PDA

View Full Version : Rock of Ages

Susan Littlefield
05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Will anyone be going to see this one? I am not into hard rock at all, but that looks like a darned entertaining movie.

KTC
05-28-2012, 03:54 PM
The musical was fantastic. I'm going to see the movie. If it's one tenth as good as the musical, it will be worth seeing. (-:

Maryn
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
I saw the stage version--in your city, KTC, so maybe even the same production, and it was indeed fantastic.

However, it looks to me as if the movie is either horrifically miscast (Tom Cruise as an early-20s guy away from home for the first time, trying to break into the rock scene? No matter how ripped he gets, how great he looks for his age, no way.) or they've made substantial plot changes to accommodate the cast old enough to be that young dude's father. So I reserve judgment.

Maryn, curious if you saw the same French Canadian in the lead

Stiger05
05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm interested to hear reviews of the movie too. It looks good. I haven't seen the musical, but I've wanted to. I don't want to waste my money if the movie is rubbish, though.

Cyia
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Cruise isn't the young guy trying to break in. He's the aging rocker that the young guy's dreamed of being since he was a kid.

katiemac
05-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Cruise plays Stacie Jaxx.

Diego Boneta plays Drew, the 20-something wanna-be star, opposite Julianne Hough's Sherrie.

BenPanced
05-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Tom Cruise. Bleh. Pasadena.

MsJudy
05-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah, Tom Cruise isn't one of my favorites. But the music is awesome... Don't know if I can get anybody to go with me, though. Not many of my friends share my musical tastes.

Celia Cyanide
05-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I hate this kind of music, but looks like it could be funny. I'm a musical snob, like woah.

K. Taylor
05-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Will anyone be going to see this one? I am not into hard rock at all, but that looks like a darned entertaining movie.

'80s hair band glamor rock. Not hard at all, lol.

Susan Littlefield
06-03-2012, 03:31 AM
'80s hair band glamor rock. Not hard at all, lol.

Seee, I'm a music snob too, because I didn't know that. Anytime someone sounds like they're yelling and plays loud electric guitars, I think it's hard rock.

I listen to mostly soft rock, jazz, bluegrass, and lots of international music.

I might go and see Rock of Ages anyway, and try to drag my beau with me who makes a living off his Italian, Bluegrass, and Irish music. :D

CrastersBabies
06-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Will definitely see it. I think I'm in a huge minority here, but I love Tom Cruise's work. Always have. I have no issue with who he is or what he does outside of his acting, but he always entertains.

Will definitely see this. Love the music I hear in the trailers. But, again, I grew up in the 80s, so it's definitely my thing. :)

Disa
06-03-2012, 05:49 AM
I was on the fence about seeing it- I love the music, but I did not know Tom Cruise was in it. That makes my decision for me, I will not be seeing it. I don't know why but he makes me cringe, always has since I saw him in Top Gun allllll those years ago.

J.S.F.
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
May see it but not decided. I haven't seen the musical except for some bits on YouTube so I have no idea of what the flick could be like. The 80's was my younger generation--God, time goes by quickly!--but I wasn't into that kind of music at all.

As for Tom Cruise, granted, he's more than a bit bat-shit nutso but he can still carry a movie and do well. Knight and Day showcased his comic side, and he was very good--and frighteningly disturbing--in Tropic Thunder. He could def carry this flick and make it rock.

sassandgroove
07-01-2012, 06:24 AM
I saw it today. I thought it was super fun. I was expecting it to be bad but I didn't know if it would be cheesy fun bad or really sucky bad and it turned out to be fun and I'm totally going to buy it on Blu-ray. Who knew Tom Cruise could be a rockstar? The audience was good too, we were singing along to the show and clapping.

BenPanced
07-01-2012, 07:16 AM
I was on the fence about seeing it- I love the music, but I did not know Tom Cruise was in it. That makes my decision for me, I will not be seeing it. I don't know why but he makes me cringe, always has since I saw him in Top Gun allllll those years ago.
After seeing enough of his movies and realizing it's just the same thing over and over and over from him, I quit.