Sent partial instead of full

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting an agent and I've already sent a few queries out to my some of my top agents. I've had a few request for partials and one full. I have been waiting to hear back from the one who requested a full after I sent in materials (all this was done through email). Today, I checked the email I sent her (just to make sure I put the right email address and that this was 'requested materials') and I sent her the partial and not the full! either because of my stupidity or because they're right next to eachother in my computer and I attached the wrong one.

What should I do?!

I know when querying, writers can make some silly mistakes like saying mr. instead of ms. or getting names wrong/mispelled. But this seems like a pretty big error! and it has been a while already if I tell her my error and send the full it will not only make me look bad but possibly put me lower in the queue. Should I just wait to hear back, she might not even read the whole thing and send me a rejection anyway. Or if she likes it she would just email and ask for more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

(Slaps hand to forehead)

Also, on another note, if an agent has requested material and you already have fulls/partials out with other agents, should you let them know?

Thanks so much!!!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My advice, for whatever it's worth . . .

If she asked for a full, correct the mistake and send it. Don't go in to a lot of details, just explain that you made a mistake and apology for any inconvenience. Keep it businesslike.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Deep breaths :)

Respond to the same email chain, attach the full, and say, "I apologize, I just realized I sent you my partial file and not the full. The full is attached. Thank you!" If she requested the full, she probably wants the full. Don't worry. I think most agents understand that a certain amount of nerves goes along with querying and little slip-ups happen. This doesn't sound like a major one. Don't grovel or prostrate, just keep it brief and professional. Sorry for not getting you the correct file, here it is.

As for notifying agents of other material you have out, I wouldn't unless they ask. While I was querying, I had one or two agents ask if I had any material out with other agents, but otherwise I think they just assume it's a possibility unless they asked for an exclusive.

You're okay! Keep going!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
My advice, for whatever it's worth . . .

If she asked for a full, correct the mistake and send it. Don't go in to a lot of details, just explain that you made a mistake and apology for any inconvenience. Keep it businesslike.

Yep. This. There's no one on the planet who hasn't attached the wrong file to an e-mail, so no worthwhile agent should hold that against you.

And good luck!

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Whew! I feel so much better. Thanks for all the great advice, I guess I was just worried that she would considered as not being prepared and dismiss me but if the work is good then it should speak for itself, right? Thanks again!

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
We all make mistakes. I just yesterday sent a "zomg thanks for the full request, I've attached the manuscript" email without actually attaching anything, so immediately emailed back with the attachment and signed off "idiotically yours," which apparently got an actual laugh out of the agent, as she wrote back to share that fact.

*Anything* you can do to show agents you're a) professional, b) easy-going, and c) just a pleasant person to work with will, imo, usually be a good thing.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
We all make mistakes. I just yesterday sent a "zomg thanks for the full request, I've attached the manuscript" email without actually attaching anything, so immediately emailed back with the attachment and signed off "idiotically yours," which apparently got an actual laugh out of the agent, as she wrote back to share that fact.

*Anything* you can do to show agents you're a) professional, b) easy-going, and c) just a pleasant person to work with will, imo, usually be a good thing.
This.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be fine if you respond to the chain of emails with a short apology and the correct file. Agents know that mistakes happen.

I recently sent a full to an agent (agent A) and didn't realize I sent her the full I had prepared for another agent (Agent B). Agent B requested my original (and highly personalized) query letter to be pasted as the first page of the full manuscript so she could remember who I was when she opened the file on her e-reader. So, basically, when Agent A opened the file, she not only saw a query letter addressed to Agent B as the first page, but two paragraphs of "you remember me from..." stuff. And guess what? It didn't matter to Agent A at all. She is now my agent.

*shrug* Mistakes happen.

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Sending the full ms.

:e2cloud9::e2bouncey:e2cloud9:Hi, I'd say it's fine to just send the full ms. along, perhaps putting that in the subject line. "Full ms. requested." In the copy of the email you could simply say, "sent partial by mistake. Here is the full ms. requested."

I think it's nice to let agents know you're "actively seeking representation" in those words in your query. Especially if they ask, you should let them know as a courtesy.

Best wishes!