How was your first week of blogging?

RottenWord

Registered
Reaction score
I started blogging a week ago.I had about 100 or so unique visitors in this period and I'm just wondering if this is good or bad.
I made a post with my Google Analytics stats here: http://rottenword.com/?p=152

Also, I have this question:
How many visitors did you have when you first started out?

Perplexed

Registered
Reaction score
Well, judging from the archives Magicmint has been blogging for a year or so now (?) so I am sure there have been numerous visitors...including me since I browsed it last week and just peeked again.

Edit: Rottenword, I have been blogging about 11 days I think and have about the same number of visitors and things. I managed to scrape up 10 followers out of the deal and a handful of comments and "likes." Not bad I think?

RottenWord

Registered
Reaction score
Well, judging from the archives Magicmint has been blogging for a year or so now (?) so I am sure there have been numerous visitors...including me since I browsed it last week and just peeked again.

Edit: Rottenword, I have been blogging about 11 days I think and have about the same number of visitors and things. I managed to scrape up 10 followers out of the deal and a handful of comments and "likes." Not bad I think?

wow, only 11 days and you already have 10 subscribers. That is sick good in my opinion. I can't even imagine when I'll manage to have 5 subscribers, yet alone 10. Keep up the good work.

WWWWolf

Look! A carnival wolf!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iki.fi
My first "blog" was just a section on my web page that I organised in a diary-like manner. This was just a personal page provided by my ISP (and I did this in 1998-2000), so I had no access to usage statistics, and third-party stats tools were pretty unreliable at the time anyway. ...Followers? What followers? RSS was barely even invented yet. :) Hand-edited HTML and stuff. I may have gotten some feedback from folks I hung around with, but knowing that I'm terrible at self-promotion, I probably didn't mention this to them at all. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the blog - the general "chat" one (where I reel off whatever is going through my head) went pretty well the first week, the comic one died on its' ass (the first month I had somewhere in the region of 100 visitors) but grew month on month, and the book review one... Well, that is still a work in progress, so I am not surprised it stunted into life with barely anyone recognizing it as part of what I do (there's bound to be more on the way, as I can't help putting my stuff up somewhere).

Ginosion

Registered
Reaction score
I had probably a little under fifty. Only my close friend and a few people on AW were visitors.

Flamenca

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could get my head around the world of blogging. My novel has recently been accepted by a publisher - which is fantastic - but now I have to learn how to do it to help promote the book.
And it all seems so pointless. With all due respect, why would I bother to surf the internet looking for ramblings by other writers? Some of those I've looked at are banal and boring and I don't understand why getting involved or producing my own blog is going to be of any benefit selling books. Maybe I'm just too old - and I have a life.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could get my head around the world of blogging. My novel has recently been accepted by a publisher - which is fantastic - but now I have to learn how to do it to help promote the book.
And it all seems so pointless. With all due respect, why would I bother to surf the internet looking for ramblings by other writers? Some of those I've looked at are banal and boring and I don't understand why getting involved or producing my own blog is going to be of any benefit selling books. Maybe I'm just too old - and I have a life.

Blog because you want to. That simple. I didn't at first, now I do, and I enjoy reading other blogs. It's hobby like any other.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I think I had about 150 or so the first week and about 3 subscribers--that's because I pushed it so hard. It's a writing blog, and has pretty much taken off in a good way, I guess. In about three months I've had 2,416 page views and now 32 subscribers. I think that's okay, or slightly under average. I've had about 45 comments, not a whole lot.

tri

ETA: What's really strange, according to my country stats, is that the US predominates, but then Russia comes in second, beating out all the European countries. But hey, look at my title. I guess the Russians find something militaristic in the title, as well as the sub-title (Special Weapons and Tactics). Are they looking for me to write about blowing something up?

Last edited:

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten over 700 visits (I started in January). That might not sound great, and I don't know if it is. But I've only got 7 followers. Can't blame people. I'm not good at posting often. My brain won't come up with interesting posts....sadly :(

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
A couple hundred, maybe? But I'm usually quite proactive with visiting and following and commenting on others' blogs. I tend to go blog hopping in bursts every now and then, finding new people with related interests and that sort of thing. Generally, this tends to bring some new people around my blog.

Although, I've been rather lax lately because I got burned out from finals and a lingering infection, so I just posted the first thing in five weeks yesterday. Unsurprisingly, I had little traffic in May. I've been away too long. Blogs require a lot of maintenance to keep the visitors coming and even more to keep them around.

In other words, you're doing fine, OP. =P

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the topics for me. If the niche is more specific I get more traffic at first and it keeps picking up. For example, I had a blog once in a cooking niche and this did very well.

My "how to be a writer" themed content doesn't do quite as well but that isn't my intent anyhow. I created that site to simply help other writers because when I started out with my career, a lot of nice people helped me... so my motivation is "pay it forward" not make money.

However I did throw up Adsense and Amazon ads.

I went and checked my stats. In my first week, the writing blog I have 110 page loads and 63 unique visitors.

Most of the traffic is coming off my Squidoo lens, and I do have search engine traffic already. Blog is about a week old (well, the domain is older, but a week ago I overhauled it and it has all new content).

Last edited:

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Wrapping up my first week tomorrow. Haven't installed google analytics yet, and haven't checked my host's awstats, but I hope I'm getting at least a few visitors wandering by :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
My first week was something along the lines of 100 views. You have to be clever with the tags sometimes. I started to get some followers, but then I got lazy and stopped writing.

This is my third attempt at blogging. I've set up a queue for a month's worth (every Tuesday) of posts because I'm a renown procrastinator. This way, I only really need to make time for blogging once a month. Of course, I will post when I have something that just can't wait.

I write MG and I don't think that there's really a platform to this unless its other kidlit writers. And unless I have something interesting and helpful to say, I don't expect to get many followers. Basically I'm just doing this to chronicle my work.