What does an agent do for a self-published author?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
There's an article in the current issue of The Bookseller, with a whole bunch of stats and research, and a lot of fodder for discussion.

What piqued my interest, though, were lines like this:

the survey found that having an agent was associated with earnings more than three times higher than unrepresented peers

The full article is here: http://www.thebookseller.com/news/self-publishing-under-10-authors-earn-living.html

Can anyone shed some light as to what an agent does for a self-published author?

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple friends who are self published, but have agents. They got agents when foreign publishers started asking questions about purchasing rights. The agent handles those foreign sales. Some of the foreign rights sales they got were in the six figures.

Scott Seldon

Do you hear the people sing?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
As we are all typing in English, I think it is safe to say that we are all working in the English language market (USA, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, and a few other places). In traditional publishing these were different markets. With ebooks, they really aren't. Being all English speaking countries, we don't really need any help with these if we are self-publishing ebooks.

However, there aren't many people out there who are fluent enough to translate their books into other languages. That is where an agent comes in. They are supposed to be experts and negotiating contracts and when you get approached for a foreign language sale or film or television, that is where no matter what your intentions regarding English publishing, you should get an agent.

With an offer in hand, most any agent will be willing to represent you (they already know they are going to make money off the deal), so shop around and pick a good one.

LittleKiwi

Registered
Reaction score
With an offer in hand, most any agent will be willing to represent you (they already know they are going to make money off the deal), so shop around and pick a good one.

From what I've read about self-published authors with foreign and movie rights on the table this isn't exactly true. An offer isn't a sure-fire way of landing a reputable agent.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
As we are all typing in English, I think it is safe to say that we are all working in the English language market (USA, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, and a few other places).

Why should it be safe assume such a thing? Do you not think it's possible that people whose first language isn't English might post here in English, even though they write and publish in their native language? (/offtopic)

Justin_AC

Maestro of Mischief
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alwaystypingfaster.blogspot.com
Why should it be safe assume such a thing?

Because we're all talking/typing in English. Every single SYW post is of a piece written in English. Every book, movie, TV show, video game, whatever in non-writing threads is about a medium that is in English or is viewable/understandable to English speaking audiences. Every discussion that takes place on this board about writing and the mechanics/style of writing is done so with a focus on the English language. Unless I somehow missed the pile of threads about kanji vs. katakana, or rhyming hangul, or the difficulty of finding the right simile in Russian.

I'm not saying the assumption is correct, but it's certainly a pretty safe assumption to make.

I mean, if there was a Spanish/Arabic/Whatever language section of the board it might be different, but there isn't, so it's not. Duh.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Because we're all talking/typing in English. Every single SYW post is of a piece written in English. Every book, movie, TV show, video game, whatever in non-writing threads is about a medium that is in English or is viewable/understandable to English speaking audiences. Every discussion that takes place on this board about writing and the mechanics/style of writing is done so with a focus on the English language. Unless I somehow missed the pile of threads about kanji vs. katakana, or rhyming hangul, or the difficulty of finding the right simile in Russian.

I'm not saying the assumption is correct, but it's certainly a pretty safe assumption to make.

I mean, if there was a Spanish/Arabic/Whatever language section of the board it might be different, but there isn't, so it's not. Duh.

Yeah, every single thread here is in English. And those writing in other languages never seek Betas or feedback or anything. (Password is "vista" on that second one).

Seriously? "Duh"? How old are you?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As we are all typing in English,

We're not.

I think it is safe to say that we are all working in the English language market (USA, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, and a few other places).

The English-speaking market is much bigger than this.

In traditional publishing these were different markets. With ebooks, they really aren't.

1) It's trade publishing, not traditional publishing; and,

2) You're wrong.

Being all English speaking countries, we don't really need any help with these if we are self-publishing ebooks.

That's right. We need no help at all with self-publishing, which is why no self-publishers ever hire editors, pay for cover design, or, you know, work with agents.

However, there aren't many people out there who are fluent enough to translate their books into other languages. That is where an agent comes in.

And yet in my relatively small circle of friends I have two who translate their own work. And agents don't undertake translations, they negotiate deals. I assume that's what you meant, but it's not what you wrote.

They are supposed to be experts and negotiating contracts and when you get approached for a foreign language sale or film or television, that is where no matter what your intentions regarding English publishing, you should get an agent.

