PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth!!!

AGragon
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Getting all my 4 wisdom teeth pulled in 1.25 hours!!

I'm scared as hell, will update you guys on how it went (if I survive.)

Haha just kidding about that last part, of course I will survive, but still I'm bloody scared!

alleycat
05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I've had all four of mine taken out. It varies by person, of course, but it's often not as bad as people say.

They gave me a prescription for pain medication when I had the last two out. I took one of the pills just as a precaution when I got home, and then didn't even need any more.

I had to "babysit" a friend when she had hers taken out. It didn't go quite as well for her. Uh, you don't need to hear that story right now.

AGragon
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
It didn't go quite as well for her.

*cries*

Kaiser-Kun
05-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Mine went well. It's better to get 'em all out at once. I would've probably chickened out if it were one by one. Believe me, I'd trade 40 minutes of dentist than several months of pain in a heartbeat.

alleycat
05-28-2012, 08:01 PM
She would beg for another pain pill (I couldn't just let her take them every hour).

"Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, please, let me have another pill. Please."

I had one of mine taken out without anything--not even the area deadened. That was a mistake. That sort of hurt.

MrYikes
05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
I woulda said something earlier, but I had my mouth stuffed full of Archway cookies. You be okay.

Susan Littlefield
05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Getting all my 4 wisdom teeth pulled in 1.25 hours!!

I'm scared as hell, will update you guys on how it went (if I survive.)

Haha just kidding about that last part, of course I will survive, but still I'm bloody scared!

I had three of my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 31. As I was getting the sedative, I recall looking at he doctor thinking how cute he was. When my sweet grandparents came to pick me up and take me home, the whole office staff was laughing at me. The best I can figure is I either started singing while under, or I told that doctor how cute he was.

You'll come out of it with flying colors (and no wisdom teeth).

Yes, please let us know.

Susan Littlefield
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
She would beg for another pain pill (I couldn't just let her take them every hour).

"Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, please, let me have another pill. Please."

I had one of mine taken out without anything--not even the area deadened. That was a mistake. That sort of hurt.

OUCH!

alleycat
05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Perhaps an instructional video would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4

Kaiser-Kun
05-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Mine was all four with only a local sedative. So yeah, it didn't hurt but I could feel everything.

SWest
05-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Evolving can hurt ya. :Hug2:

Just keep thinking about all the milk shakes!

:)

Kerosene
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I need mine pulled... *Whimper*

Haggis
05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Will somebody please pass the gummy bears?

heyjude
05-28-2012, 08:44 PM
:Hug2: You'll be fine, A. Easy-peasy!

(My dentist says I need mine out. HECK no.)

Ginger Writer
05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, most people tend not to have too much of a problem. Mine had complications--which, honestly, were the reason I needed them pulled in the first place. The second surgery was worse than the first. Surgeries themselves weren't really much of an issue--so long as your doc doesn't say "uh-oh" over you after trying to get it out for half an hour and then leave you there bleeding, you'll be in better shape than I was. I suggest getting knocked out as a fool-proof plan; I didn't have that luxury. It was the recovery that got me, though. Like I said, I think it was probably from the fact that those teeth had already been giving me complications. Generally, you'll know how bad it's gonna be going in. I really do think that I'm the (oh so lucky) exception to the rule.

Good luck!

Al Stevens
05-28-2012, 09:20 PM
For some reason unknown to me, I never grew any wisdom teeth. Must say something about my wisdom...

Salt
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
This caught my eye because for the last three days I've been surviving on orajel toothache sticks that do an amazing job of numbing up half your mouth and cotton balls. I haven't any insurance and every morning I've woken up with a horrible throbbing pain in my left gums.
Consider how blessed you are to be able to have them pulled. I might have to wait another week before mine are pulled.
When my sister got hers pulled she was bed ridden for about a three days. Her cheeks swelled so bad she looked like a chipmunk. But that was only because she had applied a warm compress to it. So as long as you do that, I think you'll be fine. I'll wait for your update.

