• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Present or Past Tense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazywritingmom

Complete NEWBIE
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir...here is a sample paragraph in 1st person past...

Around 10pm, it was time for me to board my next flight. He walked me to the gate, and held me in his arms. He looked down at me, “Julie I have never wanted another woman as badly as I want you.” My insides were churning, and I couldn’t make eye contact. I was afraid he would see my fear. I buried my head in his chest and just said, “I love you.” It was the truth, oh how I loved him. He was quickly becoming so important in my life. I would die without him. He is the one I’d been missing. He kissed my head, my cheek, my ear, and whispered, “I want to make love to you.” And in the next moment, he was gone.

And then 1st person present...

It's 10pm, and it's time for me to board my next flight. He walks me to the gate, and holds me in his arms. He looks down at me, “Julie I have never wanted another woman as badly as I want you.” My insides are churning, and I can't make eye contact. I am afraid he will see my fear. I bury my head in his chest and just say, “I love you.” It is the truth, oh how I love him. He is quickly becoming so important in my life. I will die without him. He is the one I’ve been missing. He kisses my head, my cheek, my ear, and whispers, “I want to make love to you.” And in the next moment, he is gone.

What do you think?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer first person present to first person past three times out of four, but here I like the first-person-past version better.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
The past tense works better, seeing as this is a memoir and you are describing an event that's all about something that has been lost.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think?

I think that in your place, I'd stick with writing that doesn't call attention to itself. Since present tense is uncommon, it keeps shouting, "Don't look at the story. Forget the story. Look at my writing instead."

You probably don't want that.

I'm a follower of Stephen King, who tries to make his writing as 'invisible' as possible, to keep it from interfering with the story.

There are cases where present tense works. I don't think this is one of them.

xprhoff

Registered
Reaction score
Present tense has much more immediacy than past tense; its tempo is much faster because everything is happening right NOW. For that reason, past tense may be a better choice for writing that either involves a lot of exposition, or where many things are happening at the same time. Otherwise, you may end up stepping on your own feet as you race down the page.

Mrs. de Winter

Eating cookies
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the past tense version. I am generally not a fan of present tense.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Past tense. My biggest peeve about present tense is that is always reads like a screenplay.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
For a memoir? I would say past tense. Present tense could work, but a memoir in particular kind of calls for a feeling of remembrance as opposed to immediacy.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Past tense. I can only handle present tense in short passages where it makes sense to use it.

Todd Young

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with past tense. If you have a good reason to use present, then I'd consider it, but generally speaking it annoys me as a reader.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As comes up time and again here, you'll find people who hate present with a passion and others who don't mind it. It's always what's best for the story that matters. In this case, I'd tend to say past as it's a memoir. Either way, don't assume there's anything automatically wrong with present.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Past. ;)

When you reach fifty posts, make the most of the SYW section here too. :) There are some issues going on with these samples, but it's not fair to say when you've just asked for opinions on tense.

Good to meet you ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's all individual taste, but I simply wont read present tense at novel length, and only in a short story when I otherwise love the writer.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I hate present tense, but a memoir is your story, or the story of you, and you should write it in whatever way feels best for you.

amwilde

Registered
Reaction score
Past tense. I will frequently put a book down if it's written in present tense.

^ This. It's too jarring for me. I remember being so disappointed when I bought Carolyn Crane's Mind Games [because of the tense], because I'd heard such amazing reviews. That's probably the only present-tense book I've ever stuck with, and it was well worth it... but for me, present tense is a very tough read and I doubt I'd read another novel-length Pres-tense.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While my preference leans toward past tense, I don't buy the notion that a memoir has to be written in past tense. Nic Sheff's memoir Tweak was written in present and I found it impossible to put down. In fact I enjoyed it so much I ended up reading it twice.

As we like to say around here (all together now) If done well....

Same for novel-length present tense fiction. Read some Moskowitz. She does it right, and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.