Article published under someone else's name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artifex

Registered
Reaction score
I had a three-spread academic article published in a national history magazine this month (just a couple of days ago). I've just learned that the article has been published under someone else's name. I am pretty upset about it, as first of all, of course you want your work to be in your name, but also it was an important article thinking about my academic writing.

I am going to contact them tomorrow, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. How did you handle it? Or how would you handle it if it were to happen to you? I am not quite sure yet about exactly how upset I am or how to handle it.

thewritestuff

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's really surprising considering this magazine is supposed to be a "professional" publication. I think you should be okay contacting them, but keep in mind this is a risk all writers face when submitting their work anywhere.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Ouch! :scared:I'm sooo sorry! I had it once happen that an article appeared without a name at all, but not the wrong one.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but that's a tough one. I'm sure they'll put a correction in the next issue if you contact them right away, but it's going to be tough to send out clips for future work. At the very least, maybe you could ask if they could put it as a feature article on their website with the correct name so you can print it out with all the magazine's information for your clips.

I don't have any other ideas for this. I'm sure they'll be very apologetic, but it doesn't fix it. I don't know if there's a way TO fix it once it's on the shelf. :(

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What do you mean it will appear under another name? Why would they do that? I think you would be justified in withdrawing the piece unless you signed a contract agreeing to this.

Artifex

Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean it will appear under another name? Why would they do that? I think you would be justified in withdrawing the piece unless you signed a contract agreeing to this.

The article was supposed to be published under my name, but the new issue has just come out and they've printed someone else's name there. As it's already out, I can't withdraw it.

I think it was an honest mistake. But, this is supposed to be a good, professional magazine, so I would expect them to get the author's name right. I haven't seen the article myself yet, but I will tomorrow, so maybe I'll know more then. Maybe someone else's article is under my name...

I'll contact them tomorrow anyway. They should indeed correct it in the next issue, and I like the idea of publishing the article(s?) on their website with the correct name. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
When you put this page in your portfolio (forgive me, I know little about non-fic portfolios of this type, so could be way off here), cut out the page with the correction and attach it, or link to it (if you're just linking to articles), and explain with a note or a line in the email that a mistake was made when they published it but their correction is right there proving you are the author of the piece.

I am so sorry this happened. :(

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I assume there is an electronic version of the magazine?
Make sure it gets changed there, too.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this was a professional scientific journal, they would have sent page proofs for your approval. So I'm not sure what you mean by academic article in a natural history magazine. Is this a popular rather than scientific magazine? No matter. If they made a mistake, they should print a correction. If it turns out to be your article, you have a right to expect proper author credit. If someone changed your story around and printed it under another name, make sure you have your original so you can consider approriate action.

Last edited:

Artifex

Registered
Reaction score
If this was a professional scientific journal, they would have sent page proofs for you approval. So I'm not sure what you mean by academic article in a natural history magazine. Is this a popular rather than scientific magazine? No matter. If they made a mistake, they should print a correction. If it turns out to be your article, you have a right to expect proper author credit. If someone changed your story around and printed it under another name, make sure you have your original so you can consider approriate action.

The article was a historical article on the topic of my master's thesis. The magazine is not a scientific journal, but one that popularizes history. (Did I say natural history magazine? I meant national history magazine.) It is aimed at professionals in the field, amateurs or anyone interested in history. Most of the authors are professionals historians and such, and the articles tend to be pretty long and in depth.

I haven't seen it myself yet, I will see it tomorrow, so we'll see. Someone read the beginning and at least that was unchanged. I assume it was a mistake, but because of the topic, and because this was my first such article in a specifically historical publication (I've had some articles in general scientific publications), I am a little upset about it. Any other article, I would care a lot less about it. But mistakes do happen unfortunately. Anyway, I hope I can sort this out tomorrow.''

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I read it wrong. But the comments still hold. Good luck with sorting it out, and don't be bashful about asserting your author rights.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a three-spread academic article published in a national history magazine this month (just a couple of days ago). I've just learned that the article has been published under someone else's name. I am pretty upset about it, as first of all, of course you want your work to be in your name, but also it was an important article thinking about my academic writing.

I am going to contact them tomorrow, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. How did you handle it? Or how would you handle it if it were to happen to you? I am not quite sure yet about exactly how upset I am or how to handle it.

In my experience with both academic writing and my second hand knowledge of magaziene and journals, it happens, and it's almost always an honest mistake - someone reads something wrong, or credits the wrong piece to the wrong person etc. My hubby has a friend who has, just this week, been credited incorrectly in all the publicity material for a MASSIVE festival.

What you need to do is to contact the journal and tell them. They will usually print a correction for the print versions and update any online matters. In terms of YOUR use of the article for portfolio etc, so long as you have the article and any correction printed, or, if no correction is printed an email/letter from the publication over the matter, then that should cover it.

Wow, that's really surprising considering this magazine is supposed to be a "professional" publication. I think you should be okay contacting them, but keep in mind this is a risk all writers face when submitting their work anywhere.

'Professional' publications make mistakes all the time. Trust me on this. You'd think it shouldn't be difficult, but you'd be surprised by how often mistakes are made. From my own limited experience, getting a name wrong is nowhere near the worst events.

