A Few Questions While Querying

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new to querying -- only 4 sent out so far, and a few questions have come up during the process that I can't seem to find solid answers for. Some I'm just curious about, and some are a bit more important. If anyone would like to throw in their two cents, I'd be grateful.

1) As a generality, do query responses seem to come during the business week rather than weekends and holidays? And with that, is it bad form to send an email query over the weekend or on a holiday?

2) I'm still not sure what to include in the bio portion of the query letter. Some agencies indicate that they want only *relevant* information about the writer, but for someone who isn't published, has no MFA, and whose job experience has no direct bearing on the book, should I just completely skip this? But agencies also indicate they want to know something about the person querying. So? Ex. 1 -- I'm a physician. I suppose that could indicate something about me - I can focus, complete what I start, am detail oriented, have a certain level of professionalism, etc. But is that relevant? Ex. 2 -- I've been part of a high level critique group for a few years which has included both agented and published (with major publishers) writers. Is that relevant?

Thanks so much!

c.e.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new to querying -- only 4 sent out so far, and a few questions have come up during the process that I can't seem to find solid answers for. Some I'm just curious about, and some are a bit more important. If anyone would like to throw in their two cents, I'd be grateful.

1) As a generality, do query responses seem to come during the business week rather than weekends and holidays? And with that, is it bad form to send an email query over the weekend or on a holiday?

Responses come at all different times - agents often read queries after all other tasks, so it's not uncommon for responses to come at odd, "non-business" hours.

And they don't care when you query. As long as they are open to queries, query any time you like.

2) I'm still not sure what to include in the bio portion of the query letter. Some agencies indicate that they want only *relevant* information about the writer, but for someone who isn't published, has no MFA, and whose job experience has no direct bearing on the book, should I just completely skip this? But agencies also indicate they want to know something about the person querying. So? Ex. 1 -- I'm a physician. I suppose that could indicate something about me - I can focus, complete what I start, am detail oriented, have a certain level of professionalism, etc. But is that relevant? Ex. 2 -- I've been part of a high level critique group for a few years which has included both agented and published (with major publishers) writers. Is that relevant?

If they don't require a bio, don't put anything. I didn't on most of mine.

If they require a bio, then keep it very brief. Your pesonal characteristics - ie detail oriented are not at all helpful. ;) If your book has something to do with your medical experience, it could be relevant, but it would be sufficient to say, "In addition to writing, I am a practicing physician." You could also say something like, "While I have not yet been published, I've been a member of an active critique group with published members for more than x years." Neither is likely to be a plus, but it will show you follow guidelines.

Thanks so much!

c.e.

Don't sweat the bio too much. In almost all cases, it will be irrelevant. The key is to keep it brief, and not shoot yourself in the foot with unprofessional or overly personal stuff - ie, your hopes, dreams and aspirations, how great you think your writing is, that your mom/wife/sister/cat loves it, that your belly-button lint collection will be a great marketing tool, etc. Just put in something to follow the guidelines and move on.

And good luck.

~suki

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Suki got it right.

Don't sweat when to send. Any time is fine. And you may be surprised when you get responses.

It's fine to say you're a physician. It's fine to say you're part of a critique group with published authors. If any of those are friend who would be willing to write an endorsement, say so. Other than that, keep it simple.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com

Suki got it right.

Don't sweat when to send. Any time is fine. And you may be surprised when you get responses.

It's fine to say you're a physician. It's fine to say you're part of a critique group with published authors. If any of those are friend who would be willing to write an endorsement, say so. Other than that, keep it simple.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Most of the advice I've read says the opposite -- that unless the author recommending you is one of the agent's current clients, it shouldn't be mentioned. (Not that'll it put you in instant reject pile or anything, but it takes up space you don't need to take up.) I'm almost positive I've seen the QueryShark mention this several times, though I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

The only time I ever saw an agent comment on this (I believe it was Rachelle Gardner), she said she hated to see Qs sent on Easter, Christmas, etc.

Otherwise, I don't think it matters.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Suki - So far, I've just kept the bio stuff blank. Will mention something brief if the guidelines really seem to emphasize it.

Thanks, Siri. Will keep it simple. :)

Thanks, Katrina S Forest - will probably not mention unless I need to play that card sometime in the future.

