Request for Stats

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I am fundamentally math-phobic, and haven’t had a statistics class for more years than I wish to acknowledged. Nonetheless …

I haven’t pitched a novel to agents for quite a few years, and it seems to me that agent-response matters have changed a great deal. In particular, response times seem longer and the reliance on the “no news = no thanks” method of response appears to have increased.

Not that this will be absolutely scientific inquiry, but I’d like to test my theory by asking folks:

In terms of response times in days to your query, how many queries have remained unanswered for more than 2 months?

And of those that have received responses, what has been the MEAN and MODE in terms of days between sending the query and receiving a response?

MEAN = half of the values are above this number, and half of the values are below this number. For example, if you’ve sent out six queries, and received responses in 3, 3, 4, 6, and 8 days … 4 would be the MEAN.

MODE = the most common value. For example, if you’ve sent out six queries, and received responses in 3, 3, 4, 6 and 8 days … 3 would be the MODE, because it came up twice.

Note that I’m not asking for the AVERAGE number of days. Since “no news = no thanks” would have to have a value of infinity, the average would be too skewed to be of any use.

I can’t provide my own concrete data at this point, because I haven’t reached the two-month-waiting period for all the queries I’ve sent. I sent out 41 queries and still have 29 outstanding, with 5 requests and 7 passes. I will, however, crunch the numbers after I pass the two month mark.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Litmatch.com is a good place to check; people can report when they query, when they get responses, etc. right on a particular agent's page.

Even if I remembered the length of time agents who didn't end up repping me had my queries, I wouldn't be sitting down to do math. Sorry.

(I'm sure a supermod will be along to move this thread to the correct room asap. :) )

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Query Tracker shows you average response time. It even comes with handy-dandy graphs. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Query Tracker.

You're not serious with the math, are you? Agents take a long time. Almost always. Some don't respond. Ever. Just query and keep writing.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to figure the math on query tracking will drive you nuts and an exercise in futility...

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Query Tracker, as Stacia said, is crazy-go-nuts useful for making yourself go crazy-nuts over stats.

But I do recommend the premium upgrade. Analyzing data makes for some really terrific procrastination, because it's almost, not quite, entirely unlike working.

ThunderBoots

Registered
Reaction score
Query Tracker.

You're not serious with the math, are you? Agents take a long time. Almost always. Some don't respond. Ever. Just query and keep writing.

OK, it seems like I have to head on over to this Query Tracker website ... I'll either slake my curiousity or drown in data, I guess.

BTW: Yes, I was serious about the math. I certainly did not mean to suggest, however, that anybody should crunch numbers instead of querying and writing. Even those who (shudder) enjoy math.

As for pointing out the possibility of non-responders ... so true. That's why I said I didn't want to bother with averages because I know that some agents never respond (i.e. response time = infinity).

ThunderBoots

Registered
Reaction score
Analyzing data makes for some really terrific procrastination, because it's almost, not quite, entirely unlike working.

Yes! And it also can give one the pleasant (although completely divorced from reality) feeling that you're DOING something rather than just waiting for an agent's response.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Pony up the $25 for the annual membership.

I think you'll like it. The functionality is pretty basic, but it covers average, median, fastest, and slowest response times, you can sort agents by reply rate, there are lists of fastest/slowest/non-responders, but, and I say this as someone who spent the first month after querying obsessing about the numbers to a dysfunctional level and who now maybe checks QT once every evening, tops: query and forget about it. Then it's a *really* pleasant surprise when an agent with statistically poor numbers asks for a full.

The thing about non-responders is: if they like the book, they respond, and that's all you want. If you don't query, they'll *never* respond.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
BTW: Yes, I was serious about the math. I certainly did not mean to suggest, however, that anybody should crunch numbers instead of querying and writing. Even those who (shudder) enjoy math.

I guess I'm not sure why it's important, having those statistics. Does it really matter? And math can't account for an agent having a bad day, a baby, or a sudden illness, any of which would skew things.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that there is only one percentage: 50%. It will happen or it won't. I'm happier without complicated math. :tongue

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
You're going to find the numbers all over the map depending on the agent, and it also seems like a really good way to make yourself absolutely crazy. Part of the problem is, to get really good numbers, you need a large sample size, and not everyone reports their successes and failures on query tracker or litmatch or whatever.

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
So I love maths and have been known to create complicated excel spreadsheets for pretty much everything in life (surprisingly, I am relatively normal in person). But, with agent responses, I don’t see any pattern for my own submissions other than an increase in full requests/personalised rejections with each book. Some of those came in within minutes, others took months. For form rejections, again they differ so widely that I couldn’t put an accurate average on response time without it be completely meaningless (the calculated P value would be close to 1...)

But if anyone is interested, I will happily create them an excel spreadsheet for automatically creating graphs for full request rates for different books/queries. There’s nothing like a pretty bar chart to raise spirits after another rejection, right?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Yes! And it also can give one the pleasant (although completely divorced from reality) feeling that you're DOING something rather than just waiting for an agent's response.

you could get that from writing, or reading, and either one would probably be more useful.....just sayin, if you find math a hobby, fine, but this is a raw number with so many variables it is a useless exercise in terms of any predictive merits....you're just shuffling numbers. During time you could be working on your writing craft.

So yeah, if you want to do so, fine, but it is abou the equivalent to watching television or whatever anyone else does for theri "down time"....just a useless side hobby. So long as you accept that and don't try to use it to predict, or as a procrastination tool, convincing yourself you're doing "writer-stuff" there's no harm in it, but no real use, either.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The math will change for every query, and for every manuscript. Average applies ONLY to your queries, and to your manuscripts.

The better you writer, the more the math works in your favor. The worse you write, the more the math works against you.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you crunch all the numbers, it's not going to clearly give you an idea of how agents will respond to your work. Some will reply quickly. Some will never reply. You only need one. Depends on your query, your genre, your writing, your book, their relative workload, what they had for breakfast that morning. Query Tracker is good for seeing if you're overdue a response, but otherwise, you're better off letting it go and working on your next book, in my humble opinion.

I say this as a librarian/informatic geek.

ThunderBoots

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure why it's important, having those statistics. Does it really matter? ... I'm happier without complicated math. :tongue

No, it's not important -- I was just wondering if my hunch that things had changed, response-time-wise (especially with the "no response = no thanks" folks), over the last six years or so.

In the greater scheme of things, the numbers don't matter at all. At least, not in and of themselves.

Scratching an itch, curiousity-wise, though -- may or may not matter.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
After I finished the very intense experience of writing my book and its treatment, synopsis, query, and proposal, I dove into the geekological side of selling it. I'm another lover of stats, reports, graphs, Outlook alerts, all that jazz. I did a lot of online management of my query process in the course of landing my agent. I paid for the Query Tracker membership and used that site to death -- columns, sorts, dates, categories, all the cool tools it offers. I also used it to research hundreds of agents and visit their websites. I read tons of comments and got a much MUCH better feel for the business end of getting published.