PDA

View Full Version : Do you full time writers do these things?

crazywritingmom
05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I found this article called, "Ten Habits of Highly Successful Writers". I wondered if it was true.

Since I'm new, I have no idea!!

http://jessi10.hubpages.com/_3srpolzxrzaqr/hub/10-habits-of-highly-successful-writers

James D. Macdonald
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
It seems to be aimed at non-fiction article writers.

I do none of those things.

leahzero
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Any article titled "the X [things] of [adverb] successful [professions]" tends to be bullshit.

That said, 1-6 is decent advice for fiction writers, but it's also generic advice that isn't saying anything new. Work toward a goal, utilize your life experiences and knowledge, manage your time well, blah blah blah. Yep. Gotta do that to succeed in nearly anything.

Jamesaritchie
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
If you want to make a living as a freelance writer, I think all ten are essential. As a fiction writer, only the first six are essential, but all ten are still good ideas.

Diana_Rajchel
05-30-2012, 09:33 PM
The schedule definitely matters, especially if you're aiming to build a body of work.

BigWords
06-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I like No. 6 - though I tend to juggle my eggs rather than place them in a basket. Occasionally I like throwing them at people, just to make sure they are paying attention.

Cranky
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Interesting list, but I think this one would be better placed over in the Roundtable. Hang on to your hats, folks, we're going for a little trip. :)

ETA: And we've arrived. Carry on!

Al Stevens
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I was a full-time writer of non-fiction for many years. The only thing on that list that comes close to how I worked is #3, except that sometimes I didn't "know" about something until the day before I wrote about it.

I recognize this article, however. Seen it many times. Even done it a few times. It's the kind of thing you write when you don't have anything to write about.

gothicangel
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I think they missed one. Bum On Seat, and actually wrote something [rather than drawing up time-tables, action-plans and outlines.] ;)

Jamesaritchie
06-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I was a full-time writer of non-fiction for many years. The only thing on that list that comes close to how I worked is #3, except that sometimes I didn't "know" about something until the day before I wrote about it.

I recognize this article, however. Seen it many times. Even done it a few times. It's the kind of thing you write when you don't have anything to write about.

I'm sure there are some out there, but I have yet to actually meet a full-time, successful writer who didn't follow most of this list to the letter. They're all common sense, and not following them most like means a nine to five job on the side.

It may be the kind of thing you write abut when you don't have anything else to say at the time, but it's still dead on accurate.

Phaeal
06-04-2012, 09:20 PM
The only habits I need are:

1. Read, read, read.

2. Write 1000 words a day and/or edit for 2-4 hours.

3. Read some more.

4. Complete everything I start.

5. Read a little more.

6. Market all completed work until it sells or runs out of markets.

7. Y'know, that reading thing.

8. Maybe some more of that writing thing.

9. Know what the hell I'm writing about, or else find out.

10. Visualize making my agent filthy rich.

:D

Nymtoc
06-04-2012, 09:27 PM
The only one that makes sense to me is #6--don't put all your eggs in one basket. It is too easy to focus all your time/energy/hopes/fears on one project that may or may not succeed. If you've got eggs in several baskets, your life will be less stressful.

All that other stuff varies from one person to another. Successful writers do not constantly communicate with other writers, exchange ideas, push their projects, engage in networking, etc. Some do, some don't.

It seems people never tire of making lists. :e2yawn:

Linda Adams
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
#7 (about brands) is also something that has been becoming more important recently. As far as I can tell, the established writers don't necessarily need to do this because they're already selling. But I have seen blog posts from agents saying that new writers do and that some publishers are looking for number of followers before a book is published. But the advice is also for non-fiction writers and is not correct for fiction writers. Fiction writers want to attract potential readers, not other writers, who may not necessarily be the ones who will buy your book. But the "brand" is tougher to figure out for a fiction writer. That's something that takes a lot of time to work on.

BUT: Social media should never take away from the writing.

crazywritingmom
06-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Branding huh? That's an interesting thought. Thank you!

Al Stevens
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
...I have yet to actually meet a full-time, successful writer who didn't follow most of this list to the letter.Now you have. Pleased to meet you.