PDA

View Full Version : Chicago PD - Main Office Building

jackstr952
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know how many floors (and even the configuration - departments on what floor) for the main office of Chicago PD (3510 South Michigan Avenue)?

Regards,
Jack.

willietheshakes
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Welcome to AW, jackstr952. Might I suggest a quick read of the newbie guides?

Might I also suggest google?

job
06-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Since this is in Chicago proper, you might try Google Maps Street view as well. Get a look at the actual building.

Jamesaritchie
06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I've found the easiest way to research such questions when you can't visit is to first check Google, which works, and when it doesn't, make a phone call or send an e-mail. Every police department has a public information officer. I've found they're always willing and able to answer all my questions.

rainsmom
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
There's a forum called Story Research where you can post these sorts of questions.

dangerousbill
06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know how many floors (and even the configuration - departments on what floor) for the main office of Chicago PD (3510 South Michigan Avenue)?

Regards,
Jack.

Google Earth is your friend. I use it all the time for exactly this purpose. You might find a pic on the web site of the CPD, too.

From where I worked 1998-2004, I watched that building being erected, but I couldn't say offhand how many stories. I'd guess 5 or 6, and there's an EPA air quality station on the roof. The architecture is completely featureless and utilitarian.

It's in the middle of the neighborhood called Bronzeville, the historic (1850's) center of black settlement in Chicago. At the time, the area was marshy and nasty. Blacks weren't allowed to stay in the city proper overnight, so they were sent to Bronzeville to build their homes. Putting the Main Station there was an attempt to make the neighborhood safer for the residents, and it more or less worked. The area has a rich history.

jackstr952
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!