By writing "supposed to be", you imply that they're not actually expert at all. So why do you then advise writers to get an agent at this point?

No, they won't. Some agents will take on anyone with an offer in hand; good agents will think carefully about how those writers fit into their area of expertise and will still reject such writers if the fit isn't good.

Why should it be safe assume such a thing? Do you not think it's possible that people whose first language isn't English might post here in English, even though they write and publish in their native language? (/offtopic)

I'm glad you asked that, Terie, because I was thinking the same.

Because we're all talking/typing in English.

No we're not.

Every single SYW post is of a piece written in English.

No they're not.

Every book, movie, TV show, video game, whatever in non-writing threads is about a medium that is in English or is viewable/understandable to English speaking audiences.

Wrong again.

Every discussion that takes place on this board about writing and the mechanics/style of writing is done so with a focus on the English language.

Um... nope.

Unless I somehow missed the pile of threads about kanji vs. katakana, or rhyming hangul, or the difficulty of finding the right simile in Russian.

You did somehow miss them, Scott, and I find your rhetoric on the verge of insulting. I advise you to tread far more respectfully here.

And yet it's a wrong one!

Look again. Seriously: look again. And then come back and tell everyone what you've found.

And don't you ever use "duh" like that again where I can see it. It's rude and dismissive and lazy, and you're lucky that I'm not giving you a time-out just for that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
そうだよね。誰もここに外国語で書かない。アメリカ人とイギリス人しかいない。 外国語で話すことが難しいので、わざわざ学ばない。 英語が第二言語の人もいないね。

じゃ、じつは世界のすべての人が英語で話す方がいいな。 まったく、本当にそう思う? その立場はすごく心が閉じそうな立場だよ。きみは宇宙の中心じゃないよ。

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

It's not. Trust me. Hang around for a while and you will realise that there are A LOT of writers here who don't speak English as a first language. A LOT of writers here who write primarily in another language.

This is an English speaking board, but it's very multi-national and many writers here don't write in English - they just post in English.

Hmmm. Perhaps someone needs to read the Stickies and learn about Rule Number One.

そうだよね。誰もここに外国語で書かない。アメリカ人とイギリス人しかいない。 外国語で話すことが難しいので、わざわざ学ばない。 英語が第二言語の人もいないね。

じゃ、じつは世界のすべての人が英語で話す方がいいな。 まったく、本当にそう思う? その立場はすごく心が閉じそうな立場だよ。きみは宇宙の中心じゃないよ。

Is é seo go léir a amaideach giotán. Ach tá an pointe a rinne b'fhéidir anois?

Díreach mar LABHRAIONN duine éigin le teanga áirithe, ní chiallaíonn sé siad scríobh sé nó labhairt ann am ar fad.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light as to what an agent does for a self-published author?

Assuming the self-publishing is in e-form, and assuming that the book in question is successful, then:

Agents can negotiate for print rights to be sold, if there's a publisher that thinks there's a market for a print version of the books. (such as was done with Hocking's Trylle books)

There are foreign rights, which include, but are not limited to, translations.

There are subsidiary rights - audiobooks, film, television, graphic novel, etc.

There's also the possibility that a successful self-published author wants to make a go of commercial publishing, and needs an agent to negotiate the best deal possible.

With an offer in hand, most any agent will be willing to represent you

Not even close.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I somehow missed the pile of threads about kanji vs. katakana, or rhyming hangul, or the difficulty of finding the right simile in Russian.
я набздела как призрак умершого гиппопотама. (хорошо?)

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Ook spreken sommige Engelstalige mensen hier een tweede (of vijfde) taal. (Ongelovelijk, hé?) Als wij willen meer boeken in onze andere talen lezen, dan moeten wij de schrijvers en uitgevers van zo'n boeken onderhouden. En als Absolute Write alleen voor Engelstalige schrijvers is, dan doen wij dat niet.

Ondanks dat over 't algemeen posten mensen hier in 't Engels is Absolute Write niet alleen voor Engelstalige schrijvers. En de lessen over karakterizering, plot en structuur dat mensen kunnen hier leren zijn ook geldig in andere talen.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to the conversation, my agency also works with clients to self-publish. From what I understand (I haven't gone through the process, but discussed it with them), they have contacts with editors, artists, and formatters and help put authors in contact with those people. They also help with marketing and sending out review copies and what not. Basically just another person helping out with the grunt work, and because they have good contacts they are also able to help authors put out the best work possible.