I agree that in a perfect world it shouldn't happen, but it does, and mostly because you are dealing with dozens, sometimes hundreds of contributors. The STORY or ARTICLE is what they are concerned with, who wrote it is far down on the list. I know that my journal friends talk about 'that Rowland story' or 'the article about Stoker' rather than contributors names. And while the name is attached to the entry, sometimes things get confused.

I'm not making excuses, but it happens.

I think, from what I've read, that it's been a mistake - possibly another contributors name. It's pretty crap, but it happens sometimes. Not often. But sometimes.

It's hard to withdraw a piece once it's in print. However, as I said above, you can contact them for a correction in print, and, if it's an online piece, you can get them to change the info immediately.

I've had similar problems with academic journals which have printed my name incorrectly (one called me Nuala, instead of Claire. But there is another professional in my field who is called Nuala and shares the same surname and with whom I am friendly, so it was an honest mistake by someone who got confused).

When you put this page in your portfolio (forgive me, I know little about non-fic portfolios of this type, so could be way off here), cut out the page with the correction and attach it, or link to it (if you're just linking to articles), and explain with a note or a line in the email that a mistake was made when they published it but their correction is right there proving you are the author of the piece.

I am so sorry this happened. :(

What Stacia said. So long as you have the article and any printed correction, or, if there was no printed correction, an email/letter from the publication addressing the matter, then it shouldn't matter in terms of portfolio.

In terms of disapointment though, it's horrible, and I'm sorry.

If this was a professional scientific journal, they would have sent page proofs for you approval.

I've been published by several big scientific journals and not once have I , as a contributor, ever been sent a proof. Perhaps things are different in other scientific fields (mine is veterinary and agriculture based) but I can honestly say that I never got a proof.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peer reviewed scientific journals that carry ISI Impact Factors (Institute for Scientific Information) do send page proofs to the primary author of the article. This includes biological, physiological, and neuroscience journals, and I believe, ISI rated medical journals.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
The article was a historical article on the topic of my master's thesis.

And the name used wasn't your advisor? Most master's papers that I've seen published are published under the advisor w/secondary credits to the researchers. But that could just be the field that I studied in.

Deleted member 42

And the name used wasn't your advisor? Most master's papers that I've seen published are published under the advisor w/secondary credits to the researchers. But that could just be the field that I studied in.

That's common in the sciences and social sciences; less common in the humanities.

Deleted member 42

I've been published by several big scientific journals and not once have I , as a contributor, ever been sent a proof. Perhaps things are different in other scientific fields (mine is veterinary and agriculture based) but I can honestly say that I never got a proof.

I've not only received advanced proofs I've sent them on behalf of journals in the sciences and humanities published by UCLA.

Perhaps this is a EU/U.S. difference?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Peer reviewed scientific journals that carry ISI Impact Factors (Institute for Scientific Information) do send page proofs to the primary author of the article. This includes biological, physiological, and neuroscience journals, and I believe, ISI rated medical journals.

I've not only received advanced proofs I've sent them on behalf of journals in the sciences and humanities published by UCLA.

Perhaps this is a EU/U.S. difference?

I was just wondering that myself. Or variations between individual journals or subject area?

It could well be the case that other journals here DO send proofs, but I know that I have never had one.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I've been published by several big scientific journals and not once have I , as a contributor, ever been sent a proof.

I have about a hundred entries in my reference list, including veterinary and animal science journals in the US and UK--and I cannot think of a single case, where I was first author, that I did not see proofs and have time to respond to them.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who is interested...in my area of science, first authorship on a multi-authored paper goes to the person who writes the first rough draft of the paper. Papers resulting from dissertations and theses will have the student as the first author and the head-of-lab (professor) usually as the last author. If the work was divided between several people, the first authorship is still determined by first rough draft writer, and the order is determined by the relative contributions of the others. Even if the head-of-lab doesn't do any of the work, he/she still has the right to be included in the author list (usually in the last position) because he/she secured the funding for the research and typically provided the initial direction and continued guidance on the project. Some heads-of-lab will decide to not be included in the author list, telling the student, "it's time for you to give it a go on your own." That was done for me on one of my pubs when I was a grad student, and I've done it for a couple of my students. If the student conceives the experiment and secures his/her own funding, but uses the laboratory facilities of the head-of-lab, the head still has the right to be included on the author list, however, I'd opt out under that set of circumstances and let the student take full credit. In other words, the authorship issue should be totally fair to all involved.

All of this should be agreed upon my appropriate people before the writing of the first draft begins, and the lab policy should be discussed with each student when they join the lab. In a related policy issue - all data collected in the lab is the property of the lab, not of the student who does the data collection. Agreements on the issue of data ownership are necessary when a student separates from the lab due to graduation of other events.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yep, that is always how we did it--although in times gone by the supervisor would often get first position i doubt that happens very much any more. The first author is the corresponder and most wouldn't want to bother with all that.

Artifex

Registered
Reaction score
I have been traveling, so I haven't been around for a while, but I just thought I'd update that it was a mistake and they will print a correction in the next issue (which should actually be out by now).

Status
Not open for further replies.