PDA

View Full Version : old fart needs teen slang

lorna_w
05-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Young people, parents, help! I don't have teens and quit teaching and I don't have a television so can't even get the half-right stuff there.

I need a prefix that's actually being used today when teens want to emphasize something. Like in my youth, perhaps "super-", thus:

"That's super-cool!" (Go on, you may laugh.)

Twenty years ago, it was "way." And ten years ago, they said "mega-" or "hella-" among other things.

Besides the ever-popular "f***ing," what it is it today?

"I'm _____ bored."

JSSchley
05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Honestly? I'd just go with an intensifier that has lasted through the ages. "super," "so," "really," or whatever.

Those sorts of things go in and out of teenage speech so quickly, and are so highly, highly regionally dependent, and/or in/out group dependent that you could end up sending the wrong message by the time your book is in print.

ArtsyAmy
05-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Your subject line provided my morning chuckle! Thanks! I just enlisted teenaged help for this, and got "I'm sooooo bored." They write it that way, too, with multiple o's (while texting, etc.). From another teenage source I got "I'm really bored." By the way, when I say "super," my kids laugh at me. I agree about being careful not to use a term that's too trendy; considering the time that typically elapses between when you write the book and when it becomes available for purchase, the way cool might be mega uncool by the time someone reads it.

lorna_w
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks, both of you. I was trying to come up with some lively way to say it because writing about boredom can be, you know, boring to the reader. But if the voice is right, you can get away with a short paragraph. I have a draft of it now...but I'm always willing to hear more here. Especially if it helps me avoid having to eavesdrop on an hour of teen youtubes to get to verisimilitude.

Alessandra Kelley
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
"Wicked" perhaps? "I'm wicked bored." "That's wicked cool."

But I have never been much in tune with slang.

GingerGunlock
05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I've heard a lot of people use "wicked"

There's also "hella"

Mr Flibble
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Swear to dog, if I hear the word epic ever again, I will kill (esp. in phrase, epic fail, mother)

Epically bored.

leahzero
05-26-2012, 10:26 PM
"Wicked" and "hella" both sound dated to me. They were popular in the late 90s/early 00s, I think?

Generic so/really/f*ing works best, IMO.

Al Stevens
05-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Make sure you write "like" every third or fourth word.

Katrina S. Forest
05-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I agree with the suggestions to keep the expressions to stuff that's lasted through the ages. Any attempts to write slang that's in now are going to quickly date the book and if you've never heard of the word, it will probably sound forced. Also, as has been said, different groups of teens talk differently, just like different groups of adults talk differently.

Nymtoc
05-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Sites like this can be helpful:

The Online Slang Dictionary | Urban Thesaurus (http://onlineslangdictionary.com/thesaurus/)

I use this site and similar ones, but with care. It's easy to get something a little "off." Also, as has been noted above, slang changes all the time, so it is a good idea to use slang sparingly--just enough to give your dialogue flavor.

navaa
05-27-2012, 12:56 AM
....Nobody uses super anymore?

I'm 21 and I use 'super' for everything.

I guess I'm just super lame ;-;

Brisea
05-27-2012, 03:04 AM

I hear people use "wicked" a lot -- but generally only around the Boston area (and, like, Maine). So I think that may be a regional thing.

Charles Farley
05-27-2012, 03:43 AM
My daughter would say "Mad" . . . . ."I'm mad bored"

It seems to mean extremely.

"Hey dad, that shirt you bought me is mad cool."

mickeyDs4
05-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Make sure you write "like" every third or fourth word.

Oh dear God, no. Please just no.

But then again I still use "shiny" for everything. Thank you Firefly.

Nymtoc
05-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Gee whiz, gang, this thread is getting peachy keen.

:animal

JayMan
05-27-2012, 06:55 AM
I hear people use "wicked" a lot -- but generally only around the Boston area (and, like, Maine). So I think that may be a regional thing.
I too have only heard "wicked" used as an adverb around Boston. Wicked used as an adjective to describe something I've heard in most places, though (eg, "Dude, the concert was wicked")

I had no idea they used this in Canada (assuming your location isn't lying :D). As far as the USA, I've heard "mad" used a lot in the south, particularly North Carolina and South Carolina.

Similar to "mad" is "crazy." As in, "I'm crazy bored right now." I've heard this used all over.

I think "really," "crazy," and "soooo" would be your best bets. They're the least region specific in my experience.

GingerGunlock
05-27-2012, 07:05 AM
....Nobody uses super anymore?

I'm 21 and I use 'super' for everything.

I guess I'm just super lame ;-;

No, you're not lame!

After socially interacting with people today, instead of just work-interacting with people, I've realized that I use "super" a good deal as well. Also "totally".

Raventongue
05-27-2012, 05:27 PM

I was going to suggest that, then stopped and thought, "Maybe it's out of fashion already"!

I'm 20 years old.

Solunar
05-27-2012, 05:37 PM
"I'm damn bored."

lorna_w
05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
You all are wicked helpful, like totally willing to, you know, like assist me and stuff and I'm, like, mad delighted.

I'd not yet heard "mad" so that was educational, thanks!

Charles Farley
05-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I was going to suggest that, then stopped and thought, "Maybe it's out of fashion already"!

I'm 20 years old.

:roll:

Its soooooooo crazy true.

in a couple of months she wont be saying it anymore . . .

She still says "sick" though.

I just watched (any movie), it was sick, I'm gonna see it again . "

HoneyBadger
05-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Go ahead, make shit up.

"I'm beyond bored."

"Me too. Wanna jaunt to the mall?" (lol dunno do kids go to the mall anymore?)

