old fart needs teen slang

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Young people, parents, help! I don't have teens and quit teaching and I don't have a television so can't even get the half-right stuff there.

I need a prefix that's actually being used today when teens want to emphasize something. Like in my youth, perhaps "super-", thus:

"That's super-cool!" (Go on, you may laugh.)

Twenty years ago, it was "way." And ten years ago, they said "mega-" or "hella-" among other things.

Besides the ever-popular "f***ing," what it is it today?

"I'm _____ bored."

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Honestly? I'd just go with an intensifier that has lasted through the ages. "super," "so," "really," or whatever.

Those sorts of things go in and out of teenage speech so quickly, and are so highly, highly regionally dependent, and/or in/out group dependent that you could end up sending the wrong message by the time your book is in print.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Your subject line provided my morning chuckle! Thanks! I just enlisted teenaged help for this, and got "I'm sooooo bored." They write it that way, too, with multiple o's (while texting, etc.). From another teenage source I got "I'm really bored." By the way, when I say "super," my kids laugh at me. I agree about being careful not to use a term that's too trendy; considering the time that typically elapses between when you write the book and when it becomes available for purchase, the way cool might be mega uncool by the time someone reads it.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both of you. I was trying to come up with some lively way to say it because writing about boredom can be, you know, boring to the reader. But if the voice is right, you can get away with a short paragraph. I have a draft of it now...but I'm always willing to hear more here. Especially if it helps me avoid having to eavesdrop on an hour of teen youtubes to get to verisimilitude.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
"Wicked" and "hella" both sound dated to me. They were popular in the late 90s/early 00s, I think?

Generic so/really/f*ing works best, IMO.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure you write "like" every third or fourth word.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I agree with the suggestions to keep the expressions to stuff that's lasted through the ages. Any attempts to write slang that's in now are going to quickly date the book and if you've never heard of the word, it will probably sound forced. Also, as has been said, different groups of teens talk differently, just like different groups of adults talk differently.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sites like this can be helpful:

The Online Slang Dictionary | Urban Thesaurus

I use this site and similar ones, but with care. It's easy to get something a little "off." Also, as has been noted above, slang changes all the time, so it is a good idea to use slang sparingly--just enough to give your dialogue flavor.

navaa

Registered
Reaction score
....Nobody uses super anymore?

I'm 21 and I use 'super' for everything.

I guess I'm just super lame ;-;

Brisea

Registered
Reaction score
"Wicked" perhaps? "I'm wicked bored." "That's wicked cool."

But I have never been much in tune with slang.

I hear people use "wicked" a lot -- but generally only around the Boston area (and, like, Maine). So I think that may be a regional thing.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter would say "Mad" . . . . ."I'm mad bored"

It seems to mean extremely.

"Hey dad, that shirt you bought me is mad cool."

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee whiz, gang, this thread is getting peachy keen.

:animal

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
I hear people use "wicked" a lot -- but generally only around the Boston area (and, like, Maine). So I think that may be a regional thing.
I too have only heard "wicked" used as an adverb around Boston. Wicked used as an adjective to describe something I've heard in most places, though (eg, "Dude, the concert was wicked")

My daughter would say "Mad" . . . . ."I'm mad bored"

It seems to mean extremely.

"Hey dad, that shirt you bought me is mad cool."
I had no idea they used this in Canada (assuming your location isn't lying :D). As far as the USA, I've heard "mad" used a lot in the south, particularly North Carolina and South Carolina.

Similar to "mad" is "crazy." As in, "I'm crazy bored right now." I've heard this used all over.

I think "really," "crazy," and "soooo" would be your best bets. They're the least region specific in my experience.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
....Nobody uses super anymore?

I'm 21 and I use 'super' for everything.

I guess I'm just super lame ;-;

No, you're not lame!

After socially interacting with people today, instead of just work-interacting with people, I've realized that I use "super" a good deal as well. Also "totally".

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm damn bored."

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
You all are wicked helpful, like totally willing to, you know, like assist me and stuff and I'm, like, mad delighted.

I'd not yet heard "mad" so that was educational, thanks!

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest that, then stopped and thought, "Maybe it's out of fashion already"!

I'm 20 years old.

:roll:

Its soooooooo crazy true.

in a couple of months she wont be saying it anymore . . .

She still says "sick" though.

I just watched (any movie), it was sick, I'm gonna see it again . "

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Go ahead, make shit up.

"I'm beyond bored."

"Me too. Wanna jaunt to the mall?" (lol dunno do kids go to the mall anymore?)

"Naw, it's bunko. We could go get bubble-tea. The kid working the counter is a monster smokestack."

"Assuredly."

I maybe am mondo full of shit, though. I wasn't hip even when I was young enough to be hip. Or, in the words of Grampa Simpson, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
"Hey man, gonna get your wheels out this weekend?"

"Yeah, I know this spot. Twelve hours from nothing. Gonna be a bunch of us there."

"Last time you said that, we ended up in a fuckin' ditch."

"It wasn't a ditch."

"'Keg."

"Fine, if you know of anything better, spill it."

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
"Totally" is probably the most over-used word among young people, along with "really". Especially the phrase "Like, really?"

"Epic" was ridiculously overused amongst my gamer friends, but not necessarily in less nerdy groups.

I know most of my friends through the computer, so that's some of the slang which seems to be universally used around North America.

ETA: I'm totally guilty of using "epic" in the slang sense frequently, lol.