If a cadet lost a family member?

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
If your family member went MIA while you were enrolled at the United States Air Force Academy, what would happen exactly? How would it affect your academy life? How would you be informed if you didn't know already?

Would you be allowed to go home? Would you be able to resume the program if and when you returned? Would doing so forfeit your admission? Would you be expected to stay and complete your training? Would special accommodations be made for you? Are things decided on a case by case basis?

I'd really appreciate any answers anyone would be able to give, thanks.

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
If you were talking about an immediate family member, accomodations would be made. I'm guessing they could take one or two weeks off without any adverse effect. Beyond that, I think there would be a risk of falling behind. Depending on the situation, the cadet would probably be given the option of being put in the next class. This is something the cadet probably wouldn't want to do, since they would have already done some serious bonding with their classmates.
I was a ROTC cadet, and I know the situation would have to be extreme to go on extended leave. Having a relative MIA sounds extreme (and is), but at the end of the day, what could someone hope to accomplish beyond being there for other family members? If it happened to me, I could see going home for a week or two and then getting back, and I'm talking a sibling or parent. A cousin or something and I might go home for a long weekend and get back.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Anytime there is a death, or MIA, only immediate family would be notified by the Services. Family members would then notify others.

With an MIA case, there is not much a person can do. IF a father is missing, the cadet may take emergency leave to support the mother, but there is very little one can do.

I remember a friend who went to the Naval Academy and he stayed when his father was reported missing. It was exam time and there really was not much he could do. His mother agreed and she had support of other family members and spouses from her husbands unit/base.

I think it really depends on the student, their mental status, and a few other things on how the academy handles the situation. They are not heartless, but they have a lot invested in these men and women.

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
In this case, it's the MC's brother. His parents are still alive and well.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Brochfael -

I had a friend whose father died while he was at West Point. His mother was in poor health and not expected to live long, so the Academy allowed him to go home to be with her until she died, after which they let him return (it ultimately put him two class years later). I do not know the nature of the arrangements he had to make with the Army or the Academy, but it can be done.

That said, the services tend to draw a pretty hard line between death and anything short of death, or at least they did twenty years ago. For a missing brother...the chances aren't good. Honestly, in your situation it would probably depend a lot on how sympathetic the officer reviewing his case was, and how well that officer could sell her recommendation to her superiors.

It's more likely he would be allowed to take up to ten days emergency leave, after which the Air Force would expect him to return; if he chose not to, he would be AWOL.

Does that help?
HN

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The father of someone I know went to jail for having killed his wife. The oldest child was in Air Force Rotc at the time. He was allowed to go home and tend to his siblings, etc., for as long as he needed. Which, I believe, was a term or two. Since he relocated his siblings nearer to him. His officers were very gracious about the whole thing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
These responses have been rather interesting, thanks for them. Things seemed to depend on how severe things are and how much your family needs you to come back.

In my MC's case he has no other siblings and his parents are both alive and well, perfectly capable of looking after each other and search efforts are ongoing. It seems there would be no pressing need for him to go home, so the Academy would probably be reluctant to allow it.