PDA

View Full Version : I made an offer on a horse last night...

Fenika
06-02-2012, 03:55 PM
...and then I failed to get any quality sleep!

I'm excited and nervous and crazy :)

I offered the person, who I've known for awhile, 1/3 of what she was asking last year. She technically agreed to the price but wants to make sure I'm serious; so I am to think about it while she goes on vacation. I've thought about this horse tons, so I'm fine with waiting but keen to have a horse of my own soon, prolly by the end of the month.

The horse is a warmblood/quarterhorse/thoroughbred mutt. He's well put together, with big hindquarters. His biggest confirmation flaw is prolly his long back, but he collects and does lateral work like a dream. I should know, I've done a lot with him on expanding his first 30 days training by a dressage woman.

His personality is as wild as his bloodlines, but I like him for it. It makes him fun to ride and a challenge. He is quick to learn but quick to throw a fit and be done wanting to work. I expect the later to fade as I learn more how to work with him and he finally gets ridden regularly. He's seven or eight and taller than I thought I wanted, but with my long legs, I look good on a big horse.

He's a brat in the stable but not totally and he does settle down with a routine. I've worked with him on being patient in the crossties and he leads well thankfully.

Under saddle I can collect him with ease in all gaits. He's a little bucky going into the canter but that's partly my fault. I havent ridden him in months and I'm a better rider now, so it will be a blast to get on him again should this all go through.

I'm rambling :) This weekend I have to find a local stable to board at, though he'll first be going to my lesson barn which is a bit far away.

So. Excited.

regdog
06-02-2012, 04:23 PM
:partyguy:

heyjude
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Congratulations! He sounds wonderful, full of spirit. You'll have lots of fun together. :)

Fenika
06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Cheers, folks :)

His forelock is white over black so I endearingly call him the skunk head. It fits ;)

heyjude
06-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Aw. :)

My kiddo wants a horse in the worst way, but we're simply not equipped. We don't have the time or energy to do a horse justice. I am getting her riding lessons this summer, though.

Fenika
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
She'll love the riding lessons :)

And the more horses she rides the more she'll know what she likes. Horses are hard to keep long term if you aren't prepared.

heyjude
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I had an aunt once that passed off a guinea pig as a dog for her little ones.

Probably at 9 my kid is too old to try something similar. ::points at dog:: "See? It's a really small horse!"

Fenika
06-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I tried to ride my black lab when I was 5 or 6. It quickly ended in tears when I fell off on the rocks.

Doggies don't tend to make good ponies...

Tepelus
06-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Yay! Congrats! Now we need pictures of this fella.

Fenika
06-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Ask and I shall post :)

You can't see the black parts of the forelock, but its there, under the white. His sire had a similar stripe.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb408/fenika3/e2f2120e.jpg

Fenika
06-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Ps- for the record thats too much damn white on his coat, imo, but oh well.

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Congrats and he is a beauty, you can even see the same markings on the tail as you do the forelock. How many hands? Nice markings on the hoofs too, a little unusual but look cool, like he's wearing expensive sneakers...

Enjoy...

PS, my first summer with my horse, I rode almost 200 pounds off him, so take it easy on the fella...

Fenika
06-03-2012, 03:24 AM
He's 16.1 or 16.2. And yeah, he'll be out of shape but he's a pretty fit horse overall. I have a Centered Riding clinic in mid July I have to get him in shape for. :)

Just as long as the deal goes through of course!

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Good size and it looks like he has a good broad back. Nice for bareback riding when in the mood.

Fenika
06-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Oh yes, he's perfect for bareback riding. Back when I thought saddles were the evil, I rode him many times bareback.

If my saddle (wintec adjustable) doesnt fit him well I'll be riding him bareback again soon ;)

Kricket
06-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Wow he looks awesome! I haz a jealous. :)

Fenika
06-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Don't be too jealous, he ain't mine yet!

