She also colored my hair once. Once. It was past my waist...almost as long as it is now. The first cut she made was in the middle of the back, above my shoulders. There was no turning back so I wore a bob until it grew back out which has taken 4 years.

When she colored it, I looked like a skunk. (With a bad dye job) My natural color is pretty dark. Almost brown, but I look like death with it. I bleach it, obviously. After the cut, I went a while without it being colored before she did it. (please note that she WAS in beauty school) Somehow I ended up with huge chunks of dark brown and nearly white all over my head. I couldn't even put it into a ponytail to hide it.

I say, it's your hair. Be straight up. You don't wanna be bald.

JennaGlatzer
01-04-2006, 04:14 PM

:e2point: Yep.

SC Harrison
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Tell her you'd prefer to wait until she finishes her chemotherapy treatments, as you don't want to tire her out.

tiny
01-04-2006, 07:16 PM

I love that, can I use it? :ROFL:

Tell her you'd prefer to wait until she finishes her chemotherapy treatments, as you don't want to tire her out.

:ROFL: That's so mean, and something they might expect me to say. Could work.

But it's only hair right. I should be less shallow.

kathompson
01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
It doesn't matter what her hair looks like--how's the hair of the people she's worked on? She may be willing to experiment with her own hair but extremely careful with other people's hair.

And hair grows back.
(Usually.)
I'd let a friend do mine...but then I am of the "Oh, it'll grow back" mindset...

PattiTheWicked
01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I let a friend do mine once, and I ended up with the closest thing to a mullet I've ever seen on a heterosexual female. I had to go pay someone else to fix it.

You're the one who's got to look in the mirror every day. If you're not comfortable with her cutting your hair, politely decline. A simple, "That's very nice, but no thank you."

If she insists on a reason -- which you're not obligated to give -- why not just say that you're happy with your present stylist?

blisswriter
01-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Any chance of slipping the truth in there, nicely, somewhere? Every time I try a tactful excuse, there's a counter-reason, and I have to come up with another one. Eventually I have to come clean.

Or, there's just the "No, thanks, but it's kind of you to offer" -- with no reason offered.

:ROFL: Right you are poet! I haven't always taken this advice but I've learned the hard way. Never tell a lie that can be countered with the truth.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave..."

Perks
01-05-2006, 05:33 AM
I let a friend do mine once, and I ended up with the closest thing to a mullet I've ever seen on a heterosexual female. I had to go pay someone else to fix it.

That's hilarious! But I can one-up you. Fifteen-years-old, first date. First date ever. It's a blind date. No one told me not to get a haircut on the day of your first date. And I was crippled by my period. The crazy wench gave me a mullet and sent me out in public for my first ever pairing-off with a member of the opposite sex. My blind date. And I was swooning sick from hormones. I was to meet him at his grandmother's house. And he was an hour late. And his grandmother didn't speak a word of English. When he did finally show up, he was wearing a white tuxedo with a baby-blue ruffle-front shirt. And he started a fist-fight at the dance. But, not with me, so I guess it could have been worse.

But it was the haircut that hurt the most.

poetinahat
01-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Every year, the local cancer organisation raises money by getting people to shave their heads. People sign up donors who pay up for the privilege of seeing it.

A good friend of mine - a woman - signed up something like $10,000 in pledges last hear. She got an additional $25,000 for getting a mullet two days before! (She's an actuary, and she's about to make partner in a big accounting firm, so this meant two days of high-level meetings with the mullet on.)

That's how much hair matters, even if you're not Jennifer Aniston (what's up with that, anyway?).

I'll give you $20 if you'll get a Hare Krishna cut....

tiny
01-05-2006, 05:43 AM

Really, cause the braid is fun.

PattiTheWicked
01-05-2006, 06:07 AM
A good friend of mine - a woman - signed up something like $10,000 in pledges last hear. She got an additional $25,000 for getting a mullet two days before! (She's an actuary, and she's about to make partner in a big accounting firm, so this meant two days of high-level meetings with the mullet on.)

That's totally cool. My hair is my pride and joy, but if I thought I could raise ten grand for cancer research, I'd be Sinead O'Patti in a heartbeat.

SC Harrison
01-05-2006, 06:25 AM

Oh my God! That's it! My next year's Halloween costume, with the yellow robe thing and some pamphlets. Maybe I can talk this chick into going out with me (sweet):

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=921&stc=1

poetinahat
01-05-2006, 06:28 AM
I don't want to spoil it, but she looks kind of like Madonna. (Madonna wishes.)

tiny
01-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't want to spoil it, but she looks kind of like Madonna. (Madonna wishes.)

But she's blue.

poetinahat
01-05-2006, 06:33 AM
But she's blue.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2stooges.gif

tiny
01-05-2006, 06:35 AM
What? She is.

poetinahat
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Almost everything Madonna does is blue now... and it's kind of pathetic.

Carole
01-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Every year, the local cancer organisation raises money by getting people to shave their heads. People sign up donors who pay up for the privilege of seeing it.

My brother has grown and cut his hair twice for the Locks of Love organization.

SC Harrison
01-05-2006, 07:01 AM
But she's blue.

Yeah, I'm thinking malnutrition. I'll hook her up with a big, juicy steak...oh yeah, that's right. They don't eat cows. Or is it just the white ones they don't eat? Whatever it is, I'm sure we can work things out. I hope the caste thing doesn't come up. Although I'm not an Untouchable, I do fall into the category of the "Rarely Touched", which may cut deeply into any dowry available.

She does look like Madonna, though. If she breaks out those pointy things I'm outta there.

PattiTheWicked
01-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Just don't let her try ruining any of Guy Ritchie's movies.