PDA

View Full Version : HATFIELDS & McCOYS WITH KEVIN COSTNER?

thothguard51
05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
While channeling surfing, I saw an advertisement for the Hatfield's and McCoys, a three night miniseries, staring Kevin Costner. Sorry I didn't catch the network...

While series like The Kennedy's were made without the input of the Kennedys, it was still made because they were public figures.

How can a network do a movie about people who are not public figures and not get sued. There are still a lot of Hatfield's and McCoys living, and I have read many articles where they down play the feud, and try to put a different light on what really happened.

From the looks of the preview, this series does not paint anyone in a good light.

Think I will have to go web surfing and see if I can find some additional information on the movie...

escritora
05-28-2012, 06:45 AM
There are still a lot of Hatfield's and McCoys living, and I have read many articles where they down play the feud, and try to put a different light on what really happened.

Are there any specific articles you can recommend? I'd love to read them.

Also, my layman's opinion: The Hatfield's and McCoys are public figures. Just about everyone knows about them.

thothguard51
05-28-2012, 06:48 AM
I just read it was filmed in Romania...

CrastersBabies
05-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Definitely have this on my DVR. There have been a lot of books written about the Hatfields and McCoys (same are there are about celebrities who have movies made about them). So, I imagine they're pulling from many sources.

Very excited about this, though. We'll have to chat it up tomorrow after it airs.

third person
05-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Honestly anything with Kevin Costner makes me want to avoid it. He's such a ham just LOOKING at him will give you high blood pressure. I'll give him The Untouchables and Mr Brooks (and Robin Hood) but that's about all I can tolerate him in sadly. I'll still be tuning in however. Old Timey Hillbilly drama with guns? Lots of guns? I'm there.

thothguard51
05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Bill Paxton is in it as well...

Silver-Midnight
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know the network yet?

Satori1977
05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
It is on the History Channel.

regdog
05-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm a Costner fan so I'll watch more than likely, although after reading a bit about the Hatfields and McCoy's I can't say their story is all that interesting, two families of bullies constantly having a go at each other.

CrastersBabies
05-28-2012, 07:36 PM
This is where Costner shines, imho, in westerns and southern-esque type stuff. I'm a huge fan off Paxton, so cannot wait.

Smiley0501
05-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I feel kinda dumb for asking this but isn't Hatfields & McCoys based on a children's book? Or is it based on real people? :Shrug: I feel stupid for not knowing...but if someone could explain, that'd be great- thanks.

Jcomp
05-29-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm watching, if for no other reason than to support an at least ostensibly history-related program on the History Channel.

Jcomp
05-29-2012, 07:27 AM
I feel kinda dumb for asking this but isn't Hatfields & McCoys based on a children's book? Or is it based on real people? :Shrug: I feel stupid for not knowing...but if someone could explain, that'd be great- thanks.

Based on real people / families who had a genuine, violent vendetta with each other in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Diana Hignutt
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
While channeling surfing, I saw an advertisement for the Hatfield's and McCoys, a three night miniseries, staring Kevin Costner. Sorry I didn't catch the network...

While series like The Kennedy's were made without the input of the Kennedys, it was still made because they were public figures.

How can a network do a movie about people who are not public figures and not get sued. There are still a lot of Hatfield's and McCoys living, and I have read many articles where they down play the feud, and try to put a different light on what really happened.

From the looks of the preview, this series does not paint anyone in a good light.

Think I will have to go web surfing and see if I can find some additional information on the movie...

I remember watching an episode of the Flintstones where Fred and the gang went down South to visit their kin...The Hatfields and McCoys...yeah...a long, small, private war will make you famous.

K. Taylor
05-30-2012, 01:09 AM
DVR-ing it so we can watch the miniseries at one shot. They've had lengthy trailers for this at the movie theater when we've gone recently.

Romania works well for filming Old West these days....they can find areas that look a lot closer to how it was than in the US. And of course, it suits the budget.

Haggis
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm watching, if for no other reason than to support an at least ostensibly history-related program on the History Channel.
Agreed. They're not killing each other on the ice road.

Smiley0501
05-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks, JComp. I'm currently watching Part I and enjoying it. :)

zahra
06-06-2012, 10:01 PM
My sister is in this, playing some midwife. There are quite a few Brits in the cast.