Kaiser-Kun
05-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Also,don't be scared if you're bleeding like a pig afterwards. A lot of blood flows around the mouth, so anything done to the teeth will make it go out. I had a lot of fun scaring the crap out of kids in other cars while my family drove me home.

KellyAssauer
05-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Had all of my wisdom toofers taken out in one session.
It took twenty minutes.

I laughed my arse off.

-and then had fish n' chips for dinner-

Is no big thing.

*Although I still miss the wisdom on occasion*

AGragon
05-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Update:

Everything went alright. What really bothered me the most was the spray he used so I wouldn't feel the anesthetic needle, which to be honest barely worked... and it got to my throat, numbing it and it was like swallowing without a feeling - not a really good sensation if you ask me. That's when I started to panic a bit haha.

Now more onto the extraction itself... the STRONG pressure (not pain) but pressure in my jaw, especially while pulling the upper wisdom.
The doc was narrating everything because I'd asked him to, and I didn't want a full knock-out or relaxing gas. It was just a local anesthetic with several needles that somewhat hurt, however not THAT bad.

Anyway, after he pulled the 2 wisdoms on my right side, he asked me if I wanted him to proceed and pull the ones on my left side. I then asked what was the percentage of people that used to do them all 4 in one go.
He said 70% of his patients did it in pairs because the whole thing is kinda stressful. After thinking for like 3 minutes about it, I then agreed it'd be best to wait until these ones heal and then go for the rest, perhaps a month till then.
2 and 2.

At least now I've got a healthy side and eating won't be such a pain. Of course gonna be maintaining a mostly liquid diet + lots of ice cream. Nom nom.
Also skipping work a few days this time and then again for the second surgery. There's gonna be lots of PC games, writing, and fun. (I hope)

(I just said the fun part because I can still feel the anesthesia working, but I wanna see myself when it wears off. Jolly God - got my painkillers at hand.)

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

regdog
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Rest up and heal

alleycat
05-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Did they give you some little "packets" to keep in the holes?

AGragon
05-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Did they give you some little "packets" to keep in the holes?

No, he stitched them up. Gotta go back in a week for him to get the stitches out.

SWest
05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
(((((((vibes))))))

Use a spoon with your milk shakes...pulling on a straw - I don't recommend that.

Well done!

AGragon
05-28-2012, 11:23 PM
(((((((vibes))))))

Use a spoon with your milk shakes...pulling on a straw - I don't recommend that.

Well done!

Yep, because of dry socket. He told me spitting isn't recommended nor using straws.

Now I just have to wait until this heals and then go back there for the second round :P

Salt
05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't know if you like smoothies, but Naked juices really do a great job in keeping me energized and healthy. If I was put on a liquid diet, my fridge would be stocked with these.

AGragon
05-29-2012, 01:55 AM
I don't know if you like smoothies, but Naked juices really do a great job in keeping me energized and healthy. If I was put on a liquid diet, my fridge would be stocked with these.

Will keep that in mind.

I'm like 3 hours in since the procedure, and still don't feel any pain. Maybe the anesthesia hasn't worn off yet...

yet...

Tepelus
05-29-2012, 03:11 AM
When I had all four of mine removed, all did not go well. The top two came out fairly easy, but my bottom ones gave my dentist a hard time, and spent more time on me than he had anticipated. My bottom ones were growing sideways into my molars and he had to grind them out, and at one time one of his tools snapped off into my jaw! They had to drag my drugged ass to another room to have x-rays done to find the piece of the broken tool and dig it out. My mouth bled for a week, I was on Vicodin and my face bruised. Plus I lost the sensation of the right side of my bottom lip which has never fully healed, I have feeling in it but it is quite sensitive. After the procedure I went to my work (my mother drove me) to tell my boss that I wasn't supposed to work for a few days, mouth full of gauze and drooling saliva and blood all over my chin, and she had the nerve to ask why I couldn't go to work the next day. Uh, yeah. Bad experience here.

Susan Littlefield
05-29-2012, 03:35 AM
One of mine was impacted. That side hurt for a few weeks after the removal. I had no trouble with the rest.

