First "real" run

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not sure if anyone here can give me any idea on how this works or not, but I've officially signed up for my first "real" run. It's a two-mile on Saturday, and I have my nice little number to go on my back and everything. And I'm actually more excited than terrified. :)

The thing is, the information sheet says nothing about when to meet. I know what time the race starts, but do you just show up at that spot and go? The closest thing to this I've ever done was the 6k runs with my students in Japan, so I don't even know how the process works.

My run is at 9:30, but I'm trying to figure out what time I have to be there so I can work out breakfast and all that stuff accordingly. Has anyone ever done something like this before who could at least give me an idea of what it entails and how it works and what to expect? The information sheet is so completely lacking, and the website just provides the same info that I don't even know where to begin. I'm going to try to call one of the places that does registration tomorrow and find out about times, but at this point any information would be greatly appreciated.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a runner, so I don't know the answer.

However, I know there are a number of people who do big runs, located in the Healthy Diet And Exercise thread in Conquering Challenges.

So that'd be where I'd look first. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If that's a better spot for it can somebody move me?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Congratulations on signing up for an official run! The answers to your questions depend on how big the race is. If it's a few hundred people, you should be fine showing up 30 minutes before the start time. However, make sure you allow extra time to find a parking spot -- depending on the race location, finding parking can be a major pain in the butt. Many races play energetic music to pump people up before the run.

The number goes on the front of your shirt, not the back. ;)

When lining up at the start line, faster runners start toward the front and slower runners (like me) and walkers start toward the back. This is out of courtesy so faster runners don't have to run around you.

Did you receive a timing chip with your race number? Some races require you to return it after the race (the website should make it clear what kind of chip it is).

If you received a race shirt, do NOT wear it on race day! That brands you as a newbie. Unofficial runner rule: you can't wear the race shirt until after you've finished the race. :)

Most important thing: HAVE FUN!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I actually knew that about the number. I just said it wrong. :tongue

I don't have a timing chip, but there's a part at the bottom of my number that says it's for "official use" (a finish tag?) and it says both "do not remove" and "do not attach to shirt." I have no idea how I'm supposed to do both, so I'm assuming someone will take it when I get there?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Those tags can be used for pretty much anything, or nothing, depending on the race. I wouldn't worry about them. It's possible the race is a fun run and not timed (if you received a chip, you'd know because it's either two white stiff plastic bars permanently attached to the bib, an orange tag that you can peel off the bib and attach to your shoe, or a little plastic card that you have to return after you cross the finish line.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Oh, most important thing: write your name, age, and emergency contact information on the back of your bib and/or carry ID with you.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Okay, I'm not sure if anyone here can give me any idea on how this works or not, but I've officially signed up for my first "real" run. It's a two-mile on Saturday, and I have my nice little number to go on my back and everything. And I'm actually more excited than terrified. :)

The thing is, the information sheet says nothing about when to meet. I know what time the race starts, but do you just show up at that spot and go? The closest thing to this I've ever done was the 6k runs with my students in Japan, so I don't even know how the process works.

My run is at 9:30, but I'm trying to figure out what time I have to be there so I can work out breakfast and all that stuff accordingly. Has anyone ever done something like this before who could at least give me an idea of what it entails and how it works and what to expect? The information sheet is so completely lacking, and the website just provides the same info that I don't even know where to begin. I'm going to try to call one of the places that does registration tomorrow and find out about times, but at this point any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've run plenty of races before. You show up at the designated spot and you're ready to go. If you run starts at a certain time, you might want to show up early so you don't get to the back of the line. I have show up anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes prior to a race. Oh, and don't eat too heavy before the run, either. I will slow you down.

Have a blast!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! This might be a better question for that thread, but since Susan mentioned it, what is a good thing to eat? I don't really like having a big breakfast, and I try not to eat within an hour of when I run, but I know that if I don't eat well I have no energy later on. I'm an evening runner, though, so I don't know what's a good morning thing that would give me energy but not upset my stomach.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doughnuts!

Seriously, worked for me back when I attempted doing stuff like this.

Have fun!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! This might be a better question for that thread, but since Susan mentioned it, what is a good thing to eat? I don't really like having a big breakfast, and I try not to eat within an hour of when I run, but I know that if I don't eat well I have no energy later on. I'm an evening runner, though, so I don't know what's a good morning thing that would give me energy but not upset my stomach.

for a two miler you don't have to eat at all prior to the race.
have a drink during the race if you fee like you need it but i wouldn't bother if you're feeling good.

eat and drink normally afterwards.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I need to eat something. I've never tried to run without eating, but when I go to kung fu practice on Saturday mornings I usually don't eat first, and I always have a harder time because I have no energy. I can usually run almost the entire 2 miles if I've eaten well, but some days it feels like I have no energy and I end up walking quite a bit, so I'm trying to do what I can to avoid it.

I know it's just two miles, which is really not much, but my goal is to do as well as I can.