agency lists

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

someone on this board told me about 200 agents I could query with a contemporary fiction/romance.

I used Agent Query and Query Tracker and found 15 to 20 at most, and I've already queried most of them with zero result.
I assume I make a mistake with the search pattern! (???)

Another question: if the submission guidelines state something about wordcount from 75.000 on, and mine has 55.000, then it's no use? Or shall I try it anyway?

Ah, and jsut another question showed up: the agency wants to know the "target audience" and my "marketing visions" - honestly said, I never thought about that and I have no idea. What do they expect there? Is it enough to tell them you have a website and facebook account you can use for promotion?

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
There are definitely more than 15-20 agents who want contemporary romance and fiction. What are your search parameters? I'm guessing you should broaden them.

55,000 is way short. It probably is an automatic reject for a contemporary novel--but not necessarily for romance. I don't know much about romance. (Wait. That sounded wrong. :tongue)

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
search parameters: agents searching: contemporary fiction and/or romance. USA. Email queries allowed. When I only search "romance", its 140, but it's more a contemporary with romantic elements.

But if it's too short, I can spare me the whole agonizing query stuff I do for 2 weeks now anyway ;)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
napp,

the query thing has advantages beyond being "make-work".

1. You become a better writer. This was the one I least appreciated or was even aware of before, and, EASILY, the biggest benefit I got. Want to learn to use your words, EVERY word, with care? Get used to trying to tell half a story in 200 words. (yes, I"m a bitch, I don't even give you the 250. part because if I say 250 people shoot for 320, part because I honestly don't believe nearly any query needs even the 250). Anyway, time spent writing a query is ABSOLUTELY not time taken away from learning to write novels...and this is from a guy who does not go in for the "write short stories first" mantra. But queries really are different, in the focus they require. They're like wrenches for dodgeball.....if you can write a query, you can write a novel. Better.

2. You can hit the same agents, but not all the same agents...many do not take unsolicited subs. Those who do, have a much larger "unsolicited slush" pile than "pile the agents I eat lunch with hand-picked for me" pile.

Not everyone needs an agent. I'm not saying they do, or should. But I AM saying that if you're doing this "because getting an agent, and writing a query, is such a *groan* bother" then you are doing it for the wrongest of possible reasons.

Quick

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
(I humbly remind that I did not rant about why do I have to get an agent, but asked about flaws in the search string for an agent and if it's of any use because I just heard 55.000 words is not enough. Because all polishing of the query letter won't help if they have this word count deadline. Thank you)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you are writing category romance (doesn't sound like you are), then 55k is pretty short....

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Here's a good list of preferred word counts for different genres:

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-word-counts-and-novel-length.html

Your novel is very definitely on the short end. Many won't consider below 60K for print. Length is less of an issue for ebooks.

Regarding search string, I would suggest searching for commercial and romance. Maybe women's fiction. Then read the individual listings to get a feel for what the agent reps to see if it's what you write.

Another tip is to identify two or three (or more!) books similar to yours, find out who repped them, and then look at their profiles. Find other agents with profiles similar to those.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
A,

Target audience: who reads mostly romances? who would you like to read your romances? Where on the shelf will others find your book (and next to which published romances)?

Marketing strategy: what do you think would be a good marketing plan to reach your desired audience? Yes, Facebook and a website are good, but it seems to me they want to know how you will "spread the word" about your book.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
well... thanks folks for hints and input.
I'm officially retreating because of word count reasons :flag:
At least I don't have to ponder anymore where to find an agent, how to best phrase the query ... and so on.

Good luck to you and your projects.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A) Word count is way too low.
B) If you search for agents who accept e-queries, it'll only pull up agents who *only* accept e-queries. Leave that box blank as most agents still do accept snail-mail, and many have forms for querying.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A Napp, be aware: the search function at AgentQuery is far from perfect. Some agents participate with the site, some don't. You need to visit tons and tons of agency websites, not just rely on searches.

You should also check out who is buying your genre at Publishers Marketplace (modest fee for a subscription).

Good luck!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
well... thanks folks for hints and input.
I'm officially retreating because of word count reasons :flag:
At least I don't have to ponder anymore where to find an agent, how to best phrase the query ... and so on.

Good luck to you and your projects.

You're not calling it quits altogether, are you? This is fixable. I'm sure there's something you can do to bring your word count into an acceptable range.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you can always turn it into an young adult novel if you don't want to add to the word count. YA novels run that range of word count no problem.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
I try to add the word count, I really try without losing the focus and tight story I have.

But maybe I just sit it out (I mean, the script is out for evaluation right now). If they have rejected it, I can still add words^^

On the other hand, I like visiting my characters again and say hello.