Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I thought this was a very interesting piece. The reality of the current climate can't be ignored. But it can be incorporated into a solution of sorts that is gentler on everyone's blood pressure than anything I've seen.

The whole article is short and definitely worth the read. Do it. And tell me what you think.

So, without quality, price, convenience, or the threat of punishment, how can publishers convince people to do the right thing and buy? Basically, with an appeal to decency: you should buy our goods because it’s the right thing to do.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I am surprised Doctorow does not support those who feel entitled, considering his disdain for the Big Six...

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I don’t know, saying "at least the book industry isn’t as bad as the music industry" isn’t really an inspiring rally call.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I am surprised Doctorow does not support those who feel entitled, considering his disdain for the Big Six...

I've known Cory personally for years. If he disdains the Big Six, I haven't seen any evidence of it. Given that he's published by one of the Big Six (Tor, partnered with Macmillan, owned by von Holtzbrinck) it would be extraordinary were it so. Recall that these were the people who allowed him to release simultaneous free electronic copies of his novels at the same time as the paper printings.

To quote Cory's concluding paragraphs:

My point: publishers have virtue, and this is something that publishers should make a bigger thing of. Even publishers owned by giant corporations deal with their writers on industry-standard terms that really do see to it that the money a customer hands over for a product finds its way into the creator’s bank account. Why not start publicizing the differences between writing and music and film deals. Let the world know that whatever sins your corporate cousins may have committed, they are not your sins.

Publishers, let your readers know that you’re on the side of the angels. In a world where payment must be convinced, not coerced, this is money in the bank.

Deleted member 42

Cory Doctorow doesn't disdain the big six; he has in fact not only published with at least two of them, he worked for an ebook publisher in the 1990s owned by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck.

Status
Not open for further replies.