I totally get that, heyjude. Will respect major holidays but not regular weekends. :)

The above is greatly appreciated!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

Suki got it right.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I disagree with the above. If it does not add to the book, it is not something to add and looks like what it is--either desperation or filler. So, the fact you are a physician does not prove you can write a book, and the fact you hang out in a group with people who have does not either. An agent will see both things as utterly obvious, and it certainly won't crush you to have mentioned them, but it WILL be noticed that either you don't know this is true, or you're hoping they won't...and in either case, for no net gain, you will have still raised some tiny red flag in their minds.

Why? Well, I have a PhD--our degrees could slather themselves in baby-oil and leather up and fight it out in a dusty coliseum, but neither mean that you can write for shit. Hopefully you can, I'm not judging that you cannot. But if you are going to swear up and down that it is a "credit" I'm going to start wondering how strident you are about other things, and if that's going to mean your MD just makes you a pain in the ass. This is why I don't intend to mention my degree, or that I've written several scientific articles and a couple successful grants--they aren't novels. Pretending they are, or give me super powers.....you won't be the first MD to suggest it, and they've probably had a bad run with a few of the others by now.... Again, unless you've written a novel, it doesn't count. UNLESS you have some very intimate tie.....like being a sexual abuse counselor, and writing a "psychological damage of rape" story....something that truly means you're the 1 in a million with that sort of experience.

many, many books are taken by folks with no credits. I strongly believe you're better going in up-front and honest than appearing dishonest or difficult or ignorant, which are the 3 ways you're most likely to be taken for these"credits". Again, none are going to sink you, but if they don't help, why give them that miniscule shadow of doubt at all?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My suggestion was only if the agent's site specifically states that they require bio info. Sorry, if that wasn't clear.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with the above. If it does not add to the book, it is not something to add and looks like what it is--either desperation or filler. So, the fact you are a physician does not prove you can write a book, and the fact you hang out in a group with people who have does not either. An agent will see both things as utterly obvious, and it certainly won't crush you to have mentioned them, but it WILL be noticed that either you don't know this is true, or you're hoping they won't...and in either case, for no net gain, you will have still raised some tiny red flag in their minds.

Why? Well, I have a PhD--our degrees could slather themselves in baby-oil and leather up and fight it out in a dusty coliseum, but neither mean that you can write for shit. Hopefully you can, I'm not judging that you cannot. But if you are going to swear up and down that it is a "credit" I'm going to start wondering how strident you are about other things, and if that's going to mean your MD just makes you a pain in the ass. This is why I don't intend to mention my degree, or that I've written several scientific articles and a couple successful grants--they aren't novels. Pretending they are, or give me super powers.....you won't be the first MD to suggest it, and they've probably had a bad run with a few of the others by now.... Again, unless you've written a novel, it doesn't count. UNLESS you have some very intimate tie.....like being a sexual abuse counselor, and writing a "psychological damage of rape" story....something that truly means you're the 1 in a million with that sort of experience.

many, many books are taken by folks with no credits. I strongly believe you're better going in up-front and honest than appearing dishonest or difficult or ignorant, which are the 3 ways you're most likely to be taken for these"credits". Again, none are going to sink you, but if they don't help, why give them that miniscule shadow of doubt at all?

Hi quicklime,

:flag:

Just kidding. I actually agree with you. That's why my four queries I've sent have nothing at all for bio. But a couple agencies have mentioned on the one hand how the info should be "relevant", and then in the same breath say something like:

...Remember, your query letter is our first introduction to your writing. We like to read entertaining and informative letters that let us know a little about, you, the author. Are you embarking on a writing career or desiring a single publication? How did you find us? Furthermore, check the publishing section of your local library or bookseller for a book on writing query letters (see Recommended Reading), and have others read your letter for clarity as well as any grammar and spelling errors.

Or the agencies that have an on-line form with a section for bio. Leaving that blank would feel stranger than simply skipping a bio in the letter. Still, I didn't feel comfortable mentioning the above in my first batch, so I guess the little voice was telling me something. Thanks.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Great question. This one has been keeping me awake nights. After reading your last post, I've decided that when my time comes, I will say: I am embarking on a writing career.

Short and simple. I have, after all, nothing more to say. :(

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Great question. This one has been keeping me awake nights. After reading your last post, I've decided that when my time comes, I will say: I am embarking on a writing career.

Short and simple. I have, after all, nothing more to say. :(

I wouldn't.

What I write, when I must is:

"I was raised in New England, dropped out of Bard College, and currently live in Indiana, of all places."