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 05:17 AM
You are going to have to get a Black saddle pad. The green just does not work with his coloring...

shakeysix
06-03-2012, 05:35 AM
i'm not a horse person but i have done horse sitting for a friend's horses. yours is a beauty. hope you can get him. it is a huge life change but a rejuvenating one--s6

Fenika
06-03-2012, 05:38 AM
You are going to have to get a Black saddle pad. The green just does not work with his coloring...

Whaaaa? *scrolls up* Crud. You're right. And my saddle pads are all green...

i'm not a horse person but i have done horse sitting for a friend's horses. yours is a beauty. hope you can get him. it is a huge life change but a rejuvenating one--s6

Cheers :)

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Is the horse next to him related to him?

bettielee
06-03-2012, 08:25 AM
he's gorgeous! Best of luck!

*sends up prayers to Ceiling Cat* <-- he looks over horse deals, I'm sure.

He has a very pleasant face. :)

Andelana
06-03-2012, 09:05 AM
He's gorgeous, Fen!

Fenika
06-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Cheers folks. The mare next to him has no relation. She's full warmblood. The owner really likes pintos.

firedrake
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh, he's lovely. A leg at each corner, I love a nice solid horse. He does have a kind face.

Damn, almost makes me wish I had a horse again.

heyjude
06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
He's beautiful!

And I think the green gives a nice splash of color.

Tepelus
06-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Ooh! He is a handsome guy! Very nice.

Fenika
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks again folks :)

Oh, he's lovely. A leg at each corner, I love a nice solid horse. He does have a kind face.

Damn, almost makes me wish I had a horse again.

Are you taking lessons? I highly recommend centered riding lessons. That's what helped me get over saddles are evil- I realized I wasnt balanced.

firedrake
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks again folks :)

Are you taking lessons? I highly recommend centered riding lessons. That's what helped me get over saddles are evil- I realized I wasnt balanced.

I have the ability, I've just lost my bottle. :(

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Lesson's are good for starters, but there is nothing like having your own horse and learning while on the go...so to speak.

I could ride english or western, but I preferred western for many reasons. One of which is that I boarded my horse on a working cattle ranch. Driving cattle from various fields, across highways, streams and such will really teach one to connect with their horse...

You are going to enjoy this summer and fall, and there is nothing wrong with Pinto's, though I loves me a good tall Buckskin...

I had a friend who had a Pinto and to help keep his white-coat white, she used corn starch on him while grooming. I think it was corn starch.

Fenika
06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
My mare had high whites so I used to buy something that was purple or blue and made whites white. She was a red (honey) dun sabino- she's my av. She turned heads, mostly due to her color; otherwise she was regular QH.

I have the ability, I've just lost my bottle. :(

I had to google that phrase. CR folks focus on safety and balance (at least they Should!). A good instructor, regardless of certification, will help you not be a chicken and get your confidence back...

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 06:43 PM
What do you mean when you say he is warm blooded. That's a term I have not heard before...

mccardey
06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh, you are lucky!

Fenika
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Warm bloods are middle weight horses and typically very athletic. Drafts are cold bloods so to speak and tend to be calm and pokey. Arabs and TBs and QHs are hot blooded, lighter boned, and typically very forward.

Skunk head is 50% TB on his dam's side and 40% on his sire's. Dam was also 50% QH. So he is less with the warmblood and more with the TB and mutt. But he is built very much like a WB and moves well.

And if anyone is wondering or didnt follow:
TB is thoroughbred
QH is quarterhorse
WB is warmblood

Fenika
06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I meant to add that there are warmblood breeds like Hanovarians and then there are people crossing drafts to lighter breeds to get a warmblood or sometimes a conformational oddity. Outcrossing should be done carefully.

Crossing warmbloods on thoroughbreds is a typical way to get a sport horse- a catch all for a horse of a general conformation that can perform in Olympic type equestrian sports. A horse doesnt have to be cross bred to be a sport horse.

So technically Skunk Head is not a warmblood mutt, he's a Sporthorse :D

WildScribe
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Beautiful! Congrats on the decision!

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the lesson.