AGragon
05-29-2012, 04:01 AM
When I had all four of mine removed, all did not go well. The top two came out fairly easy, but my bottom ones gave my dentist a hard time, and spent more time on me than he had anticipated. My bottom ones were growing sideways into my molars and he had to grind them out, and at one time one of his tools snapped off into my jaw! They had to drag my drugged ass to another room to have x-rays done to find the piece of the broken tool and dig it out. My mouth bled for a week, I was on Vicodin and my face bruised. Plus I lost the sensation of the right side of my bottom lip which has never fully healed, I have feeling in it but it is quite sensitive. After the procedure I went to my work (my mother drove me) to tell my boss that I wasn't supposed to work for a few days, mouth full of gauze and drooling saliva and blood all over my chin, and she had the nerve to ask why I couldn't go to work the next day. Uh, yeah. Bad experience here.

I uh... umm... thanks for sharing your experience...

rhymegirl
05-29-2012, 04:22 AM
I went into the hospital to have my wisdom teeth removed. They knocked me out.

When I woke up it felt like I had no teeth left at all! I had ice packs against both sides of my face. Very weird feeling.

I think I had to eat real mushy food for a while, like baby food.

Perplexed
05-29-2012, 05:10 AM
My wisdom teeth are currently still in (does this mean I am wiser than you?) but they are due to come out at some point.

I am anxious....I had a tooth pulled for my braces (big teeth, not big mouth) and it went a little off-script. You see, apparently I don't react well to numbing meds. Drugged up little me escaped the room, wandered down the hall, and promptly passed out in the waiting room doorway. A dental hygienist had to tackle me to prevent my passing out through the glass door (not the strong glass doors, the decorative slashy cutty kind). Then by the time I recovered enough for the tooth stuff, the numbing meds were beginning to wear off.

My dentist also had tennis elbow at the time, so his pulling technique was compromised.

Eldritch
05-29-2012, 05:26 AM
My sons (ages 17 and 19) recently had all their wisdom teeth removed. Neither one had a problem. The only pain they complained about afterward was a sore jaw. My 19-year-old had his taken out in the morning and went out with his friends that evening.

jjdebenedictis
05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
I am so thankful all my wisdom teeth fit. I had a dentist once tell me my jaw is like a muzzle--it's not big, but it's very long. That saved me.

Yo, I'm a werewolf. Werewolves need all their teeth. :D

kayleamay
05-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Mine grew in sideways so they put me to sleep and hammered them out. Once the anesthesia woke up and I realized I wasn't Zelda anymore, I felt fine. In fact, I felt so fine that I decided I could go to basketball practice. Big mistake. I think I lasted about fifteen minutes because every time I tried to run it felt like someone was driving a chisel into my jaw. So, I went home, went to bed and woke up the next morning looking like chipmunk roadkill. It took about a week for the swelling to go away. Oh, this is also when I found out that Vicodin make me vomit. Good times.

I hope your experience is better! :D

dclary
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM
It was Marine Corps boot camp. They require you to have them removed. The Navy dentist told me, after listing all the ways the procedure could go wrong, that if the Novocaine wore off before he finished to let me know. His son was there, watching. I don't know why.

Halfway into the fourth tooth, it was definitely wearing off, as the constant tugging on my teeth and grinding of the drill had turned into a growing agony in my mouth. I tried to tell him -- as best I could, with two hands and power tools inside my face.

"Nhnn! Nnnnh!"

Without skipping a beat, the dentist said "See, Joey? That's why they call them grunts."

Susan Littlefield
05-29-2012, 11:58 PM
AGragon,

How are you today?

AGragon
05-30-2012, 03:10 AM
AGragon,

How are you today?

I've been getting a little bit of pain today. Luckily there's no swelling though :) and that's a good thing.

Most notable occasion was during my nap, I sort of unconsciously moved my jaw and darn that hurt!

Dentist said that I should only take the painkillers if I need them (every 6 hours), but fortunately I feel fine and only took a pill yesterday before going to bed.

That's pretty much it for now. Thanks for asking :)

lorna_w
05-30-2012, 04:57 AM
glad to hear it! I've been thread-lurking and hoping it wasn't awful.