Wisdom teeth!!!

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Getting all my 4 wisdom teeth pulled in 1.25 hours!!

I'm scared as hell, will update you guys on how it went (if I survive.)

Haha just kidding about that last part, of course I will survive, but still I'm bloody scared!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had all four of mine taken out. It varies by person, of course, but it's often not as bad as people say.

They gave me a prescription for pain medication when I had the last two out. I took one of the pills just as a precaution when I got home, and then didn't even need any more.

I had to "babysit" a friend when she had hers taken out. It didn't go quite as well for her. Uh, you don't need to hear that story right now.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine went well. It's better to get 'em all out at once. I would've probably chickened out if it were one by one. Believe me, I'd trade 40 minutes of dentist than several months of pain in a heartbeat.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She would beg for another pain pill (I couldn't just let her take them every hour).

"Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, please, let me have another pill. Please."

I had one of mine taken out without anything--not even the area deadened. That was a mistake. That sort of hurt.

MrYikes

He's such fun, til he gets hungry
Registered
Reaction score
I woulda said something earlier, but I had my mouth stuffed full of Archway cookies. You be okay.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Getting all my 4 wisdom teeth pulled in 1.25 hours!!

I'm scared as hell, will update you guys on how it went (if I survive.)

Haha just kidding about that last part, of course I will survive, but still I'm bloody scared!

I had three of my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 31. As I was getting the sedative, I recall looking at he doctor thinking how cute he was. When my sweet grandparents came to pick me up and take me home, the whole office staff was laughing at me. The best I can figure is I either started singing while under, or I told that doctor how cute he was.

You'll come out of it with flying colors (and no wisdom teeth).

Yes, please let us know.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
She would beg for another pain pill (I couldn't just let her take them every hour).

"Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, please, let me have another pill. Please."

I had one of mine taken out without anything--not even the area deadened. That was a mistake. That sort of hurt.

OUCH!

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was all four with only a local sedative. So yeah, it didn't hurt but I could feel everything.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: You'll be fine, A. Easy-peasy!

(My dentist says I need mine out. HECK no.)

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, most people tend not to have too much of a problem. Mine had complications--which, honestly, were the reason I needed them pulled in the first place. The second surgery was worse than the first. Surgeries themselves weren't really much of an issue--so long as your doc doesn't say "uh-oh" over you after trying to get it out for half an hour and then leave you there bleeding, you'll be in better shape than I was. I suggest getting knocked out as a fool-proof plan; I didn't have that luxury. It was the recovery that got me, though. Like I said, I think it was probably from the fact that those teeth had already been giving me complications. Generally, you'll know how bad it's gonna be going in. I really do think that I'm the (oh so lucky) exception to the rule.

Good luck!

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason unknown to me, I never grew any wisdom teeth. Must say something about my wisdom...

Salt

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
This caught my eye because for the last three days I've been surviving on orajel toothache sticks that do an amazing job of numbing up half your mouth and cotton balls. I haven't any insurance and every morning I've woken up with a horrible throbbing pain in my left gums.
Consider how blessed you are to be able to have them pulled. I might have to wait another week before mine are pulled.
When my sister got hers pulled she was bed ridden for about a three days. Her cheeks swelled so bad she looked like a chipmunk. But that was only because she had applied a warm compress to it. So as long as you do that, I think you'll be fine. I'll wait for your update.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Also,don't be scared if you're bleeding like a pig afterwards. A lot of blood flows around the mouth, so anything done to the teeth will make it go out. I had a lot of fun scaring the crap out of kids in other cars while my family drove me home.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Had all of my wisdom toofers taken out in one session.
It took twenty minutes.

I laughed my arse off.

-and then had fish n' chips for dinner-

Is no big thing.

*Although I still miss the wisdom on occasion*

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

Everything went alright. What really bothered me the most was the spray he used so I wouldn't feel the anesthetic needle, which to be honest barely worked... and it got to my throat, numbing it and it was like swallowing without a feeling - not a really good sensation if you ask me. That's when I started to panic a bit haha.

Now more onto the extraction itself... the STRONG pressure (not pain) but pressure in my jaw, especially while pulling the upper wisdom.
The doc was narrating everything because I'd asked him to, and I didn't want a full knock-out or relaxing gas. It was just a local anesthetic with several needles that somewhat hurt, however not THAT bad.

Anyway, after he pulled the 2 wisdoms on my right side, he asked me if I wanted him to proceed and pull the ones on my left side. I then asked what was the percentage of people that used to do them all 4 in one go.
He said 70% of his patients did it in pairs because the whole thing is kinda stressful. After thinking for like 3 minutes about it, I then agreed it'd be best to wait until these ones heal and then go for the rest, perhaps a month till then.
2 and 2.

At least now I've got a healthy side and eating won't be such a pain. Of course gonna be maintaining a mostly liquid diet + lots of ice cream. Nom nom.
Also skipping work a few days this time and then again for the second surgery. There's gonna be lots of PC games, writing, and fun. (I hope)

(I just said the fun part because I can still feel the anesthesia working, but I wanna see myself when it wears off. Jolly God - got my painkillers at hand.)

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rest up and heal

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did they give you some little "packets" to keep in the holes?

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
(((((((vibes))))))

Use a spoon with your milk shakes...pulling on a straw - I don't recommend that.

Well done!

:)

Yep, because of dry socket. He told me spitting isn't recommended nor using straws.

Now I just have to wait until this heals and then go back there for the second round :p