It's obvious that if you've written a book and are trying to get an agent that you're either starting or rebooting your career. If you don't have publishing credits, keep it short, yes, but toss in some voice.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Ex. 1 -- I'm a physician. I suppose that could indicate something about me - I can focus, complete what I start, am detail oriented, have a certain level of professionalism, etc. But is that relevant?

Yes, very highly relevant, even if what you've written has absolutely nothing to do with medicine at all. Agents want to know, if possible, that there's evidence the authors they're representing to publishers can focus, complete what they start, are detail oriented and have a certain level of professionalism. Both an agent and a publisher are typically trying to take a "long-term view" about new authors, and are thinking of the future outlook, as well as the first manuscript. My guess if that you asked 100 agents whether or not they considered this "highly relevant", not just 99 of them but all 100 would say "yes".

Ex. 2 -- I've been part of a high level critique group for a few years which has included both agented and published (with major publishers) writers. Is that relevant?

I don't know, but my guess is that it isn't.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, very highly relevant, even if what you've written has absolutely nothing to do with medicine at all. Agents want to know, if possible, that there's evidence the authors they're representing to publishers can focus, complete what they start, are detail oriented and have a certain level of professionalism. Both an agent and a publisher are typically trying to take a "long-term view" about new authors, and are thinking of the future outlook, as well as the first manuscript. My guess if that you asked 100 agents whether or not they considered this "highly relevant", not just 99 of them but all 100 would say "yes".

I really hope I don't sound rude saying this, but I tend to think if the answer is "I don't know," it's best to not give advice.

In the above section pertaining to whether or not to mention that you're in the medical field, what I've always seen from agents is the opposite of what you're suggesting. The recommendation I've heard is always "Only mention if it's directly pertinent." For instance, if you're a doctor and you've written a medical thriller, it shows that you have some insider knowledge.

The biography section is there to find out what sort of relevant experience we have. My thinking here is that if you have to finagle a way to make it relevant (ie, "it shows I have drive"), then it's irrelevant. Relevant means your profession directly relates to the book, or that you have written other published books, or that you have short stories published, or even that you're a journalist or work in the publishing field in some way.

If you don't qualify for any of that, you can either give a single sentence just for the hell of it, or leave it off entirely. I did the latter. There wasn't a single sentence in my query about me. It told the story, it said thanks for reading, and how many pages I was including.

The query has a limited amount of space, and every word of unnecessary information takes away from the necessary. Don't worry if you don't have credits or anything worthwhile to say. Agents don't decide based on your credits. They decide based on the book. :)

Kaitie--who had a highly respectable request rate (and now an agent) from a query that included nothing.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I mention my publishing credits, even those outside the field I'm submitting for. They show that I can work successfully with an editor.

I also mention being active in the online and local writing communities. This shows that I've put my time where my mouth is and that I recognize the need to continue to develop professionally. An editor at Sterling suggested I include this information.

I also note memberships in professional organizations. This shows the above info and that I've added my money to my time. Writing courses in your field may do the same.

However, I do not include a bio if asked not to, though it feels strange. I also leave it out when I'm submitting a short story or poem which will be rejected or accepted without any consideration toward editing - some publications don't edit.

I never submit a query that is longer than one page. I need to show that my writing is clear and concise, not overly wordy.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

except being in the medical field doesn't say anything about being able to, you know, WRITE A BOOK. And any agent you will want has seen at least a hundred queries that are absolute, embarassing shit from English majors, at least as many from doctors and lawyers, etc. ad nauseum.

credits say you can write a novel. Not that you can cram, not that you've had neuro, not that you wrote a Komen grant, and not that you sat your ass through a lot of classes. One of the worst writers I know is an English major, teaching kids. The rest are scientists (I'm a biologist, I'm surrounded by them so they're over-represented probably) and fuckwads who confuse the notion of "artistic creativity" with "Ah shall do whatevers ah like, in the name of artistery artistness".

lots of folks can focus, stick to something, etc...and still can't write a novel. It is that simple.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
If you don't qualify for any of that, you can either give a single sentence just for the hell of it, or leave it off entirely. I did the latter. There wasn't a single sentence in my query about me. It told the story, it said thanks for reading, and how many pages I was including.

The query has a limited amount of space, and every word of unnecessary information takes away from the necessary. Don't worry if you don't have credits or anything worthwhile to say. Agents don't decide based on your credits. They decide based on the book. :)

Kaitie--who had a highly respectable request rate (and now an agent) from a query that included nothing.

You edited this while I was writing my last post, wanted to quote it for truth