What exactly is an "imprint?"

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Clarion books is an imprint is Hougfhton Mifflin. How does this work on a business level? If I submit to one and am rejected, can I submit to the other? Or do they not have sperate submission departments usually?

Im so clueless on business practices.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It really depends on the company, bluejester. There are quite a few multi-national mega-publishers who have purchased formerly independent publishers, and new lines and imprints being started on a daily basis. Here's a really good definition from Tor Book's website. Not all publishers treat imprints and divisions the same, but this will get you started on understanding how it works. Hope it helps!

Imprints explained (also Lines, Lists, Logos, and the Logic Thereof)

A publishing company is a business, and as such it has an incorporated name, which isn't always the same as the name on the spines of the books. We'll call the name of this business the legal name.

That publishing company (especially if it's an international company, like Tor's parent company), may be organized into divisions, each of which will have its own legal name.

Within each of these divisions, there will be a number of imprints, which are the "public" names for groups of books (sometimes also called lines or lists) used for marketing purposes. Many of these imprints also have their own graphic devices or logos which help to identify particular lists or imprints.

A Useful Fiction: Right about now, it might be helpful to explain one of the most important reasons why publishers create separate imprints for lines of books.

Most publishers don't actually sell many of their books to people. Instead, the publisher's sales representatives sell them to booksellers (including wh olesale distributors, rack jobbers, and bookstore owners), who in turn sell them to the public.

Most publishing lists are arranged in descending order of commercial potential, with the top book on the list (or lead) being the one the publisher expects will sell the most, and get the widest distribution, with the ones below it getting proportionately less. Since booksellers have limited funds, they sometimes run out of steam (and money) about halfway down the list, leaving promising but less-well-known titles behind.

It's a strange truth of publishing that if a sales representative closes his or her sales kit in the middle of a presentation, and opens another one with a different imprint on the cover, the bookseller will frequently start again at the top. This different imprint is thus a useful fiction that allows both the sales representative and the bookseller to pretend that the imprint is, in fact, a brand-new publisher. As a result, more books get sold.

This explains the existence of the Tor Fantasy logo -- you know, the shield-shaped one, with the mountain and stars. It's used on the spines of mass-market books in the Tor Fantasy line, which is not a separate imprint but does have a separate sales kit. (We've stopped using it on the spines of Tor hardcover fantasy, except for some ongoing fantasy series that already had the mountain-and-stars logo on their earlier volumes, so they'll look nice sitting next to each other on the shelf.)

Reasonably clear so far? Good. Let's talk about how this all applies to Tor/Forge/Orb.

Macmillan Publishers Ltd.: But first, a word about our parent company. Macmillan Publishers Ltd. was until recently a privately-held British company owned by the Macmillan family (yes, the same family that produced the Prime Minister). As you might expect, Macmillan has several British divisions, including Pan Books, Picador, Macmillan General Books, etc.

(A historical footnote: Macmillan Publishers Ltd. used to own the American company called Macmillan. However, that company was sold to an American owner in 1950 and now has no connection to Macmillan Publishers Ltd. For a while the American Macmillan was owned by a different British concern, the Maxwell Communications Group, but it's now owned by Simon & Schuster.)

In April 1995, the Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH, a.k.a. the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, acquired a majority interest in Macmillan Limited. The Holtzbrinck Group, headquartered in Stuttgart, already owned a substantial of other trade, academic, and business-oriented publishing operations on both sides of the Atlantic, including numerous German publishing houses, newspapers, and periodicals , Scientific American magazine, and the publishing houses Henry Holt, Farrar Straus Giroux, and W. H. Freeman. The Macmillan family continue to be minority shareholders in Macmillan Limited.

St. Martin's Press: Because it thought the idea of owning an American publishing company was still kind of neat, in the mid-1950s Macmillan U.K. started another company in the U.S. called St. Martin's Press. (Another historical footnote: it was called St. Martin's Press because, at the time, Macmillan Publishers Ltd. was headquartered on St. Martin's Lane in London.)

Tom Doherty Associates: Meanwhile, in 1980, a fellow named Tom Doherty decided to set up his own publishing company. Tom was at that point publisher of Ace Books, a venerable paperback publisher that had more recently been bought, and continued as an imprint, by Grosset & Dunlap. After leaving Ace, with the help of some investors, Tom formed a corporation with the legal name of Tom Doherty Associates, , whose business it was to publish books. (You may have noticed the words "A Tom Doherty Associates Book" on the covers and title pages of some of our books. Now you know why.)

It goes on and on, but this gives you the general idea of how it works. If you happen to want to read the rest of the history, it's here

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The publishers of my first five books (which were independent when I published with them) are all now either divisions or imprints of larger houses.

The publishers of my third, fourth, and fifth books are now divisions of my current publisher.

Wow.

- Victoria

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
The short answer to the original question is that an "imprint" is a brand. In SAT analogies test form (you can all run away screaming now),
Del Rey : Bertelsmann GmbH :: Pontiac : General Motors Corporation​
That is, an imprint is a subset of a publisher's product line, usually somehow related. In the example above, "Del Rey" is a US speculative fiction subset of Bertelsmann's entire product line of books. Bertelsmann (or its US division, anyway—sometimes these things have a dizzying number of levels reminiscent of a military TO&E) will contract for printing, warehouse, fulfill orders, pay royalties, etc., although the book will be stamped with the Del Rey brand name.

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
So if a publisher and its imprint handles fantasy books I can probably submit to both?

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
bluejester12 said:
So if a publisher and its imprint handles fantasy books I can probably submit to both?
Commercial categories still need to be respected. Sending something to an imprint it doesn't handle is a waste of time, money, effort, and credibility.

I also think you misunderstood one thing: All editors work for imprints, even if the "brand name" is the same as the corporate parent. By analogy, remember that there is a "GM Truck Division" of General Motors. I don't send something to General Motors that pertains only to trucks. And before you start with the "but my book fits in more than one category," remember that even if it does, you'll need to pitch it to fit an imprint's list.