Advice for a needy newbie

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

So, I sent my query and sample chapters out a couple of weeks ago (17 days, but who's counting?) to the first 6 agents on my list of about 20.

Amazingly, I had my first request for the full MS last week, and duly sent it off. Two days later, I had my second response: a form rejection.

Obviously the first is amazingly encouraging and the second par for the course. But I'd sort-of decided that my strategy was going to be sending the pitch out to a new agent on the list once I had a rejection: one in, one out, so to speak.

Should I wait and see what the agent who's reading the full says, or lob another MS out to the next person on the list?

Thank you in advance.
Sophie

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Go ahead and send another. A response is a response, and now you can send out a new one to replace that one.

I also set time limits for each query since not everyone responds. Two months in general, but sometimes less if an agent always responded in a faster time frame. Basically I'd check once a week and see how many time frames were up and send out more accordingly.

I also tended to get impatient and just send out five or six at once periodically just because I could. :tongue

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sophie, you have stumbled upon a tradition that is dearly cherished among many AWers: the revenge query. It is considered satisfying, good business, and -- satisfying!!

Vicorva

The Ineloquent Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriaboulton.co.uk
Definitely keep querying! Until you get a 'yes', you're not obligated to wait, and could be wasting valuable querying time!

'revenge query'... I'll remember that.

Anyway, you're strategy sounds great!