PDA

View Full Version : Kindle KDP Select versus ePub/Nook/etc.?

WeaselFire
06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a friend who is only publishing on the Kindle KDP Select platform and, frankly, she's doing fine. She uses the platform very well, even getting a bit of the bonus money each month. She doesn't even expand her locations after the 90-day restriction is up. But I wonder if restricting sales to Kindle only has any diminishing effects on sales and income. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Jeff

aibrean
06-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I took mine out of KDP Select because as nice as Prime is, a person can only borrow one book a month (not one at a time, but one period). Once I got it out of KDP Select I put it on Smashwords and it's now distributed across the web. Having it on B&N, Kobo, the Apple store and all that is definitely beneficial in terms of exposure. If you are a well-known author KDP Select would probably work for you. I just don't like their exclusive terms. In addition, it's nice to have it on a venue that allows for you to gift it whenever you want. Kindle doesn't offer coupon codes (that I've seen).

merrihiatt
06-02-2012, 02:07 AM
While sales are lower for me at Smashwords compared to Amazon KDP, I want my titles to be availabe to the most number of people, whichever reading device they use, or if they prefer paperback.

retromovie
06-02-2012, 03:07 AM
There's a groundswell among a number of Kindle authors against Select, to the extent that some say it's killing the whole Kindle business for them, and others say Smashwords is great for scope and useless for sales. Either option seems not at all good to me regarding hard sales.

EngineerTiger
06-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Most of my sales come from Amazon but, as long as even one person wants the books on Nook, Sony, Kobo, Diesel, etc., I see no reason to give Amazon exclusivity. For me it would be the same idea as giving Barnes and Noble or Walmart an exclusive on the paperbacks instead of letting the independent bookstores, Target, and libraries an opportunity to order them as well. Like most of my fellow self-published associates, I need to build as wide a base as is feasible; not cut off potential channels for readers to find my work.

JSSchley
06-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't publish, but I do read, and I own a nook as I work PT for Barnes and Noble.

99% of the time, no matter how excited I was about a book that someone recommended to me, at the end of the exclusive 90 days when I can get it for my nook, I've either lost my enthusiasm for it or don't remember its title at at all.

Lost sale. Maybe you do get more with KDP, I don't know...but for me self-published books are usually impulse buys, and if I can't get them right when I hear about them, I don't buy them at all.

MMcDonald64
06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I have a friend who is only publishing on the Kindle KDP Select platform and, frankly, she's doing fine. She uses the platform very well, even getting a bit of the bonus money each month. She doesn't even expand her locations after the 90-day restriction is up. But I wonder if restricting sales to Kindle only has any diminishing effects on sales and income. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Jeff

Everyone is different. I had my books in all the outlets from a year to 18 months. In the very first month of Select, I made more just from borrows than I had in all that time from the other outlets combined. However, my genre is thriller and that isn't as popular on B&N as say, erotic romance or paranormal erotica. If my books were in that genre, I'd probably think twice about leaving them in Select.

For myself, I felt like I had given my books plenty of time at the other outlets to see how they would do, but if I was a new author, I think it would be wise to at least see how your book does at B&N or Smashwords. You just never know what might take off.

When I do come out of Select, maybe I'll have a different experience. Sad to say I probably won't go through Smashwords again. I had two books there and only 33 sales in that whole time. Sony sometimes surprised me with some sales, and Apple, but it isn't worth the hassle for me.

Nightmelody
06-04-2012, 03:57 AM
I am not a seasoned self published author, but I put an out of contract novella up on Select right before Memorial Day. I did 5 days free, thinking it might boost the sales of my other books there, free advertising. To my surprise after the five free days I made a lot(for me!) of sales. Have already made more since last Wednesday than I did all last year in combined epublisher sales. Still processing...

WeaselFire
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
However, my genre is thriller and that isn't as popular on B&N as say, erotic romance or paranormal erotica. If my books were in that genre, I'd probably think twice about leaving them in Select.

That may be her thinking, although she wasn't conscious of it. She writes romantic mysteries (her genre name, not mine) and has a pretty loyal following now. She has traditionally published but just moved to self-publishing a year or so ago. As far as I know she has never done anything but the KDP Select.

When I do come out of Select, maybe I'll have a different experience. Sad to say I probably won't go through Smashwords again. I had two books there and only 33 sales in that whole time. Sony sometimes surprised me with some sales, and Apple, but it isn't worth the hassle for me.

It seems, to me, that there are basically only two real options - Nook or Kindle. Every Apple user I know runs the Kindle app. Nook is available on tablets and PC's as well.

My eBook experience is low as an author, I have had publishers issue books in electronic format but I've had nothing to do with it other than writing a book and signing a contract. And cashing the checks. :)

But I have fiction books lurking inside, and am seriously considering self-publishing in ebook format for those. Just figuring out all the details of the plan. I've self-published before, with moderate success, so I'm not going into this blindly. If I can help it.

Jeff

WeaselFire
06-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I am not a seasoned self published author, but I put an out of contract novella up on Select right before Memorial Day. I did 5 days free, thinking it might boost the sales of my other books there, free advertising. To my surprise after the five free days I made a lot(for me!) of sales. Have already made more since last Wednesday than I did all last year in combined epublisher sales. Still processing...
That's about what her story is. She had a series of books that were out of print and got her rights back from the publisher when they went defunct. She had them professionally scanned, proofread and formatted, with new covers. Signed up for Select and they were out the next week. She's now added two new books and is still seeing what she calls "decent" sales and she says she's making more money now per book.

Going for her though is that her daughter's a graphic designer and does her formatting and covers and her son-in-law is an editor. She has all kinds of support from her life in traditional publishing and even has an agent willing to work with her if she gets offers for her self-published work. As she tells me. "It took thirty years to learn to write, now I'm an overnight sensation!" :)

Jeff

mshaw2268
06-05-2012, 01:29 AM
I think the shine has worn off of Select, and I can't wait for my last two titles to expire from the contract. Thankfully, one of them drops out of the program tonight.

Judging from my own numbers and the input of some other authors I know, Amazon's last algorithm change all but killed the benefits of the free promotion because the ranking system now works differently.

Also, even before the change, the landscape wasn't what it once was. There are so many free promos going on these days that even free doesn't help you stand out from the crowd, so it's probably best to be available through as many different channels as possible.

nitaworm
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
We do the KDP for 3 months then offer a full release as our official release date for the book. That way we get the books a little free exposure before the print release and the distribution to other devices come out. We 'gift' through amazon just by purchasing the ebook and mailing it to the person receiving it. Don't have to do it many times but usually only for promotional activities.