Can You See Any Part of the Space Needle from the I-90 Bridge?

Jay Jennings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jayjennings.com
I was born in Seattle, I lived there for years about a decade ago, and I just wrote something where the MC sees the Space Needle while driving across the I-90 bridge.

My wife asked if you can really see it (she's also a Seattle native) and now I'm wondering if I just made it up. :)

Anybody drive that regularly who can tell me? I tried using street view on Google maps but the far off view wasn't clear enough to see.

Thanks!

Jay

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from Seattle for about five years now, but I don't think so. There's a rise of land at the west end of the bridge-- doesn't the highway go through a tunnel there?-- that I think obscures any view.

Hopefully someone who's a current resident can come along and say for sure. I never drove 90 as a regular part of my commute. Most of my memory of that stretch is the part going across Mercer Island rather than the over-water sections.

Aerial

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Ha! I read this during the time my husband was driving to work, so I called him and asked him. He said no, he couldn't see it. The only place he'd be close was right after coming out of the Mercer tunnel / Mercer Lid, but the ridge is just too high.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You know, in the future you can just go to google maps, and use google streetview.

Unfortunately it was a hazy day when they drove through there, hard to see much of anything at a distance, but you can also click 'photos' on so you can see pictures taken from that location.

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
No you can't. There are a couple of hills in the way, plus, it's a floating bridge and low, near the water.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I would have thought you could see it from the beginning of the east end of the bridge, where it connects to Mercer Island -- because that's up higher than most of the bridge. Now I'm going to have to have someone drive me across there so I can find out for sure.

Jay Jennings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jayjennings.com
I would have thought you could see it from the beginning of the east end of the bridge, where it connects to Mercer Island -- because that's up higher than most of the bridge. Now I'm going to have to have someone drive me across there so I can find out for sure.

Ha! Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I knew the floating part would be too low because of the ridge between the bridge and the Space Needle, but thought maybe back where it crosses Mercer Island maybe.

No big deal, the MC now mentions the skyscrapers in the distance rather than the Space Needle. Not as Seattley, but I don't have to worry about accuracy. :)

Jay

PS - But if you *do* find a spot, right between a couple trees, where you can see it, let me know. ;)

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I am almost certain you can see it when you are over the bridge and in Seattle, right where I-90 curves for the entrance to go North on I-5. Today is not a good day to drive it, since 520 is closed for the weekend, so it will be backed up -- but I'll definitely be driving it on the 10th and I can get back to you then.

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
I am almost certain you can see it when you are over the bridge and in Seattle, right where I-90 curves for the entrance to go North on I-5.

Maybe. I'm more familiar with 520 but the space needle is on the other side of downtown from I 90. I would think the buildings would block the view at that point.

I'm curious now to hear what you see, after you take your drive. Still think I'm right, but happy to be corrected if not.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Drove I-90 today and you can't see the space needle from anywhere at all along the bridge or the curve coming into town. From the bridge, the most visible things are the TV towers on Queen Anne hill and the Selig Tower -- the tallest bldg. in Seattle.

Jay Jennings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jayjennings.com
Drove I-90 today and you can't see the space needle from anywhere at all along the bridge or the curve coming into town. From the bridge, the most visible things are the TV towers on Queen Anne hill and the Selig Tower -- the tallest bldg. in Seattle.

Okay, thanks for the verification, Karen.

I changed the Space Needle glimpse in my book and I also changed the name of the museum to Seattle Museum of Art, which is fictional, so that I don't have to worry about the layout of the rooms where the big heist is happening. :)

Fiction rulez! :)

Jay

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Karen. I was getting almost curious enough to take the drive myself. A pain since I now live in Lynnwood.