Dungeon Geek

Science, for the sake of...science!
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to the conversation, my agency also works with clients to self-publish. From what I understand (I haven't gone through the process, but discussed it with them), they have contacts with editors, artists, and formatters and help put authors in contact with those people. They also help with marketing and sending out review copies and what not. Basically just another person helping out with the grunt work, and because they have good contacts they are also able to help authors put out the best work possible.

I don't think editors, artists, or formatters are very hard to find--especially lately, with self publishing picking up steam.

How do agents help, exactly, with marketing? Do they find places to pay for adds? Or go on Facebook and talk on the writer's behalf? I don't get this one.

As far as sending out review copies goes, where could an agent send a self-pubbed novel for review that a writer could not? Again, this one confuses me.

My questions just stem from simple curiosity and are not designed to slam agents or prove some big point about how we self-pubbers don't need them. Rather, I keep an open mind on all things related to publishing.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think editors, artists, or formatters are very hard to find--especially lately, with self publishing picking up steam.

How do agents help, exactly, with marketing? Do they find places to pay for adds? Or go on Facebook and talk on the writer's behalf? I don't get this one.

As far as sending out review copies goes, where could an agent send a self-pubbed novel for review that a writer could not? Again, this one confuses me.

My questions just stem from simple curiosity and are not designed to slam agents or prove some big point about how we self-pubbers don't need them. Rather, I keep an open mind on all things related to publishing.

HA! no offense, mate, but just look at the sub-par editing/formatting/cover designs among self published authors. I could count on one hand how many I've seen that hit all those points. The rest fall short...... very short. I think editors would be the hardest, followed by cover design. Here's the thing: most self published authors don't have a clue what goes into editing. Real editing. They wouldn't even know how to begin looking for an editor.

As for marketing? A buddy of mine runs a very well known review site for MG/YA books. I write reviews for him from time to time. If a self published author sent him a novel, it would not get reviewed. If a REAL agent sent him one, from a client who self published, it would get reviewed. Why? Because by virtue of having an agent - a real agent - the writer has shown that they could get past at least one gatekeeper. That puts them head and shoulders above a lot of other writers (in terms of skill level). Someone who knows what they're talking about has said, "this guy can write."

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

Again, I haven't done this myself so I haven't gone through the experience. This is just based on discussing it with my agent when the agency first began doing this.

As for editors, artists, and so on, I know that I would appreciate the advice of a trusted source on who to go to. Editing in particular is an incredibly expensive endeavor, and I would hate to work with someone and spend the money only to find that they weren't as skilled as I had hoped. More than that, it helps because I don't have to spend my time searching for people I know nothing about.

As for marketing and that sort of thing, I don't think the idea is only that the agent automatically gets the author into places they couldn't otherwise, but that the author has help doing it. Marketing and that sort of thing is one of the big time sinks for authors, and I would gladly take someone who could help me with that and give me more time to get writing done. I see the whole thing as that sort of thing, actually. Having someone else there to help lend a hand so that I wouldn't have to do it on my own.

If I ever choose to do this, I'll be sure to let people here know what the process is like and whether or not I found it useful.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's easy to find editors and artists. But it's tough to find GOOD ones. And, increasingly, especially with the rise of self publishing, there are more and more folks setting themselves up as 'editors' who have no experience and no clue. The key, I guess, is being able to spot which ones are which.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Self Published authors will garner a relationship with a Foreign Rights or Subsidiary Rights agent to sell or represent them when trying to sell these rights for books.

HOWEVER, you don't need an agent to negotiate terms with you. If you already have a contract - use a lawyer who deals with publishing contracts and they will workout for you just fine - BUT if you want to capitalize off the fact that you have sold rights so that others will purchase rights also, an Agent would be utilized OR there are people in the publishing business that will work with you to push more. I'd advise joining IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association) who has a co-op at the Frankfurt book fairs and is a good way to sell your rights. Also, put them up on Publishers Marketplace.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The *book* is self-published. The author may well be published in a variety of ways, including sales by agent. And it is rather unsurprising that an author with agented work (probably conventionally published with a large press) sells better n the self-pub arena.

The survey asked if you had an agent, not if you had an agent handling your self-published work. I would hazard a guess that the latter is very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.