How are exclusives from agents treated?

mkassel

Registered
Reaction score
Last week, my agent submitted my book to an editor she knows at a big-6 house where she thinks it would be a good match. Ordinarily, I'm a patient person, but I'm turning into a gmail-obsessed nutcase, so I'm wondering if I might expect a response quicker than if my book was a regular submission? Do editors prioritize exclusives from agents they know?

Thank you!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week, my agent submitted my book to an editor she knows at a big-6 house where she thinks it would be a good match. Ordinarily, I'm a patient person, but I'm turning into a gmail-obsessed nutcase, so I'm wondering if I might expect a response quicker than if my book was a regular submission? Do editors prioritize exclusives from agents they know?

Thank you!

Honestly, you need to talk to your agent about what exactly she and the editor talked about in terms of timeframe. There is no general treatment across the board and your agent is the best source of what you specifically can expect with regard to this submission.

Talk to your agent :)

And be patient. Knitting is a good hobby. Painting. Long walks... Or, write something new. :)

good luck!

~suki

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
A big-6 publisher had my MS for eight months. Eight. Months. At first it went to one editor. She moved to a new house so it went to another. That editor loved it and took it to committee. In committee, it was given to two other editors to read. One loved it; the other shot it down.

The moral of this story is that it takes as long as it takes to get an answer. Stop checking your email every five minutes and take a deep breath. Sometimes, the trip is fast. Sometimes the trip is agonizingly slow. And either way doesn't mean your MS stands a better chance because it's exclusive than others.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I don't think there's a concrete answer to this, sadly. I agree that you should ask your agent about an estimated timeframe. It could take a week, it could take months. My agents submitted my MS to an editor she's close with for a "weekend exclusive" (aka, my agent gave the editor one weekend to read it and get back to her before she took it elsewhere, and the editor did), so it depends on the relationships, the agent's clout, and about a billion other factors.

I'm sorry, I know the waiting part is terrible!

mkassel

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for the input. I know, I need to chill. And I know, there's no answer. This is my first trip on the submission merry-go-round and I'm trying to be cool about it. "Trying," is the operative word here. I don't want to be the equivalent of the six-year-old in the back seat of the car chanting "Are we there yet?"

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It makes it easier, knowing so many others have gotten through this with their sanity intact.