PDA

View Full Version : Fight Club: 5 Reasons You Should Watch It

RottenWord
05-27-2012, 12:28 AM
I really hope that posting this isn't against the rules of the forum. If so please delete it and forgive my ignorance. I'm pretty new to this forum and to blogging.

I wrote a blog post on Fight Club in which i give 5 reasons why you should watch/rewatch it. I'm a huge fan of this movie. Actually it is my favorite movie of all times. Maybe we can start a discussion around it and maybe I'll receive some feedback on my writing.

Thanks in advance! :)

This is the blog post: Top 5 Reasons You Should Watch Fight Club (http://rottenword.com/?p=56)

Celia Cyanide
05-27-2012, 01:58 AM
1) If you are looking for feedback on your writing, you made some spelling errors, including Helena Bonham Carter's name.

2) The line is actually, "I know this because Tyler knows this." (you wrote "it." Not a big deal, but I love the movie, too, and I've seen it a million times, so it stuck out. :) )

3) The last reason probably isn't much of a "reason" for people who have not seen the film. If the purpose of this blog entry is to persuade people who have not seen Fight Club to see it, that won't tell them anything they don't know. Everyone remembers the ad campaign for this movie, and everyone has heard the first two rules of Fight Club. What we didn't know at the time was that those 2 rules actually applied to the movie itself. You can't talk about Fight Club, the movie, without giving away some of its secrets, and ruining the experience of watching it for someone else. In other words, the movie is like the club itself--at first glance, it appears to be about guys beating the sh-- out of each other, but there is actually much more going on under the surface. It looks like an action movie, but it's a cerebral comedy.

4) If you want to give someone a reason to watch it (because let's face it, most people are aware that it's considered a good movie) you should say something about its off beat, dark humor, or the social commentary, like what it has to say about consumerism. This is something that people might not expect to see, based on what they know about the film.

5) re: Reason 1, I once heard that when Chuck Palahniuk was asked what he thought of the film, he said, "It made me wish I'd written a better book."

RottenWord
05-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply. I didn't expect such a lengthy response.I really appreciate it. You make some really good points
And about the spelling errors...English is not my native language so i might slip a few ones here and there :)

Voyager
05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Some minor spelling and grammar errors, nothing major since the fixes Celia mentioned. I enjoyed the post, though. I love this movie.

BenPanced
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I've tried watching it and never felt compelled to care about any of the characters. It never hooked me and I was rather disappointed in it after all the build-up I'd heard about it.

RottenWord
05-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Some minor spelling and grammar errors, nothing major since the fixes Celia mentioned. I enjoyed the post, though. I love this movie.

I'm glad you liked it :)

Celia Cyanide
05-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply. I didn't expect such a lengthy response.I really appreciate it. You make some really good points
And about the spelling errors...English is not my native language so i might slip a few ones here and there :)

What is your native language? Your English is very good.

That might also explain the line you quoted. Maybe the translation was slightly different? Just a heads up that what Edward Norton actually says is, "I know this because Tyler knows this."

RottenWord
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
What is your native language? Your English is very good.

That might also explain the line you quoted. Maybe the translation was slightly different? Just a heads up that what Edward Norton actually says is, "I know this because Tyler knows this."
Thanks. I'm from Romania so my native language is romanian :). As for the quote. I don't think that the way it is translated to my language counts. After all i wrote the post in english so the quote should have been the original one. My bad but i fixed it now.

fireluxlou
05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Well I don't think I'll ever rewatch it. It was fun movie when I was a teenager I suppose? I feel I've kind of grown out of those type of films.

Celia Cyanide
05-28-2012, 05:25 PM
If you were a teenager when you last watched it, I would encourage you to see it again. There's a lot you may have missed, and a lot that is much more relevant to your life as an adult. It is a lot of fun, but it's more than just that.

BigWords
05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I feel I've kind of grown out of those type of films.

Would you care to expand on that comment? I'm okay with the fact that certain members of AW won't necessarily see eye-to-eye on what constitutes a good film, but the way you dismiss the film there is... puzzling. What are you classing the film alongside? "Those type of films" covers a lot of ground. Is it adaptations? Politically-aware films? Brad Pitt films?

Specifics are good. :)

fireluxlou
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Would you care to expand on that comment? I'm okay with the fact that certain members of AW won't necessarily see eye-to-eye on what constitutes a good film, but the way you dismiss the film there is... puzzling. What are you classing the film alongside? "Those type of films" covers a lot of ground. Is it adaptations? Politically-aware films? Brad Pitt films?

Specifics are good. :)

I think it's just films that I watched in my teens with old friends. I tend to associate films with certain moments & feelings in my life which sometimes makes me feel odd watching them now. Like I don't know. I suppose with those 'type of films' I associate early 2000 Edward Norton films and early 2000s Ewan McGregor films such as Trainspotting, Big Fish & Moulin Rouge in that way too. I have watched them since but I don't enjoy them the same way, because I associate them with past feelings and moments. Most Tim Burton films fall in that vain as well, hot topic, gothic films etc, actions films that came out in the early 2000s. I didn't particularly enjoy my teen years.

I do this with music too. Like I haven't listened to certain bands albums since I was 15/16 because I associate certain feelings with them.

If they come on the radio or tv I don't enjoy it. There are bands and films which I have no certain feelings or moments attached to them from my teen years who I can listen/watch just fine but they are few.

You can ignore me, I probably shouldn't have said it because it's not really relevant to the discussion I suppose. I'm just odd in my choices. :D

Williebee
05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
There are probably whole lists of films, books, records I liked at one point in my life or another that I don't like now. The rare gems are the ones that you watch after a decade or so and discover you like them for completely different reasons. Fight Club is one of those. There are layers of intent, layers of meaning and extra layers of cynical descension AND dissention hiding in the crazy.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
05-29-2012, 03:32 AM
I clearly need to rewatch it. I remember seeing it when it came out and just kind of going Meh. And this was back when I was madly in love with Helena Bonham Carter...Strangely, what I remember most is being disappointed in the paucity of half-naked men fighting.

Diana Hignutt
05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Well I don't think I'll ever rewatch it. It was fun movie when I was a teenager I suppose? I feel I've kind of grown out of those type of films.

you've grown out of watching great movies?

Richard Alan Phipps
06-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Tremendous action flick with great acting performances out of Norton/Pitt.

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:52 AM
1. you do not talk about fight club

2. you do not talk about fight club

3. if someone says stop or goes limp, taps out, the fight is over

4. only two guys to a fight

5. one fight at a time