My Buckskin was 50% Morgan and 50% American saddle, or so I was told. From what you list, I guess he was warm blood. I had heard the term hot blooded concerning Ar's and Th's.

Dusty as I called him, had good temperament, was smart, had mediocre speed, but because he was trained in both western and english, his jumps were not the best. You really had to set yourself and him up before he took any jumps.

Dusty could swim well and I could shoot a rifle off his back without him bolting. Very good cutter too and with his weight, he could make cattle do what I wanted him to do. He was more of an endurance breed I always figured. He might not be the fastest horse, but he could go all day...

Fenika
06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Morgans and gaited horses, with their light frames, are 'pure' hot bloods afaik. TBs and arabians are used to improve the blood of many inbred or starting breeds, keeping them refined. There are plenty of light breeds that pull a cart very well.

sheadakota
06-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Oh he's beautiful Fen!! I have QH and one Morgan/Quarter cross but he is 37 so needless to say retired and a much loved lawn ornament. I got my QH mare when she was three and green-broke. She just turned 21 this past may 8th. We bred her with a creamello Stud and kept the palomino colt she produced- he is now 16. Where does the time go?

I so hope you get him- and you look fantastic on him!

Fenika
06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
It's nice watching them grow up and seeing them change and mature. :)

And, uh, I didn't say that was me on him. >>

;)

Fenika
06-04-2012, 01:21 AM
So, cute story-

My mare, and the alpha mare (AM) at this farm did not get along. When my mare, Zoomer came back, AM had her first and only foal- little Skunkhead, still nursing. So now they really didn't get along and it was a one herd turnout kinda place. No one ever got really hurt, though I almost died when Zoomer and AM got into a fight later around the mounting block and my mare, without warning, reared straight up, and I was clinging to her bareback and looking DOWN DOWN DOWN at the AMs saddle. My mare came down, without trapping her foot in AM's saddle's stirrup, and I guess she won the fight cuz everyone was just chilled. Well, this is a long aside from the cute story, but rather than pee myself or collapse in a shocked mush pile on the ground between the horses, I chastized my mare casually and turned her and gave her a kick so she'd walk away.

So, my mare didn't like Alpha Mare, nor Skunk head, even after he was weaned and AM kinda disliked her own now-weaned mama's boy too. When Skunkhead was 1.5 or 2, the barn owner went to bring the horses in and Skunkhead and Zoomer were not at the gate with the others. She quickly found Zoomer by looking over by the other corner of the field, where the open gate led to the lower pasture. She soon found Skunk head trapped in the corner of the lower pasture, which is closer to the barn than the gait, and lines with trees and brush. Once she got Skunkhead, she led him to the connecting gate and Zoomer, and they all went up and everyone went in for their feed.

I guess we should all look after the brats, no matter how crazy they sometimes make us ;)

thothguard51
06-04-2012, 03:36 AM
My sister had a little Appaloosa Welch, Speckles, just under 13 hands. They gilded him kind of late in life and he still thought he was a stud. He was a character around the ranch always running after the mares and even getting in a few fights with the stallions.

When ever I wasn't around, my sister would try to sneak a ride on Dusty. Said he was easier to handle but she was sure Dusty hated her. Whenever he saw her coming, he would go stand in the small pond and wait for her to leave. She said he even led the other horses in chasing her and a friend from the field a few times.

What she did not know is I had a certain whistle I used to call to Dusty and he would come in out of the field because he knew I had cut up apples for him. Most of the time the other horses would follow him, so I had to share apple bits. I never told her what I did, instead I told her it was because he hated english saddles and the other horses were on his side...

He was good horse, broad of back, and I never had to use more than a grazing bit on him. He and I did a few endurance races though we never won anything. Still, it was a lot of fun and good experience...

Those were good times...

Fenika
06-04-2012, 03:42 AM
:)

But :ROFL: at your poor sister!

thothguard51
06-04-2012, 03:54 AM
I am surprised she never figured it out because she was not a novice.

Fenika
06-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Sometimes people dont think through problems...