Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
In this thread, we are going to discuss a topic. We are going to continually discuss it. we are not, as we have a tendency to do, going to get distracted, going to provide anecdotes, going to discuss anything but the topic at hand. We are going to prove that we are reasonable, mature, focus-able adults. This will show our spouses once and for all, unless it doesn't.

The topic is:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
To calculate the amount of wood that is chucked, and the other properties of wood chucking, using the TECHNO CNC WOOD LATHE the following values and assumptions will be used:

• The spindle speed of the lathe has a range of 500-2000 RPM
  • The diameter of the chuck is 6 in. approximately 15 cm.
  • A one kilogram block of wood made out of American Spruce with a density of .541 grams per cubic centimeter has approximate dimensions of 12x12x12 cm.
  • An attachment is used to feed wood blocks at a rate equal to the rate of the chuck spinning (1 Block Per Revolution).
  • The lathe is run for 1 minute.
At 500 revolutions per minute:

• 500 RPM x 1 Block Per Revolution x 1 minute = 500 Blocks​
  • 500 RPM / 60 seconds = 8.33 Revolutions per second = 8.33 Blocks per second
At 2000 revolutions per minute:

• 2000 RPM x 1 Block Per Revolution x 1 minute = 2000 Blocks​
  • 2000 RPM / 60 seconds = 33.3 Revolutions per second = 33.3 Blocks per second

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Guybrush: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Carpenter: "A woodchuck could chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can't chuck wood."

Guybrush: "But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood, what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?"

Carpenter: "Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood?"

Guybrush: "A woodchuck should chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a woodchuck would chuck wood."

Carpenter: "Oh shut up."

Alternatively, GOOGLE KNOWS ALL.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
But we would need to account for rest periods for the woodchuck, which is not a lathe, and which would eventually need to pee. Also, are we certain that it's an american spruce that our dear woodchuck is chopping away at? Perhaps it's a spruce, which has less dense wood and a great deal less wood in general?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
On behalf of woodchucks everywhere, I find this thread offensive. Not every woodchuck feels a desire to chuck wood you know.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On behalf of Adults With ADD, I find this thread offensive. Not every Adult feels a desire to Stick To Topic you know.
:tongue

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, I've already forgotten the question. :Huh:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Approximately six to seven posts. Wow. That is probably the AW record for Longest-Kept-To-A-Topic. Someone should record that in the Minutes.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back on Topic -

I don't know how much wood any particular woodchuck could chuck. Personally, I prefer them to chuck a lot. They're more tender that way and larger, too.
Tasty.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I dont' believe there are many dishes you can make with woodchuck. Certainly, I have never seen Cream of Woodchuck soup, nor has anyone a WCLT sandwich. I have had a complete lack of Woodchuck Jerky.

Perhaps I'm just sheltered.

Unless of course, you meant the wood. Which case, you're going to find even fewer foodbased items, though you can perhaps find a number which give you teh same basic taste and texture as a wood-based food product. Anything by Chef Boyardee, for example. Also, Hardees.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
As much wood as a woodchuck would, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I must say, this thread and all the comments from our educated members has inspired me to really stop and think about it.

I was kind of complacent about this issue before but now I believe I will start a grass-roots organization to defend woodchucks and their right to chuck wood.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I dont' believe there are many dishes you can make with woodchuck. Certainly, I have never seen Cream of Woodchuck soup, nor has anyone a WCLT sandwich. I have had a complete lack of Woodchuck Jerky.

Perhaps I'm just sheltered.

Unless of course, you meant the wood. Which case, you're going to find even fewer foodbased items, though you can perhaps find a number which give you teh same basic taste and texture as a wood-based food product. Anything by Chef Boyardee, for example. Also, Hardees.

My cat ate part of a woodchuck once. If it had been chucking wood instead of digging in my garden it could have avoided being the 'chuck of the month' special.

What kind of wood is this woodchuck chucking? It can make a difference when you take into account density, humidity and fragrance. Now, assuming the woodchuck is dedicated to the chucking cause, and that the woodchuck is sufficiently motivated to perform..( chuck the wood or the cat eats you) and that the woodchuck has no disability that would prevent it from chucking the wood, and that the woodchuck has no allergies to wood.

Ummm and how does one assume ADD from a thread dedicated to woodchucks chucking?

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
Ummm and how does one assume ADD from a thread dedicated to woodchucks chucking?

Ennnh! Off-topic comment!!

(see thread title)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Pointing out off-topic comments is off-topic!

Aaaaack! I'm off -topic!

AAAAH! I did it again!!

(er.)

The woodchuck is twelve years old, male, does not smoke, does not have ADD, is from Northern Vermont, and the tree he shall be working with today is a small glade of Birch trees, all in good health, do not smoke. It is early spring.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I woodchuck this tendency to go off topic if I could, but since I can't I shall chuck the woodchuck topic...(although I am in otherwise good health since I do not smoke, though I did one spring under a birch tree when I was twelve years old)...

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geesh! I can't believe none of you posted a pic of a woodchuck!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
pb10220 said:
On behalf of Adults With ADD, I find this thread offensive. Not every Adult feels a desire to Stick To Topic you know.
:tongue

WAS NOToff topic! Someone else claimed an ADD relationship with woodchucks before I did. I just asked how ADD could chuck wooodchucks when it is a symptom of the cause and not an actual woodchuck.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What if the woodchuck sees his shadow? Does that mean six more weeks of shucking but no chucking? Lazy a$$ woodchucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.