"Naw, it's bunko. We could go get bubble-tea. The kid working the counter is a monster smokestack."

"Assuredly."

I maybe am mondo full of shit, though. I wasn't hip even when I was young enough to be hip. Or, in the words of Grampa Simpson, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

Xelebes
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
"Hey man, gonna get your wheels out this weekend?"

"Yeah, I know this spot. Twelve hours from nothing. Gonna be a bunch of us there."

"Last time you said that, we ended up in a fuckin' ditch."

"It wasn't a ditch."

"'Keg."

"Fine, if you know of anything better, spill it."

Chasing the Horizon
05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
"Totally" is probably the most over-used word among young people, along with "really". Especially the phrase "Like, really?"

"Epic" was ridiculously overused amongst my gamer friends, but not necessarily in less nerdy groups.

I know most of my friends through the computer, so that's some of the slang which seems to be universally used around North America.

ETA: I'm totally guilty of using "epic" in the slang sense frequently, lol.

GingerGunlock
05-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Go ahead, make shit up.

"I'm beyond bored."

"Me too. Wanna jaunt to the mall?" (lol dunno do kids go to the mall anymore?)

"Naw, it's bunko. We could go get bubble-tea. The kid working the counter is a monster smokestack."

"Assuredly."

I maybe am mondo full of shit, though. I wasn't hip even when I was young enough to be hip. Or, in the words of Grampa Simpson, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

I loved everything about this post.

jeseymour
05-28-2012, 06:23 AM
"Wicked" and "hella" both sound dated to me. They were popular in the late 90s/early 00s, I think?

Wicked is probably regional, as it is still popular around here. In New England, that is.

shaldna
05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Here 'well' is used a lot in that way:

'It was well bad' or 'She was well minging'

It's used like 'very'

*Minging means unattractive

Mark Moore
05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
"Fail! You fail, sir!"

"That was full of win!"

"How about a little H to the E to the L to the P?"

"Chillax."

Also, of course, be sure to inject their speech with plenty of casual cursing and friendly insults that would be considered demeaning among old people:

"F*** you."

"You're my bi**h."

There's also just situations where teen girls get into silly tickling matches in public:

"Hey, stop touching my wienis!"

"Help! I'm being molesticated!"

"Omigod, I have to pee so bad!"

lorna_w
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh I do so love wienis.

Er, that wasn't my morning tribute to heterosexuality, I meant that word.

Pinguicha
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
"Fail! You fail, sir!"

"That was full of win!"

(...)

"Omigod, I have to pee so bad!"

These three. I use them a lot, even though I'm Portuguese and have to change to English in order to say them. "Meme" sentences are becoming very popular nowadays.

For instance, when we like something, we say "Me gusta." And when we're joking around with someone, we say we're "trolling them". We use "Epic win" a lot when something goes well.

And this is mostly me, but I say "Fucking *something*" when I want to say something is great. I call my cat a "bitch" when she misbehaves (but I do so in a cute voice!) and call my other cat a "motherfucker" when he does something smart. Same when it comes to people. But I swear a lot, so I'm not a good example...

heyjude
05-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I had dinner with some teachers recently and they said the new trend (they teach middle school) is to make up words or use nonsense words as swear words so that they don't get into trouble for them. "That girl is a pencil topper" means she's a slut, in one particular class. :Shrug:

So, totally, make stuff up. :)

(I'm about to be 40 and I swear I feel about a million. We barely knew what sex was in middle school, much less did it.)

Mark Moore
05-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I had dinner with some teachers recently and they said the new trend (they teach middle school) is to make up words or use nonsense words as swear words so that they don't get into trouble for them. "That girl is a pencil topper" means she's a slut, in one particular class. :Shrug:

Heh. We did that in high school (1992-1996) but slightly differently:

"Kiss my asprin."

"Suck my dictionary."

(I'm about to be 40 and I swear I feel about a million. We barely knew what sex was in middle school, much less did it.)

When I was in middle school (1992-1996), we certainly knew about it.

Of course, the incoming senior class for this coming fall was generally born in 1995 (add a year for each previous grade: juniors (1996), sophomores (1997), freshmen (1998), etc.).

NikkiSloan
05-28-2012, 11:49 PM

Yeah - I think you're right about that. I still LOVE wicked, but I'm not a teener.

Thanks for the posts - really enjoyed them!

Magdalen
06-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Honestly? I'd just go with an intensifier that has lasted through the ages. "super," "so," "really," or whatever.

Those sorts of things go in and out of teenage speech so quickly, and are so highly, highly regionally dependent, and/or in/out group dependent that you could end up sending the wrong message by the time your book is in print.

Agree with this (ETA: not sure about that "super" unless geek/corn speak) and others who mentioned it. Also read every post and was surprised nobody said "awesome bored" or "awesome" anything!! So where's your story set, anyway?

lorna_w
06-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Set in Oregon/Washington, USA, today. I've learned a lot by reading hundreds of posts on forums for his particular ethnicity of teen, too. And he's something of a gamer, so I sprinkled just a touch of that in. I so love the internet. It's great for all sorts of research.

triceretops
06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
This thread soooo cracks me up.

Just remember to use teen slang sparingly. Two big six eds called me on over-use of it in the same book. I went in and did some heavy chopping.

Over-used:

Knockin' boots
So
Oh, that's dope.
Awesome
major way

and other assorted terms.

tri

Squirrel on a Ledge
06-12-2012, 07:56 PM
What about texting abbreviations? "OMG," "lol'ed," and "WTF"...they're incredibly annoying, but definitely scream "teen."