Any medical professionals/nurses/doctors here?

m00bah

Registered
Reaction score
If you were out in the wild and knew you had some sort of drug in your system, what would be the best way to get it out of your system? Could you do some sort of homemade IV flush in some way that would help dilute the drug or clean it out of your system if you had access to water? I have no idea what that would entail.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the drug, quantity, purity, mode of intoxication, duration of intoxication. However if you are in the woods, without specific antidotes things to consider are rest, lots of water and possibly eating charcoal from a campfire assuming hardwood.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Every drug is metabolized in a specific way. What the body does to a medicine is called pharmacodynamics. If you know the drug you're gonna describe, you can research the pharmacodynamics of that particular medicine and go from there.

m00bah

Registered
Reaction score
Basically, it's not a real drug, it's fictional, but I was wondering if some sort of homemade drip could help in any way. If you were able to get some sort of tubing and a needle and had access to fresh water. I just want it to seem plausible that something like that could help, but I've no idea if that's even possible or safe in any way.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
If you were able to use some sort of tubing and a needle to place an IV, water from a stream would be bad in 2 ways.

First, bacteria and possibly parasites. You'd want to boil the crap out of it for at least 20-30 minutes first to kill any bad guys.

Next, straight water is not ideal because of osmotic pressure. Ideally, you would want to add enough sodium chloride (salt) to produce a 0.9% solution. Hope your character is good with math.

There may be some things I'm missing, but those are the first two off the top of my head.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
If you were able to get some sort of tubing and a needle and had access to fresh water. I just want it to seem plausible that something like that could help, but I've no idea if that's even possible or safe in any way.

No it's not plausible. Things you consume just need to be sanitary. Things you put into your veins need to be sterile and buffered and non-toxic or you'll probably at best cause bacterial endocarditis and a list of other problems an arm long written single spaced in 4 point font. When it comes to IV, unsanitary vs sanitary vs sterile is a massive, massive difference. Plus the only reason to use an IV for hydration is if the person is unable to drink enough fluid. If they are so dehydrated and sick that they can't drink water, then there's no way that they could MacGuyver an IV in in the woods in anything resembling a safe fashion.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
In general, it is not likely you will flush out any significant amount of any known drug from the blood by drinking a lot of water or injecting water or other fluid into a vein...

m00bah

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, excellent. Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated! :)