getting paid from amazon in korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
i've got things rolling on smashwords. payment is nice and easy since it looks like they'll just keep a running total of my earnings on file until i set up a paypal account.

however...

from what i can make out, it looks like amazon will only do an EFT to banks in certain countries (korea isn't one of them) or mail out a paper check. i'd be much more comfortable with an EFT, but i don't know how to go about it.

is there any way to open a u.s. bank account from outside the united states? (i'm an american citizen, if that makes any difference.)

or would i be able to have payments sent to a bank account that isn't in my name (such as my dad's)?

or do i just have to hold off on publishing with amazon until i visit the states over christmas break, and open a bank account?

or is there anything else i'm not thinking of?

thanks.

Justin_AC

Maestro of Mischief
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alwaystypingfaster.blogspot.com
I did a kind of "dummy run" on Amazon to see how this would work, and I'm just having everything thrown into my American Bank account. Do you not have an account back in your home country anymore?

You might see if they'll deposit into a paypal account or something similar.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
This is an issue that's been done to death. Search here or on Kindle forums and you'll find many in the same boat. Here in the UK I have to settle for a check - without a bank account actually in the US you may have to as well.

Amazon and paypal are commercial rivals, which may explain why they don't mix.

Congratulations on taking the big step.

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I did a kind of "dummy run" on Amazon to see how this would work, and I'm just having everything thrown into my American Bank account. Do you not have an account back in your home country anymore?

You might see if they'll deposit into a paypal account or something similar.

if i had a bank account in the states, i wouldn't have an issue.

there's a chance i might have a joint bank account with my dad. i'm going to wait another half hour or so before i call to find out. it's pretty early over there right now.

This is an issue that's been done to death. Search here or on Kindle forums and you'll find many in the same boat. Here in the UK I have to settle for a check - without a bank account actually in the US you may have to as well.

Amazon and paypal are commercial rivals, which may explain why they don't mix.

Congratulations on taking the big step.

thanks rob.

i was not expecting such a quick and definitive answer. i guess if it comes to that, i can just have checks mailed to my parents' house, and i'll go deposit them over the winter holidays.

thank you both for your quick replies.

Deleted member 42

Amazon checks sometimes have a "90 days" statement on them, so I'd wait until you're within the window to have the check arrive, in time for you to cash them, but not be within the 90 window.

Status
Not open for further replies.